[Music Player] 5.1 Channel Mapping Issues
I'm having issues with the channel mappings with various 5.1 formats. This is using today's SVN trunk. Configure options are default except for disabling the built-in web server.

Here are my findings:

Code:
Speaker|AAC|AC3|FLAC|Vorbis|WAV
-------+---+---+----+------+---
FL     |FR |FL |FL  |FL    |FL
FR     |SL |FR |FR  |FR    |FR
FC     |FR |FC |SL  |FC    |SL
SL     |SL |SL |FC  |SL    |FC
SR     |FC |XX*|LFE |SR    |LFE
LFE    |LFE|XX*|SR  |LFE   |SR

* Channel was all-together skipped; playback cut short.
As can be seen, Vorbis is the only codec above that maps correctly.

Is this worthy of a bug report?
do u have a custom asound.conf or asound.rc?
Yes, and MPlayer r30554 plays them all correctly on the same machine using the same "upmixer" device.

Code:
wswartzendruber@server ~/Music/surround_test $ cat /etc/asound.conf
pcm.bridge
{
        type hw
        card 0
        device 3
}

pcm.a52encoder
{
        type a52
        slavepcm "bridge"
        channels 6
        rate 48000
        bitrate 640
}

pcm.resampler
{
        type rate
        slave.pcm "a52encoder"
        slave.rate 48000
        converter "samplerate_best"
}

pcm.upmixer
{
        type upmix
        slave.pcm "resampler"
        channels 6
}

pcm.!default
{
        type plug
        slave.pcm "upmixer"
}
try this

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost...stcount=76

the asound contents...
1. I don't have a 7.1 speaker setup.
2. Static remapping at that level will not fix the inconsistencies within XBMC.
3. I currently reject the premise that the proper place to fix this is in ALSA.
Thumbs Up 
Is this going to be fixed soon? Dharma beta 2 has still this problem at least when listening to FLAC 5.1 audio tracks... My files are ripped from original DVDA-discs with DVD-Audio-Extractor to single WAV-files and then converted to FLACs with foobar. The channels are output exactly as the table in the opening post shows. Using HDMI-connection to LPCM-capable receiver...

EDIT: There´s hope after all: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=417...stcount=73
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
You must understand that Linux and Windows have different channel mapping standards. Flac follows the windows format.

Linux = Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs-C-LFE, Windows = Lf-Rf-C-LFE-Ls-Rs.

To map a 5.1 flac file correctly you must either tell ALSA to do so in the asound.conf or .asoundrc or re-map (swap) the channels when creating the flac.
Balthazaar Wrote:You must understand that Linux and Windows have different channel mapping standards. Flac follows the windows format.

Linux = Lf-Rf-Ls-Rs-C-LFE, Windows = Lf-Rf-C-LFE-Ls-Rs.

To map a 5.1 flac file correctly you must either tell ALSA to do so in the asound.conf or .asoundrc or re-map (swap) the channels when creating the flac.

I quess it´s not possible to remap just the playback of multichannel-flac-files with asound.conf? All my movies playback just fine with correct channel order. So just have to remap the flac-files... Thanks for info!
Actually, another way to do it would be to use XBMC's dvdplayer to play your mulitchannel flac's. IIRC, dvdplayer and paplayer will produce different channel mapping playback with the same 5.1 flacs. Doesn't affect 4ch flacs. You will still need to swap channels in asound.conf.

I do not know if it's possible to re-map per format in ALSA.
I'm using asound.conf to remap channels and multichannel flac audio files play through the correct channels using paplayer. When playing movies which have multichannel flac audio, the mapping is wrong with dvdplayer. I'd rather not use dvdplayer as my default music player.

Is there any way for both paplayer and dvdplayer to playback using the same channel mapping?
I just remapped my multichannel flac -files linux -style with Foobar (did ripping in Windows so the order was wrong). Everything OK now.
adelias Wrote:Is there any way for both paplayer and dvdplayer to playback using the same channel mapping?

I was never able to do it. I tried for weeks using different alsa configs and xbmc configs.

In the end I gave up and simply re-mapped all my multichannel flac files. Luckily, I only have about 400...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Music Player] 5.1 Channel Mapping Issues0