• 42(current)
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV
deltazulu Wrote:Holy crap.. I am so happy to report that with 31686 and r137, my atv-linux is playing 1080i HDHomeRun content (Mpeg-2) with perfect frame rate and single digit dropped frames (all during first couple seconds).

1080i? Is the crystalhd driver and xbmc handling interlaced contents? I just upgraded to 31686 (and r137 all in aTV(Linux)) and my 1080i sony cx-100 captures are crashing XBMC.

Davilla, let me know if you want mediainfo and crash (remember it's interlaced video, I thought it wasn't yet supported).

Rest of the stuff is working much much better.. still trying to figure out why it takes so long to load my videos (and also to come back at the end of them.. maybe the cpu freq? smb issues?)

cheers!
I finally had time to update my r28256 + chd1.0.3 working setup to the latest xbmc SVN r31718 and crystalhd r137 driver builds. Everything from installing the chd driver to upgrading xbmc seemed to go smoothly.

Now 720p movie playback crashes XBMC every time ("Working" spins a few seconds, then crash) as long as CrystalHD acceleration is switched on in the settings. With acceleration turned off, movies play at their cpu rendered stuttering pace. I also seem to have less free memory in the ATV, I don't know if this is normal for the r31xxx releases.

I have tried rebuilding and installing the crystalhd drivers, also an older version r125, and removing and reinstalling svn xbmc. I renamed my .xbmc folder to reset xbmc to it's default settings but movie playback still crashed the same Sad

I haven't yet figured out an easy way to downgrade to r28256 + chd1.0.3 so I have not tested if playback there still works.

edit: I have an old layout card. Is it broken?

Installing the crystalhd libs and driver
http://pastebin.com/VqS9i9H4

xbmc.old.log
http://pastebin.com/sCyhL0Zk

Mediainfo for the movie file
http://pastebin.com/c2D8svXm

dmesg | grep crystal output
http://pastebin.com/jYK0JReY
used a "fresh" install from Sam's image, then upgraded to the r137 Crystal drivers. Any movie playback now just crashes, and comes back to the umbuntu login screen.

I had previously tried the upgrade with the newer XBMC release as well and had the same results.

I suspect I have the older layout card, as it was a Hong Kong purchase, and quite a while ago now.

here't the log if it helps!

http://pastebin.com/huaEyxui

Thanks!
Need the crash log for any xbmc crashes. note this is not the same as xbmc.log
Doood Wrote:used a "fresh" install from Sam's image, then upgraded to the r137 Crystal drivers. Any movie playback now just crashes, and comes back to the umbuntu login screen.

I had previously tried the upgrade with the newer XBMC release as well and had the same results.

I suspect I have the older layout card, as it was a Hong Kong purchase, and quite a while ago now.

here't the log if it helps!

http://pastebin.com/huaEyxui

Thanks!

Your xbmc.log is clipped so I can't tell which version except it's older than trunk. I'd need to see a dmesg dump and crash logs to see what's going on. I suspect the xbmc version is too old to work correctly with the new driver/lib. I can maintain compatibility of trunk xbmc with old and new driver/lib but not older xbmc with newer driver/lib.
That was a quick reponse!

here's the full log:

http://pastebin.com/8AUYpZzE

I've already downgraded that image back to the 1.0.3 version, and all is fine again.

What I can do, is re-load the backup I made of the non-working latest crystal & xbmc svn combination I had, and get all the error/crash/ etc. logs from there. I'll do this a bit later, have to head to work, sadly on a Sunday.

I'll likley pick up another USB stick, so I can always quicky have a running version when I leave the house. I can't leave the wife without media!

Thanks!
davilla Wrote:Need the crash log for any xbmc crashes. note this is not the same as xbmc.log

I was looking for a xbmc_crashlog-xxx.log file but there were only some old crash logs from a month ago. I just crashed again it by starting movie playback but there is no new crashlog.

Also, memory does not get freed up. After a crash XBMC is left with so little memory it crashes again after a few menu movements. I don't get it, it still seems like xbmc.bin process is taking only 50% of mem according to top....

xorg.log says that turbocache is off, so it should not be related to beta Nvidia drivers
Code:
(II) Jul 11 20:08:40 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce Go 7300 (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) Jul 11 20:08:40 NVIDIA(0): Memory: 65536 kBytes
(--) Jul 11 20:08:40 NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.72.22.68.00
(II) Jul 11 20:08:40 NVIDIA(0): Detected PCI Express Link width: 2X

Okay, now XBMC crashes (on low mem?) as soon as it starts up and xbmc_crashlogs also come flying in

Here one: http://pastebin.com/zqjdCy8U
I too had issues with crashing on every 720p file after upgraded to 31xxx something or other and r137. Then this morning I updated to 31686 and the problem is gone. I did however notice while running 'apt-get install xbmc' to update to the latest svn, that there was a message "recommending package" python-qt3.. I went ahead and intsalled that by doing:
Code:
sudo apt-get install python-qt3
and then did the install xbmc and now no more crashes.. NOt sure if the python package is related, but I wanted to at least point it out.
Often the problem is PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard). Here I found one of mine.

I had problems with my USB stick with either image, I did get the same errors as others:

Quote:Sam:

sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
check root=bootarg cat /proc/modules ls /dev
ALERT! /dev/sdb2 does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Quote:Pin87A

'waiting for root file system'

After reading up I decided that my USB stick doesn't work. Until just before going to bed I get an embarrassing brainwave...

