Kiosk Mode
Lightbulb 
hey just wondering have you put any thought into adding "kiosk Mode"? my peeps keep meesin my views and sorts and askin me dumb questions over and over (tech illiterate)it would just be easier to say "just stay out of settings" let me know if its in the plans or even on your mind and if i can help in any way Smile
CrickDo666 Wrote:hey just wondering have you put any thought into adding "kiosk Mode"? my peeps keep meesin my views and sorts and askin me dumb questions over and over (tech illiterate)it would just be easier to say "just stay out of settings" let me know if its in the plans or even on your mind and if i can help in any way Smile

sure i'm willing to implement some kind of kiosk mode, although quite frankly, i think this would be better handled by xbmc itself instead of depending on every skin to make their own implementation.

but that aside, before i'm going to start on it i have a few questions:
- currently xbmc provides a way to lock certain parts by creating profiles, is it not possible to get what you're after using those ?
- which parts of the skin should be hidden by a kiosk mode?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
The only thing I don't think profiles can do is take away are view options, id="9000" for T!. You can imagine a parent/wife accidentally bringing it up then accidentally changing a view and now they're lost or hitting to hide 'watched' and now half the movies are gone....

I also took away DialogVideoInfo so just in case they wander there they don't screw things up. I couldn't figure out how to take away context menu, when I did it screwed things up...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
thanx for the feedback mcborzu.
i'd like to hear some more thoughts...to see why people think using profiles is not sufficient
and hopefully get a complete list of things that should be hidden from the 'technically challenged' users.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
ok here is my view on the whole "kiosk mode " thing i think it should just disable the option/ability to pull up the view options ( which contain view,sort,library mode,etc) and add a button under settings to enable disable view options
any ways i think mcborzu got it right if that doesnt solve the issues then maybe we shouldnt let slow people play with expensive toys-jk
cheers mate.

if anyone has some other thoughts, keep those ideas coming please ;-)
maybe not in weather tho its nice to be able to check weather in adjoining towns on the fly
and pictures because its also necessary to re-size pics for a better view
also remove add sources
CrickDo666 Wrote:also remove add sources

i don't think there's a way for skins to hide it...
but isn't it already handled by profiles?
ya you're right
any way another thought would be to disable the lock/unlock button on visualizations
hmm....doesn't sound familiar...where can i find this button?
CrickDo666 Wrote:also remove add sources

If you try to hide the "Add sources" it's part of XBMC's native options Nod (in Appearance options)

(sorry already if that's not what you were talking about but that's the way I understood it)
[XBMC-DX r31103 T! r455]
.:LAPTOP:. Dell [C2D E6400] [8G DDR2] [Intel X4500HD] [LED 14'' 1280*800@60p]
.:NAS:. Antec [Ci7 920] [12G DDR3] [Matrox m9148] [19.4 TiB] [Triple Samsung 22'' 5040*1050@60p]
.:HTPC:. Antec [C2 Q9400] [6G DDR2] [nv GT240 VP4] [SB X-FI Ti] [Toshiba 46'' 1920*1080@24p] [Logitech Z5K5]
ya but it might still be nice i was thinking of what a kiosk mode might do
but as far as the lock/unlock visualization it is the Parent Dir/back button command while in visualization and while were at it maybe the context menu/title button too since it only has info someone with admin capability can use instead back should jump out of visualization (like Full-screen/display button) so it will be intuitive for lost lookers then they can still rotate visualization with left/right and get back to lists but it wont screw with settings

another idea i had was to implement kiosk mode as a button under the context menu then admins can use it on the fly w/out going in and out of settings menus (which can be laborious during fine tuning)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kiosk Mode0