Adding vlc as external player
Hi all,

some videos are playing choppy in my system through Kodi so i would like to add vlc player as an external player.

I have found a playercorefactory.xml file in the internet (https://www.freesoftwareservers.com/inde...r-vlc-x64/) which substitutes native kodi player with vlc ,tested it and works ok .

The problem is that i would like to have vlc as an option not as default player . I preffer the kodi player as it fits best with the kodi functions.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your time reading this.

Regards,
the_observer.
Remove the rules for file types from the .xml

The context menu will let you choose vlc as required
Thought I'd add my two cents here. Kodi uses the same code as VLC, the only difference is that Kodi defaults to hardware acceleration, while VLC uses software rendering as default. Changing the video settings in Kodi should give you the same results as using VLC.

For users that are not satisfied with Kodi's PQ or have other issues... I should note: DSPlayer (wiki) FTA: Kodi DSPlayer is a DirectShow-based media player for Kodi Entertainment Center. The player is designed to work with or replace the default Kodi media player, DVDPlayer, while offering full integration with the existing Kodi interface. This means all media databases and player controls will function in the same manner as a standard Kodi installation.

- Ability to enable DSPlayer as the default player via GUI (no more config tweaking).

- More reliable filter graph building for different filter/codecs combination.

- Ability to use default system filters ("Windows Media Player style") without creating XML configs (good option for beginners).

- Blu-ray title and MKV edition choice dialogs (only with AVSplitter, also developed by Eduard_K).

- Support for iMon VFD/LCD displays.
(2016-01-15, 11:26)the_observer Wrote: Hi all,

some videos are playing choppy in my system through Kodi so i would like to add vlc player as an external player.

I have found a playercorefactory.xml file in the internet (https://www.freesoftwareservers.com/inde...r-vlc-x64/) which substitutes native kodi player with vlc ,tested it and works ok .

The problem is that i would like to have vlc as an option not as default player . I preffer the kodi player as it fits best with the kodi functions.

Is this possible?

Thank you for your time reading this.

Regards,
the_observer.

You will notice with my PlayerCoreFactory that MPC is an option, but not the default, you would just leave the VLC/MPC options and remove the Rules portion of PlayercoreFactroy, this way you can right click and select play with >> VLC/MPC but default would be Kodi
Thank you all for your answers.

Most enlightening.
Hi all,

i'm trying to enable external players exactly the same way but when i choose any player other than the default one (i have installed mxplayer free and vlc), nothing happens.

I got the external player to work by creating a playercorefactory.xml but this is way too complicated for me and id rather have a simpler way to choose.

Can anyone give me any clue ?

Thanx.

im running 16.1 on a nvidia shield if it can help.
(2016-01-16, 17:31)PatK Wrote: Thought I'd add my two cents here. Kodi uses the same code as VLC, the only difference is that Kodi defaults to hardware acceleration, while VLC uses software rendering as default. Changing the video settings in Kodi should give you the same results as using VLC.
It does not give the same result!
Probably Kodi took the same code base (which is a good idea) and added some bugs (which not such a good idea!)
The problem is that the standard player freezes randomly, but quite often, that is on Ubuntu 16.04. It is apparently a known issue due to the fact that Kodi assumes it is ran "alone" and that you PC is to have only 1 role: mediaplayer. This is probably the use case of many people, but not mine. I have no intention to dedicate my PC to being only a mediaplayer, and prefer to continue to multitask on the machine, even when I watch movies (I know how to pause a movie!)
With that assumption, Kodi's player does not behave as a good citizen with Unity/Compiz, whereas I never had any issue with VLC that works like a charm including with Compiz/Unity.
(2016-01-16, 17:31)PatK Wrote: For users that are not satisfied with Kodi's PQ or have other issues... I should note: DSPlayer (wiki) FTA: Kodi DSPlayer is a DirectShow-based media player for Kodi Entertainment Center. The player is designed to work with or replace the default Kodi media player, DVDPlayer, while offering full integration with the existing Kodi interface. This means all media databases and player controls will function in the same manner as a standard Kodi installation.
So that suggestion is for Windows user I assume, then not for my case!

Thanks for the useful post, and especially for the Wiki page : External_players (wiki)

All works well using VLC now!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding vlc as external player0