Newer nightly builds requires libvdpau1
So I see the nightly builds have recently resumed from months ago for cpde stabilization and thought this would be a good time to start testing Smile

I’ve been running my Apple TV under Linux\Ubuntu 8 (note: only reason I’m not running version 9 or 10 is previously stated problems with HDMI audio with Nvidia drivers which may be fixed and no longer an issue?:confused2Smile

If I try to upgrade to the recent build of xbmc, xbmc-bin requires libvdpau1 which won't install, and not sure if I want to considering I think it requires the newer Nvidia drivers which will kill my HDMI audio?

is there a reason why libvdpau1 which won't work on an apple is a required?
Anybody been down this road yet?

Thanks in advance (and I'll thank you more later Big Grin)
Mike Pisano

$sudo apt-get install xbmc-bin
[sudo] password for frontrow:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc-bin: Depends: libvdpau1 but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

$sudo apt-get install libvdpau1
Building dependency tree
Package libvdpau1 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libvdpau1 has no installation candidate
Mike Pisano Wrote:So I see the nightly builds have recently resumed from months ago for cpde stabilization and thought this would be a good time to start testing Smile

I’ve been running my Apple TV under Linux\Ubuntu 8 (note: only reason I’m not running version 9 or 10 is previously stated problems with HDMI audio with Nvidia drivers which may be fixed and no longer an issue?:confused2Smile

If I try to upgrade to the recent build of xbmc, xbmc-bin requires libvdpau1 which won't install, and not sure if I want to considering I think it requires the newer Nvidia drivers which will kill my HDMI audio?

is there a reason why libvdpau1 which won't work on an apple is a required?
Anybody been down this road yet?

Thanks in advance (and I'll thank you more later Big Grin)
Mike Pisano

$sudo apt-get install xbmc-bin
[sudo] password for frontrow:
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc-bin: Depends: libvdpau1 but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

$sudo apt-get install libvdpau1
Building dependency tree
Package libvdpau1 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libvdpau1 has no installation candidate

that's a build bug, you should create a trac ticket for it. and include this info. This post is really in the wrong section. It's a XBMC for Linux issue, not a XBMC for Mac or XBMC for AppleTV issue as both of those are running under OSX.
Thanks Scott,

I thought so, Just wanted to confirm since I don’t consider myself an "expert" in Linux.

Sorry for posting here, it’s just VDPAU is more of a Linux (Unix) technology and this issue probably wouldn’t surface for Linux users. Having a Apple TV not running OSX sort of leave me in the cracks on where to post issues that we would have; I was hoping someone (you) would game me some direction so thank you (again) - I owe you another beer.

Regards,
Mike Pisano
Mike Pisano Wrote:Thanks Scott,

I thought so, Just wanted to confirm since I don’t consider myself an "expert" in Linux.

Sorry for posting here, it’s just VDPAU is more of a Linux (Unix) technology and this issue probably wouldn’t surface for Linux users. Having a Apple TV not running OSX sort of leave me in the cracks on where to post issues that we would have; I was hoping someone (you) would game me some direction so thank you (again) - I owe you another beer.

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Any Linux user running older nvidia drivers will get hit with it.
Somewhat off topic but still related to "Older nvidia drivers"

Is it still accurate that HDMI audio won’t work with newer Ubuntu\Nvidia versions? (or are we beyond this)

I would like to upgrade to the latest kernel if possible but I’ve been scared into thinking that audio won’t work properly?

My current apple TV is in the bedroom where it’s playing through the Samsung LCD via HDMI, none of the skin audio works for me, but movies play fine.

Next is to replace the XBOX in the living room and if AC3 is going to be an issue with HDMI on Apple TV in curent and future versions, I might lean towards ION or a QuadCore\I5?

Appreciate your thoughts,
Thanks again,
Mike
Quote:Is it still accurate that HDMI audio won’t work with newer Ubuntu\Nvidia versions? (or are we beyond this)

Yes, some inquiring person would have to investigate if the newest nvidia driver with the various tricks that have been learned about it will enable audio over HDMI on the AppleTV"

Quote:I would like to upgrade to the latest kernel if possible but I’ve been scared into thinking that audio won’t work properly?

