• 2(current)
Apple TV Performance with CrystalHD
grey Wrote:who's on linux please reply:

there are NO shutters AT ALL? not in the start, middle or "in 20 minutes or so"? it would be a crucial reason.

and two: can i set 720p (that's my TV max resolution) having running linux on atv?

right now even linux has some shutters. at least from my experience. i am using a svn built (about 2 or 3 weeks old) right now.

-andy
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
shutters go on windows Smile stutter or frame drops is a much better word.
davilla Wrote:shutters go on windows Smile stutter or frame drops is a much better word.

i am sorry boss Smile

there seems to be alot of frame drops on "fast" scenes. e.g. transformers II is really bad "lagging" ( Tongue ) other movies are not. time will come where all movies play nice Smile

hope so davilla? Smile

Will the performance ever be better? Like play 1080p flawless on atv? I also have the atv with crystal chip, but not impressed with the performance and consider to go the linux route. But no need if it can´t playback allright anyway... I also experience bad performance on 720p, will that be flawless on linux?
eiki Wrote:Will the performance ever be better? Like play 1080p flawless on atv? I also have the atv with crystal chip, but not impressed with the performance and consider to go the linux route. But no need if it can´t playback allright anyway... I also experience bad performance on 720p, will that be flawless on linux?

flawless is in the eye of the beholder Smile If you want flawless, get a 3Ghz+ CoreQuad box and do software decoding with ffmpeg.

If you want flawless on the AppleTV, go atv(linux) and patches are welcome to fix the various nagging issues.
my two cents as new ATV use.

just finished setting up dual boot. I have to say that under Linux overall response is better, loading times are quicker, less dropped frames etc, etc. I just left aTV os on it because my gf likes the frontrow with the podcasts and all that crap/

I wasn't ever expecting flawless performance from 150euro box, but I've got more than I was expecting.

(Now have to find out how to use it with my MCE remote Wink)
To all who have been contributing and following this thread I am now 100% ATV on Linux believer!

It did take me a few hours to follow the instructions and repartition and get the Linux kernel loaded on the apple tv, but so far in my hour of testing I would recommend it highly and never run OSX on iTV again. (Unless there is some major improvements in the future…. Never know)

Before the entire UI was 500-750ms behind the IR remote and when I tried playing any 720\1080 content with or without the crystal chip enabled the result was not watchable.

Now the UI is snappy again (like Xbox) and when you press play it does stutter for a few seconds, then it’s smoothes out. Every few minutes there is a bit of a stutter (like 100ms drop) , but I’m assuming that will only get better as the code and threading matures. (Keep in mind the documented process currently loads the older frozen March SVN build). The difference for the same exact hardware under two different OS's is quantum.

I wish the process could be easier if somehow automated, but looking at the steps, they are all necessary and not exactly for the armature. But, let’s be real – the first time I hacked a keyboard and thumb drive into the xbox’s USB port with a game disk and a modboot; It was bit like today – I’m sure by my 3rd iTV I be doing it with a cocktail in my hand.

I now see this as a potential “Cost effective” replacement for the Xbox moving forward, we can hope for more platforms, but right now XBOX is great but limited and dying, aTV (OSX) is same as XBOX for normal def, aTV(Linux) with Crystal is full HD replacement (with a few rough edges to iron out) and of course the Mac \Windows\Linux - full i386 multi cored replacement which might not be cost effective in every room, but is truly amazing.

My last two hurdles are getting the unit to boot without having to keep the USB stick inserted (documented but vague) and getting the audio from the skin to play for button clicks (HDMI\Analog alsa mixer stuff) . I'm bit worried about mp3’s, but haven’t tried them yet, I have two Xbox’s dedicated to audio so I’m not concerned. Smile

Thanks again for everybody suggestions and comments, Feel free to comment or ask questions regarding the process or experience.

Regards,
Mike Pisano
Mike Pisano Wrote:My last two hurdles are getting the unit to boot without having to keep the USB stick inserted (documented but vague) and getting the audio from the skin to play for button clicks (HDMI\Analog alsa mixer stuff).

I'm with you 100% on that, it seems the section of the Linux on ATV guide regarding booting linux without the USB stick is antiquated and no longer valid on ATV running OS 3.x

The guide points to this link on getting "dual booting" to work http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...x-bootmenu

Quote:Now open the ‘Software Menu’ in AppleTV, navigate to Scripts and launch bootLinux.sh. The AppleTV should reboot into Linux now.

My question now is how do we plug the execution of the script mentioned in the article (which also needs work) into XBMC/Boxee Launcher?
Thanks for great feeback! I´ll put Linux on it and try it out. Does Popcorn Hour, WD TV Live or other mediaplayers have better playback on 1080p content than ATV with Linux? Other mediaplayers are not an options since I have to run XBMC on it, but I might go with an Atom ION solution if the ATV Linux with Crystal does not playback allright.
@davilla, do you use linux on atv or you're on native atv OS?
just out of curiosity. thanks.
davilla Wrote:What user did you create when you installed linux ? Use that username in the ssh

ssh <some username>@<some appletv IP>

did it... and after 1 minute terminal say:
ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.2 port 22: Operation timed out

what is making me crazy is that if i remove the stick,the ATV switch to frontrow,and i am unable to get connection in the usual ways:
ssh frontrow@appletv ip...FUGU...connection to server smb://appletv ip
always the same result:connection refused
The IP is correct,checked in the setting Confused
Angrenost Wrote:did it... and after 1 minute terminal say:
ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.2 port 22: Operation timed out

what is making me crazy is that if i remove the stick,the ATV switch to frontrow,and i am unable to get connection in the usual ways:
ssh frontrow@appletv ip...FUGU...connection to server smb://appletv ip
always the same result:connection refused
The IP is correct,checked in the setting Confused

Linux will need a wired connection until you manually setup wifi. You need to say more about your network setup.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV Performance with CrystalHD0