Network Share Issue
Hey all,

strange one... I have just finished a fresh rebuild of my system.

All My media is stored on a single NAS drive .. in a very simple format

root\1. TV
root\2. Movies
root\3. Music

After XBMC starts I cannot access any of my TV shows (get the no longer available would you like to remove from library message)

.. if i browse to and play a movie afterwards and then go back to the TV shows .. they will work fine.

Also if i initiate a library refresh the TV shows will work (which is strange as my system is set to refresh library upon start up)

I have isolated this issue only to my TV shows because if i try play a movie first it will play fine .. if i try play a tv show first I get the error as above

Debug: http://pastebin.com/qTgGS2w8

Thanks in advance .. its a strange one
Might your drives be spun down, causing the first hit to the server to fail? Please turn off Update Library on Startup. Now, wait long for the disks to spin down again and restart Xbmc. Can you browse there from Files view? Can you browse Movies from files view and then switch back to Movies?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
kragh3d, thanks for reply...

that was the first thing i thought as well - so i tried the following scenarios

Stopped update library on start up .. then:

1. Tried playing TV Show FIRST from library - same error , then to movies to play from library - worked, then back to TV Show - worked

RESTARTED SYSTEM

2. Tried playing Movie FIRST from library - worked, then to TV Show from library - worked

RESTARTED SYSTEM

3. Tried playing TV Show from file view FIRST - worked, tried playing Movie from File view worked

RESTARTED SYSTEM

4. Tried playing movie from file view FIRST - worked, tried playing tv show from file view - Worked

RESTARTED SYSTEM

5. Tried playing TV show form library FIRST, DID NOT WORK

.. problem is only with TV Shows in library when its the first thing i try play
on inspection of the logs the following keeps getting returned;

09:03:24 T:1032 M:475496448 DEBUG: Hash[tvshows,smb://THECUS/_Media/1. TV/Californication/]Big GrinB=[],Computed=[]
09:03:24 T:1032 M:475488256 DEBUG: Trying to connect to \\THECUS\_Media with username(xbmc) and password(xbmc)
09:03:24 T:1032 M:475480064 ERROR: Couldn't connect to \\THECUS\_Media, error code 1203
09:03:24 T:1032 M:475480064 ERROR: DIRECTORY::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting smb://THECUS/_Media/1. TV/Californication/

can anyone shed some light?
1203 is "no machine responded to the name or IP address that you requested". It appears that XBMC can't connect to any of your shares during the initial scan in your log.

No idea why it then works from files view or from library view for movies.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I removed my tv show library altogether ..

then mapped my nas to drive s: in windows

added that to my sources in XBMC .. and now it works fine

Why would that happen only with tv shows via smb .. bug perhaps?
Strange. The only other time I've seen something like this is when the server is waking up the drives so the initial requests take too long to respond and Xbmc errors out, but then it fixes itself shortly thereafter.
Hi All,

I've also had this problem with my remote shared drives, usually it is due to windows not re-mapping the drive on system start up as kraq3hd said, due to your remote shares waking up from a power save sleep of somekind. If you look in windows explorer, if your network shares have a little red mark against them, the drive has not been reconnected, however you can reconnect by browsing within the drive, this causes the network drive to be remapped automatically, hence you can use your drive through xbmc again.

I solved this on my system by writing a batch file to re-connect my shared drives and set it to run 30 seconds after the system start up.

hope this helps

Chris
Thanks Chris,

unfortunately this has nothing to do with mapped network drives .. the original problem occured when a source was specified in XBMC using the windows network share(smb)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network Share Issue0