Streaming from NAS to other computers?
Ok so I have XBMC Live running great pointed to my NAS with my blu-ray .m2ts files, now I was wondering if I could extend this to be able to stream the media to other computers?

I have two MacBook Pros and a Dell Latitude E6400 that would be happy if they could get the movies streamed to them. Music works fine already. Now I have a wireless N network and my NAS and XBMC are all connected via gigabit connections. I have tried experimenting with VLC with streaming the .m2ts files but they pause for a second about every 5-10 seconds which makes it unwatchable. Is there anything in setting or anything that could be done to be able to watch them without re-ripping to lower quality audio and video?

All information is appreciated.

Thanks.
So to the other machines you are attempting to stream full bluray rips over wireless?

Make the connections wired and you should have better results.
gabbott Wrote:So to the other machines you are attempting to stream full bluray rips over wireless?

Make the connections wired and you should have better results.

I knew this was going to be one of the things suggested and yes this would make it all play smoothly. Problem being there is my network equipment is on my first floor and the one laptop that would utilize this if it worked is on the third floor and the townhouse I rent is not wired for ethernet. I dont think what I want ideally is possible (I work in IT and familiar with the limitations) but thought I would check here first to see if I overlooked anything. The streaming is mainly for my girlfriend who has lower quality DVD rips so maybe I will just toss those on and see how they stream.
Hi BE4TNUT!

Why don't you use a CPL connexion? For example, I use a NETGEAR XEB1004 and it works fine!
For what it's worth, I can stream actual dvd iso's over a wireless 802.1g network without issue. Well, there is the occasional hiccup where the playback slows down but quickly catches up, but that's about it. And I can stream dvdrips (xvid and h264) without any problems, ever.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I you use wireless do what you can to keep the signal "clean" and as strong as possible. Place the WAP as close as you can to the notebook. Remove any sources of interference, ie wireless phones, microwave ovens, TVs, etc between or near the WAP and the notebook. The fewer items (desks, couches, walls, etc) between the WAP and the notebook the better.

Keep in mind that the antenna send/receives in a circular somewhat flat "beam", IE like a fat dinner plate. Smile Imagine a straight line between the WAP and the notebook. Orient the antenna so it's at a right angle to that line.

If everything is perfect it'll be almost as good as a wired connection. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming from NAS to other computers?0