• 6(current)
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.25
funny situation - playing a movie in full screen - no audio whatsoever, but if I press escape twice and make the menu appear, then the movies list is in the foreground and the movie plays in the background, well at that point multichannel audio comes on! but then if I go back to the movie the amp goes to 2 channel pcm and no sound comes out.
Mythbuntu Maverick 64-bit Mythtv & XBMC E6300, GT430, Antec Minuet 350, 2GB DDR-800 Ram, Gigabyte G-31M-E2SL, Yamaha RXv-1800 over HDMI @ 1080p to Sony Bravia 55" LCD 100HZ, Focal-JM Labs 826/806 speakers & Velodyne CHT-12R sub... "mmm, nice."
Wingie Wrote:Thanks for the asound.conf and the HDA-intel.conf file.

I have some issue's /questions left:
1) If I disable dolby digital/DTS than i'm able to get multichannel sound but the voices come out of the wrong speaker (behind me in stead of the center speaker)

How can this be changed?

2) I renamed my .asoundrc file in /home/xbmc because this was only to get menu sound to work. I'm I right or do I have to enable it again?

3) All my 2-channel audio files (mp3/flv etc.) give no audio at all it doesn't matter if I turn of/on DTS/dolby digital. I know it can work (sampled up to 5.1 or just 2 channel) but don't know what to alter in de asound.conf or HDA-Intel.conf file.
Does any one know a solution for this?

running on ubuntu karmic 9.10 latest kernel and latest SVN (march 30), alsa 0.23, nvidia 256.35.

Regarding point 2)

No, do this step again in the guilde to restore it. The file is read on each boot of the system so its needed continously.

On the matter of incorrect channel mapping, those 2 pastebin fixes are there exactly to correct those issues. I can tell you that over HDMI following the guide you shouldn't be having those issues at all and you should still have menu navigation audio.

It sounds like you're running over SPDIF\Coax to me though because I have another setup where following the guide will give you no audio for MONO sources, and no menu navigation sounds.

I don't know how to fix the menu navigation but to fix the other audio issues could you try setting your audio to SPDIF\Coax, and 2.1 speaker output, dolby\dts enabled and the rest disabled in the system audio settings in xbmc.

Don't worry you will still get 5.1 audio for dts\dd5.1 and FLAC 5.1 etc even with the output set at 2.1.
robo989 Wrote:Regarding point 2)

No, do this step again in the guilde to restore it. The file is read on each boot of the system so its needed continously.

On the matter of incorrect channel mapping, those 2 pastebin fixes are there exactly to correct those issues. I can tell you that over HDMI following the guide you shouldn't be having those issues at all and you should still have menu navigation audio.

It sounds like you're running over SPDIF\Coax to me though because I have another setup where following the guide will give you no audio for MONO sources, and no menu navigation sounds.

I don't know how to fix the menu navigation but to fix the other audio issues could you try setting your audio to SPDIF\Coax, and 2.1 speaker output, dolby\dts enabled and the rest disabled in the system audio settings in xbmc.

Don't worry you will still get 5.1 audio for dts\dd5.1 and FLAC 5.1 etc even with the output set at 2.1.

Thank you for your answers.

I still have menusound working and I think this is now activated by the asound.conf in stead of the .asoundrc file. But tonight I will try what happends if I turn it on agian.

I will redownload the pastebin files because my speakersettings are wrong as soon as I turn off Dolby Digital receiver and DTS receiver in the settings menu. When they are enabled everything is correct.

My Asrock mediacenter is only connected via HDMI to my onkyo receiver so the spdif option won't work.

I already tried the 2.1 solution but this did'nt help for my mp3 of flv 2 channel 22khz. files.
Man I love having this thing. Just a couple of questions that I cant seem to figure out.

1. How do I install the Aeon skin now that Im using XBMC Live?
edit: Solved. This walkthrough worked great.
2. Anyone have problems getting XBMC to use an external drive as a media source?
Just chipping in my personal experiance, when i removed pulseaudio from my system i experianced a sudden onset of judder, so much so i reinstalled my Lucid system. default system again and i have no problems with judder (using the xorg script from the linux forum and nvidia 256.35 driver).

i have a Zotac ION board and right now, and i cant stop playing with the system!
I cant get DTS and AC3 passthrough to work, I can only run without them checked or else I get "Failed to initialize audio device, Check your audiosettings".
I have a HK AVR255 reciever and I get the PCM to work but not DTS and AC3.
Im using Nvidia 256.35 beta drivers at the moment but I cant get it to work with any drivers. Alsa is 1.0.22.
Any ideas?
works great with karmic & nvidia 256.35, thanks.
Works w/ the Zbox hd-id11 (this + http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=540...stcount=32), using nvidia 256.35. Great guide.

