• 17(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
Added to main post,

thanks Smile
Angrenost Wrote:Wohooo... yes you are right! Thank you!

no problem. if you want to set a static IP, edit

/etc/network/interfaces

and comment out

auto eth0

and add (replacing with your details)

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.31
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
Angrenost Wrote:Ok i will try but i have another problem to solve first.
Maybe stupid question but it's stucking me.
I always used Terminal or Fugu to acces and modify my Appletv but in the linux boot i am unable.
Instead of ssh frontrow@myappletvip
i am trying: ssh xbmc@myappletvip as xbmc is now the new user and password but the response after some wait is always: "ssh: connect to host 10.0.1.2 port 22: Operation timed out"
Via Fugu the same,too bad!

The IP is unchanged in the Frontrow side,in Linux should be the same,right?

In order to get the computer name working on your lan you need to set it:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/nsswitch.conf

make sure you set this line:

Code:
hosts:          files dns mdns wins

Install winbind
Code:
sudo apt-get install bind winbind
pin87a Wrote:It still requires a 4GB (or larger) usb drive (i did undersize the image a bit so it should fit on all 4GB drives).

Yes! Pin87a thanx for the new image!!
But... for me just a little more undersizing is needed Sad

Before restoring an image to my new usb stick I made a backup of the stick with the USB Image Tool. This backupfile is 3.913.728 kB in Windows Explorer, while the new atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256.img file is 3.915.776 kB in Windows Explorer.
So, just a little, little, little bit less please?

I'm not wining here, but if a new image is made, maybe just a little more undersizing is possible? Again I think I'm not the only one with 4GB capacity differences.. The more compatible it is, the more people can enjoy it, while being beta-testers. ;-)
Network doesn't work on the minimal image. How can I correct the problem, if I even cannot connect to it using SSH. I have DHCP running in my network, but on different range than the one expected by the image. Any suggestions? If not, I will get back to Sam's image.
reddeath Wrote:Network doesn't work on the minimal image. How can I correct the problem, if I even cannot connect to it using SSH. I have DHCP running in my network, but on different range than the one expected by the image. Any suggestions? If not, I will get back to Sam's image.

Will see if I can fix this tonight and upload a fixed image. I'm not sure if it's waiting for the dhcp lease to expire from my network or what is going on. But i should certainly release the dhcp lease prior to creating the image to avoid this problem in the future.

If you have a usb hub and keyboard you can exit out of xbmc on the atv (exit button on the home screen) and then try to renew dhcp (sudo dhclient -r).

legato23 Wrote:Yes! Pin87a thanx for the new image!!
But... for me just a little more undersizing is needed Sad

Before restoring an image to my new usb stick I made a backup of the stick with the USB Image Tool. This backupfile is 3.913.728 kB in Windows Explorer, while the new atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256.img file is 3.915.776 kB in Windows Explorer.
So, just a little, little, little bit less please?

I'm not wining here, but if a new image is made, maybe just a little more undersizing is possible? Again I think I'm not the only one with 4GB capacity differences.. The more compatible it is, the more people can enjoy it, while being beta-testers. ;-)

Will see what I can do about this too.
Guys at the beginning I have to say thank you Smile for very good job! i downloaded both images and now I need a little help...
I put those images on my 8GB microsd card via USB reader using dd and everything looks ok, but when image starts boting after few minutes stops with information
Code:
Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Droping to a shell!!
what is wrong?
I'm suspecting that the network connectivity issue is perhaps due to an incomplete download. I've tried several times to get it to download, and it's not happening just now (stops at 26%). The first time I think I got >70% before it failed, but after writing it to the USB stick it boots but has no network.

Presumably it has SSH support, and I'm not being an idiot?

I'll hang off for the updated image, and try again then. For what it's worth, though, it's not a great idea to have a swap partition on a USB flash drive - rewriting the same sectors on these things will wreck them. Fair enough for a brief test, but I'd suggest either turning the swap off or changing to a swap partition on the hard disc.
wojo Wrote:Guys at the beginning I have to say thank you Smile for very good job! i downloaded both images and now I need a little help...
I put those images on my 8GB microsd card via USB reader using dd and everything looks ok, but when image starts boting after few minutes stops with information
Code:
Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb3 does not exist. Droping to a shell!!
what is wrong?

Looks like the image isn't properly copied to the card, the Swap partition is not created.

I might be wrong though
dafranca Wrote:In order to get the computer name working on your lan you need to set it:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/nsswitch.conf

make sure you set this line:

Code:
hosts:          files dns mdns wins

Install winbind
Code:
sudo apt-get install bind winbind

Ok,done this,i have added wins to this:
"hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4 wins"
shall i modify also mdsn4 as you wrote or it's ok? Sorry mate but this is almost arabic for me Rofl

dafranca Wrote:just need to add this line to
- /etc/rc.local:
Code:
mount_afp afp://user:pass@theserver/ /mnt/shareddisk
or
- /etc/fstab:
Code:
afpfs#afp://username:password@host/timecapsule volume /mountpoint fuse user=adrick,group=fuse 0 0

If you want to do the other way around(serve AFP from ubuntu with bonjour):
http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubun...ne-volume/
Now i am trying to add the first line here - /etc/rc.local:
but in Fugu and Cyberduck i have permission denied errors,i have looked around the web but still unable to change owners or permission even using cmd+I.
Edit. Nevermind the last part,did it using Terminal instead of Fugu
defiler Wrote:I'm suspecting that the network connectivity issue is perhaps due to an incomplete download. I've tried several times to get it to download, and it's not happening just now (stops at 26%). The first time I think I got >70% before it failed, but after writing it to the USB stick it boots but has no network.
Me too... One time it was 99% (The agony!), then 32%, then 58%... The ironic thing, was that I was downloading it so I can provider a more reliable method for everyone to download it, lol
The minimal image only mounts one partition - the USB stick. It is very fast, maybe 2 times faster to boot up than the heavier image. It also shuts down immediately (suspiciously).
However because of network problem I could not check the video playback.
pin87a Wrote:Will see if I can fix this tonight and upload a fixed image. I'm not sure if it's waiting for the dhcp lease to expire from my network or what is going on. But i should certainly release the dhcp lease prior to creating the image to avoid this problem in the future.

If you have a usb hub and keyboard you can exit out of xbmc on the atv (exit button on the home screen) and then try to renew dhcp (sudo dhclient -r).

Will see what I can do about this too.

can also run this from ssh
Removed minimal link because of problems with the image
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:can also run this from ssh

He has no networking though :p
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15