[Windows] How to extract video info over network
Information 
*This should probably be moved to the how to section*

Recently I noticed that on my local setup XBMC would automatically extract video information such as a preview image and details about the file including resolution, audio, and aspect ratio. After looking all over of how to get my remote files to work like local copies I found a way and wanted to publish this guide to help others who run into this same problem.

1. Start with a clean install. You must completely remove XBMC for this to work and start with a fresh install.

2. Restore any settings you were previously using and ensure that Extract thumbnail and video information is turned on as it should be by default. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Videos_Settings

3. In computer (windows 7) or my computer(XP) do the following:
XP: Right click and select map network drive
7: Select Map network Drive

Now select the shared folder on your network that you want to get your videos from and finish the wizard.

You now have made this remote drive detect as a local disc on your computer so that the Extract thumbnail and video information option can work.

4. In XBMC when you go to add your video source simply ensure that you select the drive you just created as the source. XBMC will read it as a local drive and will now extract the file data just as if you were using a local copy!

If anyone has any comments or questions please post below Wink
Mine extract just fine using SMB shares.
Hitcher Wrote:Mine extract just fine using SMB shares.

Ditto.
For me with the video hosted on a win 7 computer and using a win xp system to view the files hosted in a remote folder it would not generate a preview image or show any file details such as the resolution unless the file was local. This was using back row but I do not see what a skin would half to do with this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] How to extract video info over network0