Well, except for that VDPAU bug (vdpau + mpeg4 = green meanies).
Updated main post:

If you have problems with juddering you can try disabling Dolby and DTS in audio settings and turn on sync playback to display(re sample audio) also you can try "adjust refresh rate to match video" in video settings. It was necessary to turn this "adjust refresh rate" off sometimes because with it some movie's stutter like a maniac. (1 out of 40)

A/V sync method [Audio Clock, Video Clock(resample audio) or Video Clock(Drop/Dupe Audio)]
Audio has to stay in sync, this can either be done by resampling, skipping/duplicating packets, or adjusting the clock if it gets out of sync too far. Resampling has the advantage that the speed of the video can be changed considerably, so 24 fps can be sped up to 25 fps to play at PAL speed. The disadvantage of resampling is that it doesn't work with passthrough, and there is a slight loss of audio quality. Skipping/duplicating audiopackets has no loss of audio quality, but the speed of the video can only be changed a little to avoid doing a skip/duplication too often, most of the time it's inaudible, but it can produce a very audible click. Adjusting the clock has the best audioquality, but some extra video jitter can occur, also the speed of the video can't change much, as the audio will sync the clock more often the more the speed of the video is changed.

Think I have watched like 20 Movie's and 40 serie part's with this configuration and must say I very pleased. In some movie's you sometimes will hear slight difference in audio speed especially with music but this is something I can live with. (If it bothers you to much pick a other A/V sync method)
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
Quote:@harryzimm

Thanks! I tried that guide and my install quit at:

Add the following lines at the end of the script. PAY ATTENTION : Add a empty line behind blacklist rivatv

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

I added the blank line before, then I tried after, then I tried blank lines between all of the entries but I still got the nvidia.ko kernel error. Do you know how the file is supposed to be edited?

What sucks, is that I had it all working (failed to make a backup) then thought I would "improve" it. 15 formats and installs later, I can't even get back to where I had it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Here is how i edit the file

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

scroll down to the bottom of the file to the end of the last line then hit enter twice to create a blank line. Paste

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

into the file and scroll to the end of blacklist rivatv then hit enter twice to create a blank line and save. After a reboot try the nvidia installer again.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
I did this install and worked brilliantly first time. The audio stuff was not relevant to me, but the remaining stuff worked a treat.
It probably would be better if this thread was re-names [how-to] XBMC Lucid Mini Install

Thanks and top job!.
Glad we could help. Have fun with your new Media player Big Grin

I renamed the name of the Topic but I guess it need's some time before it updates.
Media player: Xtreamer Ultra 2 XBMC v13 RC 1 Gotham, iPhone 4s & iPad mini Retina
LCD: Sony KDL-46HX920 - Receiver: Onkyo TX-R577 - Speakers: Mission e34 5.1 & MS10 - Remote: Harmony Smart Control
Router: Asus RT-N66U - NAS: Synology DS1512+ 15 TB - PC: Intel I7 @4.5 Ghz HD7950 3GB
I tried almost all in this thread but still can't have navigation sound. Movies,music sound working but no navigation sound. Could you help me?

Did you notice that xbmc-standalone can't shutdown computer? It gives me gdm login screen.
Quote:...
Now we going to download and install the Nvidia 265.25 drivers.

wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...5-pkg1.run

sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25-pkg1.run

This next step will make the Nvidia 256.25 driver installation work. (Fixes the nvidia.ko error that is caused by the improperly configured kernel source)

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Add the following lines at the end of the script. PAY ATTENTION : Add a empty line behind blacklist rivatv

blacklist vga16fb
blacklist nouveau
blacklist rivafb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist rivatv

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

sudo shutdown -r now

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25-pkg1.run

Greetings,
Roelio

Ok. So rather than use the 256.25 drivers, I was attempting to substitute the 256.35 which I DLed from nvidia US (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...256.35.run) I was hoping the error mentioned in the original instructions was fixed in this version and I wouldn't have to do the blacklist editing. However in skipping to running the actual file it just keeps saying command not found

xbmc@htpc:~$ ls
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run
xbmc@htpc:~$ sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run
sudo: ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run: command not found
xbmc@htpc:~$

I tried doing sudo /home/xbmc/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run also just for the hell of it, but didn't get anything. Am I missing something?
Try following the guide and do this after you completed it, worked for me.

wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...256.35.run

sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run

/etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop

sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35.run

sudo reboot
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] HOW-TO Install XBMC on Lucid Mini with PCM Multichannel and Nvidia 256.256