Still getting stuttering after following advice
Hi - wondered if any of the dev guys could have a look at this. I've been struggling to get blu-ray files H.264 (in mkv container) playing stutter free.

(Blu-rays on a blu-ray player play perfectly on my LCD TV)

XBMC Live (Freak v13) [current xbmc version r26018]
Nvidia drivers 195.36.24

FoxConn Netbox nT330i with 4GB RAM (512MB GPU) (Nvidia ION / Intel Atom)

Stuttering is particularly bad on vertical panning - I've followed the guides on this forum which have helped reduce it a little.

Pasted my debug log and xorg.conf - there are a bunch of errors in the debug log which don't mean much to me.

http://pastebin.com/L7fmpWxM - Xorg.conf

http://pastebin.com/i57ZLCnG - xbmc.log

Thanks.
... I should add that it was JumJums 'how to get perfect playback... on Nvidia' that I tried (having previously tried a number of things including modelines)...Confused
I finally quit trying to run XBMC on my Asrock, both the Live and Windows version. The Live version (from USB stick only) (also de XBMC freak v13 and v14 version) did not work regarding hdmi audio (really tried many options). The video apparently looked stable, also more obscure HD files. The Windows version (also with XVDA support) actually was ok, especially when using the official last version in combination with Meidaplayer Classic Homecinema version (and coreavc codec), but I still found a a very little bit less stable with more obscure videos. Somewhat less smoothly. Hence, I thus play movies now without beautiful XBMC interface, but with Mediaplayer Classic Homecinema with coreavc 2.0 support. In my opinion, this delivers the smoothest picture. I have windows 7 64 bit installed and foremost use this guide: http://imouto.my/watching-h264-videos-us...ture-cuda/. I miss the beautiful interface of XBMC, but I am tired tweaking..... but still happy with my solution now.
I'll caveat this by saying I am not the foremost expert on this, but I'll certainly attempt to help.

What I see is that your xorg.conf file only shows 720p modelines, though your XBMC log shows it using a 1080p display resolution. Are you sure you have the right modelines for your display? From reading your logs, it does not appear so.

Secondly:

Quote: Modes "1280x720" "1280x720_60" "1280x720_60_0"

I believe JumJum's thread says you can only have one working 720p modeline, and you have 3. I'd suggest you remove the first two and leave only the last, since that will get you true 59.94 Hz.

Secondly, you need to add the comparable mode for 1080p playback. Right now you have these commented out with the "#" in front of your 1080p modes. This is what you have now.

Quote:# Modes "1920x1080" "1920x1080_60"

Remove the "1920x1080" and add the other to your updated modeline with your 720p mode.

Once you've done all this, restart and confirm in the settings portion of XBMC that you can select from these resolutions in the video settings area.

Then try again and see if your problems improve. If not, post back updated logs at that time.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
------------------------------------------
I had the same problem, after creating the xorg.conf with the correct modes.
Stutter was not impacting video quality, but was visible in slow scenes.
Now, I compiled rev 29739 today, and the stutter is gone.
There must have been some improvements in this since the last PPA I have used.

Sou you can either try it yourself with a SVN version, or wait until the next 10.05 is ready.
Thanks guys - I've upgraded to the latest stable release r28256 (I couldn't get the latest svn - Linux newbie and failed!)

Latest Nvidia driver 195.36.24

Also set resolution to 1280x720 (as the screen is only HD Ready 720p [although does accept 1080p it downscales]) - stutter was much less noticeable at 720p rather than 1080p. I'm in the UK so TV defaults to 50Hz, (accepts 60Hz also but can't seem to get the screen to use thisHuh).

Switched off "Sync playback to display" as this also seemed to help a little (as per JumJums guide). Drops a couple of frames when starting video then dropping seems to stop.

Stutter still a problem, but improved with the changes.

New log file:
http://pastebin.com/prR3kcQn

Latest xorg.conf
http://pastebin.com/29WqbA5i

Any advice appreciated, thanks.
derchris Wrote:I had the same problem, after creating the xorg.conf with the correct modes.
Stutter was not impacting video quality, but was visible in slow scenes.
Now, I compiled rev 29739 today, and the stutter is gone.
There must have been some improvements in this since the last PPA I have used.

Sou you can either try it yourself with a SVN version, or wait until the next 10.05 is ready.

How do I get to rev 29739 - I've tried following the various guides on the forum (I'm a Linux newbie so could well be user error!) - thanks
I also am not an expert, but noticed that in your xorg.conf the screen is called DFP-1, I have found that my panasonic is named DFP-0 when I look in the NVIDIA x server settings tool. Don't know if this will make a difference.
Since you are running 60hz you will never get true fluent motion due to
2:3 pulldown on 23,976/24fps movies, especially in panning scenes this will be notisable.

if this is what you are seeing, the only cure is to buy a new television that
fully support 24hz, its nice with the 120hz modes to where they create fake frames to make the motion smoother also.
TSlackM Wrote:Since you are running 60hz you will never get true fluent motion due to
2:3 pulldown on 23,976/24fps movies, especially in panning scenes this will be notisable.

if this is what you are seeing, the only cure is to buy a new television that
fully support 24hz, its nice with the 120hz modes to where they create fake frames to make the motion smoother also.

Thanks for your advice. I can get 1920 to run at 24Hz (apparently my TV can run at 100Hz or 120Hz). I'll post the 1920 logs, (but it looks worse than 720). Would a blu-ray player also have the same problems with pull-down, as blu-ray via a player is smooth? - Thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Still getting stuttering after following advice0