Adding new button on home screen to Home Movies, etc..
Question 
I have three folders where I store video files and I have added the three sources to XBMC:

Series (TV Series) //NAS/Series
Movies //NAS/Movies
Home Movies //NAS/Home Movies

and I can access the via any skin without issue.

However, I am attempting to add new buttons on the home screen that will take the user directly to the collection contained in each folder.

I have looked over multiple sub-forums attempted to cobble together the appropriate code but failed. Here is what I tried:

<!-- Modifications made for personal video collection -->
<item id="13">
<label>My Movies</label>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Movies,return)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/movies.jpg</icon>
</item>

<item id="14">
<label>TV Series</label>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,TV Series,return)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/movie4.jpg</icon>
</item>

<item id="15">
<label>Home Movies</label>
<onclick>XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,Home Movies,return)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/film_roll.jpg</icon>
</item>

<!-- End of modifications for personal video collection -->

So am appealing for help. Am what I am attempting to do possible? Did I complete screw up my attempt?

I need to make it as simple as possible for the users so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks........

Johnny
I'm also really curious on how to do this, and would love to find out. Sorry I can't help but I just wanted to express that there is more than one person with this question!
Also very interested here.

I've read several times that you can use Playlists and assign them to home screen buttons in some skins (Aeon f.e.) but I'm unable to achieve that. A tutorial would be really helpful!
you can't use MyVideoLibrary if you want to open a folder.
the video library is restricted to the three built-in catagories (movies, tv shows and music videos).
in other words, you have to use VideoFiles.

the 'return' parameter will only work in library mode, not in filemode,
so you might as well remove it.
also, drop the 'XBMC.' prefix, as it's not needed anymore (deprecated).

basically, the syntax is like this:
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,[i]SourceName[/i])</onclick>

where SourceName is the name you've given to the source.

in your case, if you have a source named: Series (TV Series)
this command should do the trick:
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Series (TV Series))</onclick>
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
For those who wants to have smartplaylist in homescreen submenu's movies, Tvshow and Music look into the Home.xml from MiniMeedia Waffa!.

Make also skinsettings to set playlist path or fill in the path in the onclick function in the Home.xml.

example :
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(25,C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\playlists\video\HD Movies.xsp,return)</onclick>
Thanks Ronie,

I will give that a try when I get back home and let everyone know how it goes........that pesky thing called work gets into the way of more pleasant pursuits......

One question though....what will be the effect of eliminating the 'return' parameter with the recommendations you have suggested?

Johnny

ronie Wrote:you can't use MyVideoLibrary if you want to open a folder.
the video library is restricted to the three built-in catagories (movies, tv shows and music videos).
in other words, you have to use VideoFiles.

the 'return' parameter will only work in library mode, not in filemode,
so you might as well remove it.
also, drop the 'XBMC.' prefix, as it's not needed anymore (deprecated).

basically, the syntax is like this:
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,[i]SourceName[/i])</onclick>

where SourceName is the name you've given to the source.

in your case, if you have a source named: Series (TV Series)
this command should do the trick:
Code:
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Series (TV Series))</onclick>
johnny_swindle Wrote:Thanks Ronie,

I will give that a try when I get back home and let everyone know how it goes........that pesky thing called work gets into the way of more pleasant pursuits......

One question though....what will be the effect of eliminating the 'return' parameter with the recommendations you have suggested?

Johnny

'return' can only be used in library mode, so it's useless to specify it in your case. with or without, it wouldn't make a difference, xbmc will simply ignore it if it's there.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
OK....here is what I have done. 95% works

<!-- Modifications to launch Beyond TV Link on a Vista system -->

<item id="12">
<label>WATCH TV</label>
<onclick>XBMC.System.Exec(C:\Progra~1\SnapSt~1\Beyond~1\BTVD3DShell.exe" /networkclient:true)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/tv.jpg</icon>
</item>

<!-- Modifications made for personal video collection -->
<item id="13">
<label>My Movies</label>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Movies)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/movies.jpg</icon>
</item>

<item id="14">
<label>TV Series</label>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Series)</onclick>
</item>

<item id="15">
<label>Home Movies</label>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Home Movies)</onclick>
<icon>special://skin/backgrounds/film_roll.jpg</icon>
</item>

<!-- End of modifications for personal video collection -->

What is strange is that item 14, TV Series take me to the screen showing all three sources. Is the word Series a reserved word causing XBMC to ignore the command?

Finally, how do you tell the system to ignore the ".." that takes you up one level.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. I have gotten more accomplished in the last 10 minutes that I have in the last 2 days.....

Johnny
johnny_swindle Wrote:What is strange is that item 14, TV Series take me to the screen showing all three sources. Is the word Series a reserved word causing XBMC to ignore the command?

it should work just fine.
double check if it matches the name you've given to this source in xbmc.

johnny_swindle Wrote:Finally, how do you tell the system to ignore the ".." that takes you up one level.
you can hide the '..' entry (System > Appearance > File lists > Hide parent folder item), but you can't ignore it.
that's what the 'return' parameter is used for, but it only works in library mode at the moment.
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7032
What I ended up doing was removing the source "Series", going to the NAS and renaming the folder to TV_Series and adding a new source of TV_Series to XBMC.

I modified the code to:

<item id="14">
<label>TV Series</label>
<onclick>ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,TV_Series)</onclick>
</item>

It works now. All I can think that there was some stray character was getting introduced into the naming (one that I could not see or eliminate) and removing the source, renaming and readding the new source solved the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adding new button on home screen to Home Movies, etc..0