Wall 2.0
WhyS Wrote:I think he meant that it should only be a horizontal-type scrolling i.e left and right. And not left-right-up-down.
I think it's pretty fine as it is since the bottom and top posters are almost always visible, no matter what you're highlighting at the moment.

That's exactly what I gathered from what he said and I still think it's stupid.
A fixed directional wall view is useless imho. The view is fantastic as is.
If you want to be restricted to one axis use wall panel view.
hikaricore Wrote:That's exactly what I gathered from what he said and I still think it's stupid.

I've never encountered a wall that works that way..
For me, that concept works with only 4 horizontal rows, as it is right now with the current size of the posters. Any more and I feel you would get lost navigating..
Are there any skins out there that implements this in a bigger fashion? I'd love to try it.
hikaricore Wrote:That's exactly what I gathered from what he said and I still think it's stupid.

You've tried the new version of the wall right?

There's absolutely no reason to scroll down ONE row! (When doing so the screen jumps TWICE for just that one row on the bottom.)

If the wall extended down 10 rows or more than I could understand being able to scroll both vertical and horizontal. However there are NO wall views (that I know of) that extend BOTH ways (vertical AND horizontal.) You select one OR the other, thus the covers either extend to the right indefinitely or they extend down indefinitely.

The issue with having more than one scroll path is that if you scroll to the right while at the top you now have missed EVERY movie that was past the last viewable cover row. To go and see them you now have to scroll down and then work your way back. If there's even more rows you now have to do this again, scroll down and then work your way across! This is why multiple scroll path Wall Views DO NOT work, you cause the user to scroll more than necessary to see all their movies.
Well my musicwall does this on a bigger fashion though it's only cool till you get to the end, thats why I made the shelf view for music because you cant have a fixed positioned wall view, though I gave it a try...

And in T!, there is a wall view thats really a single wraplist with fake thumbs around it...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
I've been using the new wall view for the better part of the day now and have had no issues.
The way it currently works is exactly what I'd expect from a wall view, and honestly I've seen it this way in a few other skins.
Like I've already said limiting the user to one axis defeats the purpose of a view like this and turns it into yet another flashy view with no real benefit.
hikaricore Wrote:I've been using the new wall view for the better part of the day now and have had no issues.
The way it currently works is exactly what I'd expect from a wall view, and honestly I've seen it this way in a few other skins.
Like I've already said limiting the user to one axis defeats the purpose of a view like this and turns it into yet another flashy view with no real benefit.

And my point still stands. If the wall only extends down by ONE row, what's the point of having that ONE row?
To give you something to bitch about obviously.
Very true! Smile

But I still have yet to hear a good excuse.... or a reply other than someone using the word stupid.

I don't bitch or preach! I just bring forward thoughts and ideas and argue points in a light-hearted fashion. If nothing is ever offered or discussed than nothing is ever improved or fixed.
Take this pic as an example:

This is how alot of others deal with having the focused item from going off screen by shifting ONLY the focused item...Don't know why but I don't like the focused item popping up differently. Thats why I move the whole wall when you are on the top row, the far left moves 20px, and the first bottom 3. And having the wall move looks and feels cool/different...

Plus having the wall overstretch the screen keeps me from having to create fake thumbs on the top and bottom like before...Those were my thoughts while doing it

Ah, now I understand why you have the fourth row in there... It adds to the 'illusion' that the wall extends further down.

I think I've narrowed my issue with the row movement. It's that when you go from row 1 to row 2 it moves a fair amount, while moving from row 2 to 3 it doesn't move and then 3 to 4 it moves up once again but not as much as the first movement.

Would it be possible to change the movements of the row to be an equal amount for each shift from 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. This might make it move and look a lot smoother.
The other issue I find is that when moving from column 3 row 4 to column 4 row 4 the covers move down again as if I had just moved up a row...?
So I spent a little time fiddling with the Wall View and I came up with the following.

I removed all info except for the flags (Speaking of which I think your missing a DVD Media Flag.) I also removed the static covers and extended the list indefinitely to the right, (to 10,000 actually but you get the point.) At the 6th column the wall moves left with each choice to the right. A gradient mask was added to show the covers as if they were disappearing into the distance, (straight right to left gradient as opposed to your horseshoe gradient. I found it faded out too much of the upper and lower covers.)

I have no idea how to host files so if you'd like to try it out let me know how I can send it to you or host it.
I'd be willing to look at it, if only to see how badly loading 3,000 movie posters at once bogs down a decent system.
Pastebin should do the trick since it's only one view and likely only one file.
I'll look at anything...I was wondering how far you can go with the width tag- 10,000? I'm curious about that. Will it run on XBOXBig Grin

But yea host it, post it I'll take a look...

I'm willing to bet anything over a 50-100 would murder an xbox. :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wall 2.00