Why? What does the latest kernel offer that the current one is missing"
Mike Pisano Wrote:So I see the nightly builds have recently resumed from months ago for cpde stabilization and thought this would be a good time to start testing Smile

Great, I wasnt aware. Has the re-merge happened and do the nightlies now include the new add-on structure and also the PVR?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
steve1977 Wrote:Great, I wasnt aware. Has the re-merge happened and do the nightlies now include the new add-on structure and also the PVR?

add-ons (yes), pvr (no)
davilla Wrote:add-ons (yes), pvr (no)

Sorry for the double post: I am updating from the "repository ppa:team-xbmc" (on Ubuntu Lucid). However, I am still stuck with R26018. If the nightlies are up and running again, shouldnt it be somewhere in the 3xxxxx including addons. Also, 2 more questions:

1) With the new add-on release, will my skins, scripts and plugins all break upon installation and do I then need to update them as well?

2) Is I now do it once, can I upgrade later to the stable built or will this require a fresh-install?

Thanks for your help!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
davilla Wrote:Why? What does the latest kernel offer that the current one is missing"

Nothing - It's just my OCD nature wanting me to me on the latest versions of everything Big Grin

As always your right ; I should stick with what works! Any Kernel enhancements at a threading level probably wouldn’t help performance on the Apple TV’s Pentium-M.

Thanks Again,
Mike Pisano
Scott (et al)

I had been using the older frozen March SVN build until about a month ago unable to upgrade due to the libvdpau1 dependency.

when I read the post about adding:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

to the /etc/apt/source.list file to get around the dependency

Well the Apple TV was upgraded, but performance was very choppy even with Non HD content (like pulsing) so I left it alone for two weeks. I have now done an upgrade again and am on the revision R32246 (July 28) which plays nice, but I have lost the crystal option radio button and no HD acceleration

Up to now the crystal drivers installed were from the initial guide (crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd) which were manually build and installed

Since they seemed not to work with this newer XBMC I have tried the SVN version (144)
(svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/.../crystalhd)
Did the configure and build\install which didn’t seem to help

Then I also tried:
sudo apt-get install libcrystalhd-dev
also didn’t work

Does Crystal work in R32246? Do I have some issue because of possible multiple drivers being installed or wrong driver? Or has my card taken a cr@p ?

Thanks again for all your help and sugestions

Regards,
Mike Pisano
Mike Pisano Wrote:Scott (et al)

I had been using the older frozen March SVN build until about a month ago unable to upgrade due to the libvdpau1 dependency.

when I read the post about adding:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/ppa/ubuntu hardy main

to the /etc/apt/source.list file to get around the dependency

Well the Apple TV was upgraded, but performance was very choppy even with Non HD content (like pulsing) so I left it alone for two weeks. I have now done an upgrade again and am on the revision R32246 (July 28) which plays nice, but I have lost the crystal option radio button and no HD acceleration

Up to now the crystal drivers installed were from the initial guide (crystalhd-for-osx-1.0.3/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd) which were manually build and installed

Since they seemed not to work with this newer XBMC I have tried the SVN version (144)
(svn checkout http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/.../crystalhd)
Did the configure and build\install which didn’t seem to help

Then I also tried:
sudo apt-get install libcrystalhd-dev
also didn’t work

Does Crystal work in R32246? Do I have some issue because of possible multiple drivers being installed or wrong driver? Or has my card taken a cr@p ?

Thanks again for all your help and sugestions

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Know problem with PPA installs for the past month. Currently PPA is being rebuild and this should be resolve once PPAs get back on line.

Personally, I don't use PPA, I build XBMC for Linux on the AppleTV itself, it's not hard and once you do it, it becomes trivial to update. Since one of my AppleTV is a production box (hooked to the house HDTV), I actually keep two svn directories and ping pong between them. That way if I update via one and don't like it, I can easily re-install the pervious with a simple "sudo make install".
Thanks - Atleast I know I didn't mess up the driver level.

I've been thinking about just building it - Still building XBOX, why not Smile

I've just been hoping that the PPA's would be back online considering the original timeline on Dharma. (me and the rest of the world)

I’m going to pick up another iTV or possible a mac mini and use it more for development. If the new box comes before the PPA I guess I’ll be building it too.

For now I’m just staying away from the HD content on this TV which isn’t a problem considering I don’t have much while I still try to support the XBOX's in all the other rooms.

As always, Thanks for the reply - appriciate it Smile

Regards,
Mike Pisano

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newer nightly builds requires libvdpau10