XBMC settings were reset - by itself
I have XBMC (latest release) on ASRock 330, installed on HD, partitioned to Linux / Windows7 (dual boot).
Yesterday strange thing happened - XBMC worked perfectly. I rebooted PC and entered Windows (first time in several months). Then, after updating and virus scanning etc I booted again to XBMC - and - nothing works ...
Fonts and charset were reset to defaults, all skin options as well,playback, power saving options, weather settings,even network group name - were reset to defaults. Libraries persisted (including watch status).

Moreover, no sound could be heard at all - all volumes in alsamixer were down to min, and hdmi/spdif/pcm lines were muted.
After reconfiguring everything back I now have working XBMC again.
But for god's sake - can someone explain me what happened Huh? Shocked
should have launch it in portable mode then in user mode, so settings are not the same.
ppic Wrote:should have launch it in portable mode then in user mode, so settings are not the same.
What is portable mode vs user mode ?
Both times XBMC was booted through grub as usual.
Why booting to Windows changes something at all in XBMC (if it indeed happened) ? XBMC is installed on Linux partition which Windows can't read.
Huh

you are booting xbmc in windows and have installed it on linux ?!?

it's a bit messy, please post your detailled problem, have you a problem on linux or on windows?
ppic Wrote:Huh

you are booting xbmc in windows and have installed it on linux ?!?

it's a bit messy, please post your detailled problem, have you a problem on linux or on windows?

Nope.No I have dual boot PC (ASRock). XBMC is installed on Linux Live (on HDD).
So for several months I used it and everything was perfect (at least as close to perfect as XBMC goes ...). Then I booted PC to Windows and did something not related to XBMC at all - synchronized PC clock, updated and executed antivirus - on Windows files. Then I booted PC again, this time - back to good old XBMC - but it wasn't good anymore.
XBMC has nothing to do with Windows, it is not installed on Windows partition, it is not accessible from Windows, its installation directory is not shared etc
really strange, haven't changed user ? update linux system ? nothing on linux ?
ppic Wrote:really strange, haven't changed user ? update linux system ? nothing on linux ?
Nothing, and all problems were fixed by manually configuring XBMC again + upping volume in alsamixer. I thought I am crazy.
Where XBMC keeps its settings - in ~/.xbmc as xml files, right ?
It is not like all .xbmc got corrupted - all movies/music libraries stayed intact.
Looks like XBMC program itself, when started, somehow flushed its non-initialized data back to disk.
May be Windows changed PC clock in a way it made XBMC to go upside down?
dumalkin Wrote:Nothing, and all problems were fixed by manually configuring XBMC again + upping volume in alsamixer. I thought I am crazy.
Where XBMC keeps its settings - in ~/.xbmc as xml files, right ?
It is not like all .xbmc got corrupted - all movies/music libraries stayed intact.
Looks like XBMC program itself, when started, somehow flushed its non-initialized data back to disk.
May be Windows changed PC clock in a way it made XBMC to go upside down?

Same thing happened to me, after a "dirty" shutdown of the machine. The file in question was probably in use when your machine was forced to shutdown, and XBMC created a fresh one when launched again.
Try rebooting and see if the settings change.

Then try rebooting into Windoze, then reboot back to Linux and see if the settings change.

Then do the same with a AV scan.
TugboatBill Wrote:Try rebooting and see if the settings change.

Then try rebooting into Windoze, then reboot back to Linux and see if the settings change.

Then do the same with a AV scan.
Just reboot keeps the settings, I rebooted XBMC many times in the past months.
About other tries - I do enough debugging at work, and planned to use XBMC, not to QA it Smile Will do on the weekend.
Problem - I can't know for sure what else Windows did to the PC. May be it installed some kind of firmware, updated BIOS/driver of something/whatever ...
If problem can't be reproduced it doesn't mean it can be ignored Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings were reset - by itself0