Help with network shares!
Hey all:

I am new XBMC and I have installed Live on a Acer Aspire Revo 3610 with 4GB of RAM. I have a Windows laptop that i want to be able to move files to and from the Revo, which also has a 1TB external on it.

Here is a picture of my setup. No very artistic but I just want to give you an idea of what I am doing:

I am by no stretch of the imagination good with linux. I did this because I hear that the Revo won't be able to handle Windows 7 and XBMC. So I tried the Linux way and I am sure once I get it set up I will love it more and more. It is just getting it set up that way that I am having trouble with.

So what I want to do is be able to go on my laptop (windows 7) and looks at the files on the Revo (for transferring skins and editing XMLs and whatnot) and also I want to view the files on the 1TB external (for putting video files on and music and whatnot). I was hoping to use the windows explorer windows to view these files and whatnot. I don't know much about setting up samba or nfs or whatever. I know this is a pretty tall order but can anyone help? I usually use TVRename and Ember Media Manager for managing files on the external too.

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide. I think would also be great for other new users of XBMC Live.
No clue on xbmc live for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't contain a samba server. To get it running you'd need to ssh into the box, use apt to install samba (assuming it has apt... I believe it does), edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, and restart samba.

XBMC Live is ubuntu based... if you google around for installing samba on it you'd probably be able to find some good tutorials.
So could I possibly set up a NFS file share. which is easier to do or better for file transfers? Thanks!
Well from a windows box if you expect to use the file explorer you'd want Samba.

You can already (using scp aka sftp) send and receive files from xbmc live using something like filezilla or any other scp client for Windows. You wouldn't need to do anything but get ssh access. It uses the same protocol and login as ssh. You just won't get explorer access built in.

There are some ssh/scp/sftp mount utilities for Windows like http://www.expandrive.com/windows/ it's not free though.
Alright...Thanks for the replies.

U have a samba share set up and I can connect to it on my girlfriends computer (Windows 7 64bit Home Premium) but I cannot connect to it from my laptop (Windows 7 32bit Ultimate).

I really have no idea how to connect to it.
cdanderson04 Wrote:Alright...Thanks for the replies.

U have a samba share set up and I can connect to it on my girlfriends computer (Windows 7 64bit Home Premium) but I cannot connect to it from my laptop (Windows 7 32bit Ultimate).

I really have no idea how to connect to it.

Not sure what the problem. i have the exact set up and i am able to view video/audio content on my laptop drive as well external drive over a smb share. all i had to was follow "Videos=>Add Source=>SMB=>Browse and select the PC and then selected shared folder". i view my 1080P videos without any performance issues in this set up. is your problem sharing a drive in Windows 7? Are you able to connect to that shared drive from any other pc on your network?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with network shares!0