• 10(current)
[LIVE] Complete EMUs/ROMs in Live (Acer Revo)
Hey guys,

I've skimmed over this thread and tried some of the settings in the initial post, but it doesn't seem like a lot of the steps are relevant in Dharma.

1) Has launcher been replaced with Executor? I've installed Launcher but I have no idea how to access it in Dharma as it's a plugin (not an addon).

2) Given that Launcher has indeed been replaced by Executor, how do I get it to read from a launchers.xml file? Has this been replaced with the programs.cfg file?

3) Does anyone know of a thread that contains relevant instructions for Dharma?
Launcher was just added as an addon for Dharma, try installing it now. I'm not sure beyond that yet. It should be in the official repo.
OK, it is in there. This must have just happened today. I feel like I even checked earlier today, but I could be wrong. Thanks Duffman
I have a few questions:

1) I use an Xbox360 controller as my primary XBMC remote. I was able to program the controller for Zsnes, but I can tell that it is also navigating through XBMC in the background. How do I disable the controller in XBMC while using it in Zsnes, or any other emulator for that matter?

2) I can't get my sound to work on my Acer Revo going from HDMI to the TV. I've tried various suggestions (-ad alsa, -ad sdl, -r 6, etc), but nothing's working on that front. Any suggestions?

3) When I first enter Zsnes, I get a blank screen. I must then type \ on my keyboard to get to the game. What do I need to do to resolve this?

4) When I first tried to run Zsnes, it asked me if I'd like to import the roms. Choosing Yes would cause it to sit there and say "Please Wait" indefinitely. I know that at this point, there was no /.zsnes/ directory. At some point - I have no idea what I did - Zsnes did import the game and I could then play it. I also noticed that a /.zsnes/ directory was created. I'm now having the same problem with mupen64plus, and have no idea how to proceed.

EDIT: When I pressed "C" on the launcher name and pressed "Search". It asked me for arguments, which I bs'd through as I was pretty sure I'd already defined these in the launchers.xml file. Anyway, something about that process made it work. Since I'm going to be making a full tutorial of this process, I'd like to know what caused this and what I should do about it in the future (hopefully something that seems more legitimate).

5) EDIT: Figured this one out. Disregard
fcorbier Wrote:Thanks for the tutorial. Here is a modification I did to the launcher.sh way.

It stops XBMC and resumes it when the emulator has quit. Since I run it on a not-so-fast Atom CPU, it needs all the cycles it can get, especially when running GBA roms Smile

My /home/htpc/launcher.sh contains:
Code:
/usr/bin/killall -STOP xbmc.bin
"$@"
/usr/bin/killall -CONT xbmc.bin

And my laucher.xml has:
Code:
<launcher>
                <name>GBA</name>
                <application>/home/htpc/launcher.sh</application>
                <args>/usr/games/mednafen -gba.xres 1024 -gba.yres 768 -fs 1 -sounddriver sdl</args>
</launcher>

I'd love to go down this route, but I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm running Dharma beta 2 and the launcher plugin that just got added to the repo today, and I have no idea where launcher.sh is (do I need to make one?). If I need to make one, there's a whole lot of info left out and I need some hand-holding. For instance, where is the reference to the emulator program (zsnes, for example) in the launcher.sh file?
Flomaster Wrote:thanks, I had installed a while ago via post #76 and never used Gens and forget I had installed it.

my problem now is mupen64plus... I used the apt-get install method and it installed, but when launching a game it asks me about a controller. I don't have one yet. Is a controller a MUST have to use mpuen64plus?

-=Jason=-

Sorry, I don't know how to help with this one... I'm pretty sure when I first installed and tested mupen64plus I didn't have a controller connected and I don't recall it asking me about one.
alexpigment Wrote:I'd love to go down this route, but I'm not really sure how to do this. I'm running Dharma beta 2 and the launcher plugin that just got added to the repo today, and I have no idea where launcher.sh is (do I need to make one?). If I need to make one, there's a whole lot of info left out and I need some hand-holding. For instance, where is the reference to the emulator program (zsnes, for example) in the launcher.sh file?

looks like he's included it in the <args> section, rather than as the program

<args>/usr/games/mednafen -r etc....
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

smithr99 Wrote:looks like he's included it in the <args> section, rather than as the program

<args>/usr/games/mednafen -r etc....

