Playback choppy for TV Shows only
I've recently started backing up some television series I have on DVD and have been adding them to my library in XBMC on my Xbox. When attempting to playback any of these shows, however, the playback typically gets very choppy whenever there is heavy movement on the show. This is not the case for any of the movies I playback.

I have encoded all of my movies in mkv containers using x264. I have done the same for all of the tv shows. I've also used 19.25 RF constant quality. I'm currently using the latest T3CH build of XBMC and the latest Xbox friendly Transparency skin.

Any idea as to why only TV shows would be choppy under these settings and not movies which are typically much larger files?
Video bitrate is too high probably. You could try to use DVDPlayer instead of Mplayer....
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
arnova Wrote:Video bitrate is too high probably. You could try to use DVDPlayer instead of Mplayer....

Why wouldn't the bitrate be too high on movies though? I'm ripping them the exact same way.
Is the resolution the same?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:Is the resolution the same?

Yes, I have left that the same as the source which on this particular television show is 720x480.
arnova Wrote:Video bitrate is too high probably. You could try to use DVDPlayer instead of Mplayer....

Also just tried DVDplayer instead of MPlayer with the same result.
I meant isn't the resolution of the tv show higher than the resolution of the movies?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
xbs08 Wrote:I meant isn't the resolution of the tv show higher than the resolution of the movies?

No, the two movies I currently have in my library are also 720x480.
reitman1 Wrote:Why wouldn't the bitrate be too high on movies though? I'm ripping them the exact same way.

That depends on what you mean by "the same way". This only applies in case the resulting average (and maximum peak!) bitrates are the same. Better check the files with eg. G-Spot...
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
arnova Wrote:That depends on what you mean by "the same way". This only applies in case the resulting average (and maximum peak!) bitrates are the same. Better check the files with eg. G-Spot...

You are right. Lowering the resolution did lower the bitrate for the television show. I was able to find some other posts that recommended keeping the total pixel size to under 290k and this has seemed to improve it quite a bit, but I'm still trying to find that sweet spot for quality vs. watchability. I'll post anything else I find.
This might help:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68762

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback choppy for TV Shows only0