I used:

Quote:sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/sdd1 bs=4096

That's quite silly as that points to the partition on the USB drive, not the disk itself. Being not extremely familiar with Linux I had the source from disk utility. But I didn't realize that it wasn't the disk, but the partition. Just before going to bed I realized my error:

Quote:sudo dd if=atv-usbboot-xbmcbuntu-crystalhd-hdmi-28256-R3.img of=/dev/sdd bs=4096

TAHDAH it worked.

Now I know some people had the problem with the right syntax, but considering my errors are an exact mirror of theirs I'm sure some of them made the same error as I did.
Went on and tried older crystal r126 but it crashed too. It's a local file on atv hdd, I click play, Working spins a few seconds, screen goes black, audio plays for a second or so, but no video, and crash...

I checked, no crashreport.

Downgraded back to 1.0.3 and now eveything works like before.

I guess it's my ebay crystal card, I'll be staying with the old driver then.
I find mounting the internal Apple TV hard drive to be a strange omission in Pin's image.
Can anyone help me out how to mount it on boot?

Thanks!
diegoap Wrote:I want to know which is the best way to install a linux on my aTV ?
I've been reading about CrystalUbuntu. Also I've been reading other threads regarding aTV, linux and Crystal HD.

Does the first post in this thread is updated ? (Last edited by Sam.Nazarko; 2010-06-10 at 13:18. ) Is this is the last version with the last working drivers ?
If not, what should I update ? Does aTV remote control works ? When it starts, does it run xbmc ?

I'm totally noob on linux but I'm going try to install a linux based OS because I've read that Crystal HD drivers works better on linux than on OSX.

The first post links to the last "released" images. There are two - Sam's is the original, and Pin's is a little smaller and seems a little more "finished". Sam's initially had trouble with DHCP networking, which Pin's cleared up. Don't know if that's fixed - I'm running Pin's version.

Yes the Linux version runs better than the OSX version. Don't know if the drivers are better, but there's certainly a lot more memory available which helps a great deal with HD playback. It's not seamless yet, but it's not a full release - it's all SVN parts.

Some people are running later versions of XBMC from the SVN server, and some people are running later versions of the CrystalHD driver. I tried this over the weekend and ran into trouble with performance, so I rolled back to Pin's image. I'll wait for a full release. You may have more luck than me. If you want to start updating the packages you'll probably want to be comfortable playing with apt-get - maybe not for a total Linux noob. The USB images, though, will just copy onto a flash drive and work. Yes, the ATV remote works, and yes they start straight into XBMC.

Anyway, you'll be wanting to get up and running!

What you need to do is download and unrar one of the images, and then write it to a USB drive. This has to be a block-level copy. Don't just copy the .img file and expect it to work - you *must* use a tool like this: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer.

The USB drive must be at least 4GB. Some 4GB drives are a little small, so an 8GB drive would be better - guaranteed to work.

Once the image is written to the drive, pop it in your (switched-off) ATV and start it up. It'll boot Linux straight into XBMC, grab a DHCP address from your router, and be ready to haul movies from a network share.

If you are just using HDMI, this will just work. Stop here, and go and play movies!

If you're using HDMI for video, but another connection for audio, change it in the System ->System->Audio Output->Audio Output Device. If you need the optical audio it's iec958. Remember that if you're using a surround-sound decoder, you'll want to tell XBMC what formats it'll accept (I'm set for Dolby Digital and DTS, for example), and set your passthrough device to the connection into this decoder.

If you're using component you must edit a file on the ATV. You can SSH into it over the network using a tool like PuTTY. Username and password are both "xbmc".

Edit the xorg.conf file like this:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(Sudo will ask for a password - again, it's "xbmc".)

Change the "Screen" section to say this:
Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD720p"
    Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

That'll give you 720p on Component - you can edit the resolution from there. Save the file, reboot the ATV, and whilst that's starting up grab a beer and some popcorn! (Remember, you'll need to check the audio device settings, as above.)
betusr3 Wrote:Got it.. fair enough.. I guess I'll do a little bit of research (i.e. giving it a try with Linux and see how it goes). I never understood how the atvOS (with the awkwardtv driver) could figure it out and set the proper resolution depending on the output device that was on (CRT TV through composite or HDMI projector). That's the reason I'm wondering if it's gonna work the same on Linux.

I'll let you know how it goes.. thanks again!

Just to update if anybody was curious about it.

Installed Pin78's image, and added to the Xorg.conf the composite section taken from Davilla's link (atvdisplay) after the one already in place. I just had to change the Screen name to Screen1.

With that set, when starting X, depending on the output media connected to the aTV (in my case, composite or HDMI), X will choose the right settings.

Super cool!.. thanks for your helps guys.

cheers,
bto
defiler Wrote:The first post links to the last "released" images. There are two - Sam's is the original, and Pin's is a little smaller and seems a little more "finished". Sam's initially had trouble with DHCP networking, which Pin's cleared up. Don't know if that's fixed - I'm running Pin's version.

Thank you very much ... This is very helpful Smile

One final question I forgot... what about audio optical output ?? Does it works ? Should I install something else ?
I have my aTV connected to an AVReciever using optical digital input.

Thanks again
diego
diegoap Wrote:what about audio optical output ?? Does it works ? Should I install something else ?I have my aTV connected to an AVReciever using optical digital input.

Hola diego..

I'm using PIN78's image with optical output..
Go to System->System->Audio Output->Audio Output Device and set it to iec958

(I have the same for Pass-through output device)

hope this helps
beto
  • 42(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Apple TV Crystalbuntu (Ubuntu Linux and Crystal HD) Disk Image for Apple TV15