New SVN resulted in broken XBMC, how can I get back to good version?
(Despite my username, I am NOT using XBMC Live, but instead am trying to run a non-Live version under Ubuntu Karmic).

This is probably partly my own dumb fault, but a couple of months ago I was having a minor problem with XBMC (I think it was with the Alaska skin) and someone told me to add the SVN repository and that fixed the problem, and all was good until last night when I let it update to the latest SVN. Well as you can guess, all my plugins stopped working. So in an attempt to fix that, I unchecked the SVN repository in Synaptic and searched for XBMC and uninstalled everything XBMC-related, then installed from the "official" repository. Well, that sort of brought back my plugins, but nothing is working right - things don't display as they should, scrapers don't work, when I try to set content on a directory the settings don't stick and some of the settings can't be changed, etc. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling in Synaptic several times, and also found where I had actually downloaded the SVN (specifically build 28569-1_i386) and tried installing that using gdebi (strangely, even though that's the version I had installed up until last night, now when I install it, it won't even start! I tried running it from the terminal window and it complained about unmet dependencies).

Knowing any one of the following would help me:

1) A way to force existing plug-ins and skins (particularly Alaska) to work with the latest SVN version

2) A list of all directories used by XBMC (I have access to another machine built at the same time as mine and if I knew what to copy, I could copy the working installation from over there).

3) How to install an SVN version from a .deb file in such a way that all dependencies are also installed (what's really strange is, it worked before when I did that, can't understand why it refuses to work now, although I'm thinking it might be because I installed it over the original non-SVN version, but can't do that now because it CLAIMS the non-SVN version that I installed from the non-SVN repository is newer, though I actually doubt that).

4) A an easy way to back up an entire directory (such as bin, lib, sbin, usr, var, etc.) on one system, then bring it to another and expand it so that it replaces the existing directory.

Right now XBMC is broke in a major way; almost nothing seems to be working right.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New SVN resulted in broken XBMC, how can I get back to good version?0