Ah, I see that now; I was looking in the wrong place. So the launcher.sh file contains only 3 lines? For what it's worth, I've tried this on my end and all my emulators are now failing to work - when I choose the ROM, XBMC goes windowed and I have an otherwise black screen with the "x" mouse thing in the center.
What cordless joypads is everyone using ? Just curious. Couldn't get either xbox 360 or PS3 pads to work on Zsnes.
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
danz0l Wrote:What cordless joypads is everyone using ? Just curious. Couldn't get either xbox 360 or PS3 pads to work on Zsnes.

see the thread here to get XBOX360 wireless controllers working
ASRock 330HT, XBMC Eden

danz0l Wrote:What cordless joypads is everyone using ? Just curious. Couldn't get either xbox 360 or PS3 pads to work on Zsnes.

Although I still have a long way to go before getting things working well, I was able to get xbox 360 controllers working in Zsnes (unfortunately, the controllers are still active in xbmc in the background, though).

Have you tried running zsnes without the -m (no gui) argument? If you do that, then you can press Esc while in the emulator, and it will bring up a menu. You can set up the input devices, then click "Set buttons", and it will allow you to go through the whole input setup process by clicking on the buttons as it prompts you for each one. Afterward, you can run it with the -m argument again.

Also, see the post smithr99 referenced and note that 6b has been recently changed. Previously, the controller assignments might get a little mixed up if you had multiple controllers, which directly affected zsnes.
First of all: as a XBMC newbie and huge fan of emulation of classic systems (I once converted a real tv arcade machine into a MAME/SNES/GENESIS/etc. emulator) I'm very thankful for this thread!

I just set up my Acer Revo 3610 with a XBMC live installation from xbmcfreak and hope to be able to integrate all the great emus that are already mentioned here as soon as possible. But there is still one thing left I'd like to ask. Has anyone here succeeded in integrating the great ScummVM into your XBMC environment? I'd really love to use it on my big screen and if someone here already has some results he could share this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Thank you for this tread. However,,I am a linux ubuntu xmbc live noob, so I simply cannot get it to work.

My focus is the NES emulator. If I can get that to work, I am superhappy.

What i have: acer 1600 1gig ram , 160 gb drive nettop with xbmc live - working from a ubuntu minimal installation (followed the lifehacker set up silent media center article)

I downloaded this mednafen program. I downloaded a nes rom. I downloaded the launcher, and unzipped it into my programs folder, it seems to be working. The thumb is up, and yeah..looks good.

Now: what I did next (chaotic i know). I both unzipped the medafen program on my own pc, and transfered it to the nettop via filezilla, as well as transfer the zip file directly to the nettop. I finally made the "sudo apt-get update" command work through pressing ctrl alt f2 (is that correct btw?) It did the update.

Then i wrote "sudo apt-get install mednafen" this executed, and seemed to work.

Next, i tried to create the directory as stated: .xmbc/userdata/plugin_data/launcher/launchers.xml

The file contains this text only:
- <launcher>
<name>NES</name>
<application>/usr/games/mednafen</application>
<args>-nes.xres 960 -nes.yres 700 -fs 1 -sounddriver sdl</args>
<rompath>/home/xbmc/ROMS/NES/</rompath>
<romext>nes|zip|ZIP|NES|Nes|Zip</romext>
<thumb />
<wait>true</wait>
</launcher>

Now I pressed launcher.and selected add new launcher. Then i choose the 2nd option, the file launcher thingy (said emulators in paranthesis). I chose the launchers.xml as the exe file (is this correct??) then i chose the rom location, which i could not find under home/xbmc/roms/nes (would not show in my xbmc search,the folders that is) so i had some other folder where i put the roms. I pressed ok. Then i ran the launcher. Import files - yes i said. The rom appeared. However, when i press the rom. Nothing happens.

Can someone please tell me where i have gone wrong? I have tried to follow the guide,but i have no ubuntu/linux/xmbc live experience whatsover,so i probably did a noob mistake

any help is greatly appreciated

I use some wii remotes and launch cwiid wminput from the launcher.sh

wminput -d xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -c /home/xbmc/.cwiid/wminput/DEFAULT &
sleep 1
wminput -d xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -c /home/xbmc/.cwiid/wminput/DEFAULT &

then when the launcher closes i run killall wminput

The only problem with this is when I play with only one wii remote, and my ps3 bluetooth remote to control xbmc times out (to save batteries), the second daemon constantly polls for the second wii remote. And this problem occurs: http://abstrakraft.org/cwiid/ticket/71 . I tried to patch it but it still doesn't work. Oh well, I get my remote back by turning on the second wii remote and then exiting the emulator.

the wii remote classic controller is perfect!
Thanks guys, will look into some xbox 360 controllers Smile
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Complete EMUs/ROMs in Live (Acer Revo)2