music library multiple artists seperator
Hello all,

I'm new to XBMC and having some difficulties with the setting of the multiple artist separator field.

I've created an Advancedsettings.xml file within my userdata directory; the contents of the file are exactly as follows:
[INDENT]
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <musiclibrary>
     <itemseparator>;</itemseparator>  
  </musiclibrary>
</advancedsettings>
[/INDENT]I've tried nuking my entire musicDB and rescanning everything in a few times.
Is the rescan necessary?
Are there any whitespaces required in the <itemseperator> field?
Do I need to also include the other <musiclibrary> tags in this file?
Anything else that I'm missing?

I've double checked the log files and its definitely picking up the settings during the initilization...

Many thanks ahead of time,
Belg
That should be all you need. Note that it assumes that all you have is a semicolon - check you don't have whitespace around it in your tags.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:That should be all you need. Note that it assumes that all you have is a semicolon - check you don't have whitespace around it in your tags.

I tired " ; " "; " and ";" They all don't seem to want to split up the multiple artists for various albums.
MediaMonkey (which I'm using to do all of the tagging) is adding in a whitespace after the ";". Any other MM users out there ran across or have a fix for this issue that I'm seeing?

How about an alternative, is there a way to specify which tag XBMC should be using <Album Artist> vs <Artist> Most of my collection are not compilations therefore <artist> would be more applicable to me.
Have you checked inside the files themselves? It could be that what media monkey displays may not match what is actually in the files.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:Have you checked inside the files themselves? It could be that what media monkey displays may not match what is actually in the files.

Yep checked that as well to verify. Checked contents with winamp and sageTV and a few others..

If I mess around with the advanced file do I need to rebuild the entire library upon each edit. I wouldn't think so, but I've been doing so incase...

Let's say I had a bunch of files where:
<Album Artist> field would be A
<Artist> fields would contain A;B;C or A;B or B;C or A;C

when I go to my list of Artists I see:
A/B/C
A/B
B/C and
A/C

I would have expected to see:
A
B
C

As my listing only.
Thoughts?
I recently decided to use Media Monkey to correct all my tags (for nearly 30,000 songs.) I'm working through them now, slowly, but I personally avoid multiple artist tags. I really don't care about seeing the 'featured' artists on tracks. But I did notice that MM uses semi-colon as I've had to manually undo its work on a bunch of items. What you've been trying should work. Later this evening, I'll full sync and build and try to test with some files intentionally tagged with multiple artists separated by semi-colon for you.
kraqh3d Wrote:I recently decided to use Media Monkey to correct all my tags (for nearly 30,000 songs.) I'm working through them now, slowly, but I personally avoid multiple artist tags. I really don't care about seeing the 'featured' artists on tracks. But I did notice that MM uses semi-colon as I've had to manually undo its work on a bunch of items. What you've been trying should work. Later this evening, I'll full sync and build and try to test with some files intentionally tagged with multiple artists separated by semi-colon for you.

That would be great kraqh3d, much appreciated.
kraqh3d Wrote:I recently decided to use Media Monkey to correct all my tags (for nearly 30,000 songs.) I'm working through them now, slowly, but I personally avoid multiple artist tags. I really don't care about seeing the 'featured' artists on tracks. But I did notice that MM uses semi-colon as I've had to manually undo its work on a bunch of items. What you've been trying should work. Later this evening, I'll full sync and build and try to test with some files intentionally tagged with multiple artists separated by semi-colon for you.

Any luck?
Belgrath Wrote:Any luck?

Any thoughts anyone?
Sorry I had to go on an emergency unplanned business trip last week. I didn't get a chance to test it with the latest code. But, now that nightly builds have resumed, you could test it.
no luck on my end Sad
Try artist1 / Artist2 / Artist3

Worked for me with the latest SVN
I use Mediamonkey however to do all of my MP3 tagging, in that program the separator is the ; symbol. That's true for genres, artist, album artist etc. I don't want to have to go thru the entire collection and change ; to / just to get the XBMC view working correctly.

The config file I thought would have been able to do this as per the instructions, I'll give last nights build a go.
jmarshall Wrote:Have you checked inside the files themselves? It could be that what media monkey displays may not match what is actually in the files.

When I specify the place a ; in the artist/album artist tag and I check with Songbird. Songbird shows the ID tag as being a /. So just incase I set my advanced file to be

Quote:<advancedsettings>
<musiclibrary>
<itemseparator>;</itemseparator>
</musiclibrary>
</advancedsettings>
"/ "
'/"
'; "
and
";"

All 4 scenarios seem to be failing Sad

Each time save the advanced file, nuke the database in XBMC, restart XBMC and rebuild the music library. There has to be something simple / brain dead that I'm doing wrong.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
music library multiple artists seperator0