Asrock 330: problems with 720p60fps stuttering
I run SVN:28146 on my Asrock 330, and so far it played all files greatly, 720p, 1080p you name it.

Last week I bought a kodak zx3 playsport minicamera that records in 720p60fps and I find that XBMC suffers: CPU-usage spikes, and I see dropped frames.

I attached a lof file where I played the file 100_0006.MOV several times, it comes straight from the camera encoded as quicktime mov h.264. In the debug on screen info I witnessed 101 dropped frames (it is a short clip) and high cpu usage. Movie was visibly stuttering.

Is 720p60fps just too much for the asrock 330, or is XBMC not able to decode it correctly? Some clips do seem to play fine, but here I was panning a lot so maybe there was too much information?

http://pastebin.com/AMusgpUb
Can you update to r28275 and see if that fixes anything, there were some changes made to the vdpau scaling which improve performance.
I would absolutely like to try that. Can I just run the "sudo apt-get update" routine to get that version?
That should get you r28256 which is fine too.
I just updated and upgraded and am indeed running r28256. Unfortunately the clip still stutters heavily. I made a new logfile:

http://pastebin.com/SdZKp01A

is 60fps too much perhaps?
Can you try without thumbnail generation, it seems to be very busy with that, it might decrease performance.
Thanks! That fixed it! Low cpu usage, and only a few framedrops when the clip starts, nothing when it is playing!

Weird thing is that I don't have any thumbnails for these files. Maybe it is struggling, and that's why cpu is so busy? I guess after opening the folder once that XBMC should once generate the thumbnails, but it is not succeeding?

Sidestep: when I bring extra info in picture I see 4 cpu percentages, as I have a dual core only the first two have a value. The last one is cpu-xbmc and it sometimes reaches close to 100%, but what exactly is this value?
There seem to be a lot of files in /media/misc/Videos/Kodak zx3/ and it's generating thumbnails for all of them.
You could wait a while to let xbmc finish generating them.
There are 32 files, but I have never seen any thumbnails. I think it is failing on creating them, and therefore it keeps on trying, everytime I open that folder.
Is it a bug that thumbnails can't be generated for this type of file, and that XBMC keeps on trying? I searched but couldn't find out so far.
kees667 Wrote:Is it a bug that thumbnails can't be generated for this type of file, and that XBMC keeps on trying? I searched but couldn't find out so far.

Anyone?

Also I kept playing the same clip over and over again. I can't help but notice that some parts sometimes look a little choppy. I have the onscreen info available and it is definitely not dropping frames, and framerate is only updated on screen every x seconds so hard to tell if that drops. Any suggestions on how to further investigate this? Is there anything I can look for in the log files?
kees667:
Yea it was a bug previously. It isn't doing that in current svn thou.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks,

Is there a more current svn than r28256? I thought there was a freeze. Excuse me for not trying but every update messus up several djustments I made to IR buttons etc so every updates costs me a few hours work.
Found out that r28256 is latest stable build, and additonal work is needed to update beyond that (but I guess for a good reason as those newe builds are currently not recommended for the majority).

Is the .mov thumbnail problem fixed in a build after 28256? I just rechecked but I still have the issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asrock 330: problems with 720p60fps stuttering0