problem with External HDD
I just bought and Acer Aspire Revo for use with XBMC. and installed the live build without a hitch. I have all my files stored on a 1TB external Hard Drive, however I can't add it as a source in XBMC. I can't even see the drive. I can only find the Revos internal drive. is there any way I can get it to appear so I can add it as a source?
blok2004 Wrote:I just bought and Acer Aspire Revo for use with XBMC. and installed the live build without a hitch. I have all my files stored on a 1TB external Hard Drive, however I can't add it as a source in XBMC. I can't even see the drive. I can only find the Revos internal drive. is there any way I can get it to appear so I can add it as a source?

Have you tried looking for the drive by doing the following..

Click System, then Administration, then Disk Utility. if you can see your external drive here, then click on it, and you will see a description.. something something... mounted at : /Host (this part will be en blu), try clicking on the blue letters, and then see if you can get access to the drive. If you gain access,, then you should be able to see and add it in xbmc without any problems.
If he's using the Live version, it would be slightly different (and pretty tedious unfortunately but after it's done, it works like a charm). I had a similar problem and what I had to do was go into the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + F2)... Then, enter:

Code:
sudo blkid

That should generate a list so that you can see what the machine is calling your external drive (mine was sdb1). We'll assume yours is also sdb1 and that it's a NTFS drive and you want to have the files from the drive show up in a folder called myfiles. So, go ahead and enter:

Code:
mkdir myfiles
sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb1 myfiles

If you want to call the folder something different or if your external drive was located somewhere else or wasn't NTFS, you would obviously edit that to your liking. Now, what you'll need to do is enter:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Go to the end of that file and create a line that only says:

Code:
/dev/sdb1 /home/user/myfiles ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Change the user portion to whatever your XBMC username is and alter the other details to what we did above as well. At that point, you can press CTRL-X to save and exit. Now, to finish it up, you'll need to enter:

Code:
sudo mount -a

And, you should be good to go. You can check to make sure it works from the terminal by typing:

Code:
cd myfiles
dir

And, seeing if the files on your drive show up. Or you can go back into XBMC Live (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and check from there. If it's working, try restarting and making it sure it's still working on reboot. If so, you should be good to go from there.
I can't find the 'Administration' option. I only have the settings to adjust: video, Audio, Network, etc.
Thanks luger! I was looking for that just now. It works like a charm. But I've got another question: Since it's an external HD, it's automatically mounted in each of the different file sections (Music, Picures, Movies, etc). So, is there a way to clean this up and remove the HD from the listing?
thanks a lot!!!!! that worked!
Luger,

This is the best guide I've found for pointing me in the right direction, but it doesn't seem to fix my error.

Basically, I want to be able to plug my usb external drive into my revo and have it show up under XBMC Live in the /media folder like it used to.

I'm sorry if this is totally n00b of me, but do you know how to do this?
luger Wrote:Or you can go back into XBMC Live (Ctrl+Alt+F7) and check from there.

Man how did I miss that before, that would have been sooo nice to have. I've been rebooting to get back into Live from terminal for weeks. Haha.
Luger, thanks much for this. I was having a problem after a reboot where the mountpoint would exist, but the directory seemed empty. I used the Mount command to fix all of it. Cheers Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problem with External HDD1