Really Unsure What To Look At - Help a Noob
kopkiwi Wrote:Right. Bit the bullet and got the Acer Revo 3610, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD etc. Plus wireless keyboard and mouse.

Good Deal!

Quote:It only comes with a 30 day trial version of Windows 7, but that isn't an issue is it?

Heck no! Linux all the way!

Here is a good guide:

http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!251...!804.entry
poofyhairguy Wrote:Good Deal!

Heck no! Linux all the way!

Here is a good guide:

http://a8t8.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!251...!804.entry

That guide is for the ASrock :confused2:
Can anyone confirm for me please that the link for installing XBMC above also works with the Acer revo 3610?
poofyhairguy Wrote:The price should at most $300 American, but you can get it for less. As far as where to buy it, I personally just always buy my tech off ebay.

I don't have one, but I do have a Zotac ion mobo that is basically the same thing where it counts, and it plays EVERYTHING. I have a very mean (as in HD files with high bit-rates) collection and it plays everything I throw at it.

After some work with XBMC Live it is easy the coolest frontend I could imagine. I have 7 channel PCM HD audio working, really good VDPAU support to cut through 1080p files, the dual core Atom plays all my divx and SD files (like DVD isos) fine, and the interface feels snappy enough.

I really thought at first I would want more power, but honestly I am impressed, Well worth it...

Poofy, I tried to install XBMC live on my MAG just for fun because you can't get multichannel audio through HDMI with Windows 7 is XBMC live, did you happen to make a live disk with all the tweaks for LIVE? or keep track of what tweaks you had to make if so what? here.
kopkiwi Wrote:Can anyone confirm for me please that the link for installing XBMC above also works with the Acer revo 3610?

All ION based systems are essentially the same, sorry for not telling you that.
Thurbs Wrote:Poofy, I tried to install XBMC live on my MAG just for fun because you can't get multichannel audio through HDMI with Windows 7 is XBMC live, did you happen to make a live disk with all the tweaks for LIVE? or keep track of what tweaks you had to make if so what? here.

LOL, no I didn't make a new Live disk- I am not a developer. Just a regular person. But I can give some idea of what I did.

The bad news?

I am pretty good with Linux (used it since 2004, was a mod for the Ubuntu forums for a while, etc.) and getting my ION box to do this trick with audio was easily the hardest thing I have done with computers in a long time (and I hackintosh daily).

Basically the problem is that any Linux Nvidia driver that is not 185 EXACTLY does not have support (aka in newer drivers the support is broken). So that means you have to use Ubuntu 9.10 as the base.

But in order for the multichannel PCM to work in 9.10 a newer version of ALSA is required than the distro ships with. So you must compile a newer ALSA and update all the proper files, then you will get this working. No fun at all...

You can't start with XBMC 9.11 Live- it by defaults comes with a newer Nvidia driver than 185. So you have to roll your own Linux setup from scratch using the Ubuntu minimal install.

Below is the guide I used, and on the thread I added the extra notes about what worked for me. But know one thing- the guide is NOT idiot proof. It really kind of used my Linux knowledge because the guide writer assumes you know a decent bit about Linux. But considering the fact that there is no alternative currently, well I think you get the idea:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=71609

Good luck!
The Zotac mag is an awesome little unit.

I would use a minimal install of ubuntu 9.10 and use the xci installer script.

In less than 30 minutes you will have an awesome setup. Just add media Smile

Just follow this -> http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69753
OK, so I just finally got XBMC installed on the HDD of an Acer Revo 3610.

A few things.

1) How the heck do I copy across TV Shows and what not from my external HDD onto the Acer Revo itself

2) How do I change the skins?

UPDATE: OK, I copied across, or at least I thought I had, my music from the external HDD, however when I selected a track to play it would say unable to play. I then plugged in the external HDD again and it played fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Really Unsure What To Look At - Help a Noob0