Motion interpolation / Frame interpolation near real-time on-the-fly video processing
Lightbulb 
Hi.

The idea is the same as in analog cinema. Your picture has 24 fps, and you're using a special device to generate intermediary frames mixed from both the last and the next frame. This doubles refresh rate with difference frames.

I'm not really sure if xbmc isn't doing that in some sort already, because the vdpau documentation is talking about motion compensation is done by the gpu.

What i also couldn't find out is, if this "motion compensation" is also for generating intermediary frames *between* the original frames in the encoded material to meet the output frame rate (eg. 60hz).

I'm sure this has been discussed already, i'm sorry that i couldn't anything usefull in the forums. Maybe i'm not aware of the correct wording).

best regards
VDPAU only uses motion compensation for deinterlacing.
Simulating a 100Hz-TV smoothness via software/GPU ?

This would be worth a whole release alone !
This would be awesome !
Awesome? I say death to frames that does not exist in the source (read artificial image and motion)! You can keep your 200 hz LCD shit TV's and I'll watch true 24 frames on my plasma. But each to his own Wink
IIRC, there is no open source software which can be used for doing this.
also it's evil. i'm with bleze, yuck.
ubuntuf4n Wrote:IIRC, there is no open source software which can be used for doing this.

Yes there is http://jcornet.free.fr/linux/yuvmotionfps.html
It pretty much sucks though.
You cannot accurately reflect more data than was in the original source. The original was 24fps. You cannot invent data to cover the gaps. You can determine how frequently to show the 24 frames in 60 cycles or 120 cycles, but that is all.
GJones.. While you can't accuratly do it, your statement is not entirely true.. We upscale scale images to a higher resolution. Ie we don't do Neigborhood scaling, but binlinear or something "better". That is exactly the same as doing time based interpolation.

The only thing here really is that the algorithms for it is still quite bad + we are so used to the 24fps playback which has become synonym with movies.

I've started liking having that feature set to lowest instead of off on my TV.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It's easy enough to do. Using DSplayer, set up ffdshow, tick the avisynth box, put in a script (there's tons of them) and away you go. I'm doing it right now.
elupus Wrote:GJones.. While you can't accuratly do it, your statement is not entirely true.. We upscale scale images to a higher resolution. Ie we don't do Neigborhood scaling, but binlinear or something "better". That is exactly the same as doing time based interpolation.

The only thing here really is that the algorithms for it is still quite bad + we are so used to the 24fps playback which has become synonym with movies.

I've started liking having that feature set to lowest instead of off on my TV.

I agree that you can do interpolation. I do not agree that it produces more useful information. You get very specific guess, but still guesses. This is no replacement for having a higher resolution source.
Exclamation 
TerranQ Wrote:It's easy enough to do. Using DSplayer, set up ffdshow, tick the avisynth box, put in a script (there's tons of them) and away you go. I'm doing it right now.

I would like to know how to get xbmc to do this automatically using avisynth. Can someone point me in a direction for introducing interpolation (more frames for a lower frame source) into xbmc playback for all streams?

As I've upgraded to a 150" television, I prefer watching more frames as opposed to 24/25/29 frames a second. On a 46" television, the extra frames look like crap but the 150" make it look more realistic. 150" really shows the jerkyness of 24/25/29/etc frames a second.
If it's not in the original source material and is 'added', then it's noise.
The fact it might be 'pretty noise' still makes it noise.

My daughter likes to play Vivaldi on the violin, only she adds sounds that shouldn't be there.... she calls it music, I know it's noise.

Besides, XBMC can already double the number of frames shown for a movie.
Just watch it twice.
AnalogKid Wrote:If it's not in the original source material and is 'added', then it's noise.
The fact it might be 'pretty noise' still makes it noise.

My daughter likes to play Vivaldi on the violin, only she adds sounds that shouldn't be there.... she calls it music, I know it's noise.

Besides, XBMC can already double the number of frames shown for a movie.
Just watch it twice.

You sir, are exactly what you preach against.
By commenting in a thread titled 'Frame interpolation' and having nothing to contribute to the discussion apart from your own useless opinion would be considered 'noise'.

To all those interested, this seems to be the only option for now.
http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-enable...files/329/

I've just run through and done some testing of my own and it seems to work fairly well. I just wish i could output video processing to the GPU as i can't run 720p or 1080p straight off the CPU.
The program used is Media Player Classic.
It would be nice to see this implemented into XBMC as it has a much nicer interface or least a crude implementation like the one used in this guide...
I think the motion processing will take a little getting used to, but will provide a more realistic experience overall.

Sorry about the first paragraph. I just dislike hypocrites with a passion and forum discussions that just turn from providing useful information and helping each other to just another place to thrust your opinion upon another person.
If you don't want to struggle around with all these codecs and packs:
There is a commercial alternative, which is called splash pro.

However, an implementation into xbmc, especially for people which dislike video-stuttering (by source), would be very nice.

Time will tell..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Motion interpolation / Frame interpolation near real-time on-the-fly video processing0