What do you think of my new setup?
pike Wrote:@andy204

Have you fitted a slim ODD (dvd/bluray reader) in the case?

I guess not, since there seem to be many things that can go wrong then, with ZOTAC + the PicoPSU + RAM

several people have problems with the RAM DIMM's going so high that you can't mount the ODD. (they say you need VLP Dimm's)
several people have had the same problem with the PicoPSU (one guy solved it with a homemade ATX adapter)

I like the way you fitted your heatpipes, not like the other people on becubed's forum...

Btw, which do you reckon produces more heat ? the atom cpu or the gpu ?

i can say anything about fitting a dvd drive. when i was fishinshed with assembling i thought that i have enough space left. but i do not really know. i dont think that the ram is too high, maybe the position of the micropsu sucks. maybe a board with an onboard 12V would be the better decision. (but then buying another silent psu sucks.)

thanks for the heatpipe kudos Smile

gpu produces alot more heat. in the last days where we had about 26-28 degree inside the living room, the cpu had 23-24°C and the gpu 54°C

-andy
CrystalHD Installer XBMC Community Forum Thread -
Apple TV CrystalHD Installer Announcement - Broadcom CrystalHD Installer
http://www.sartori.at/ - my weblog

Sync your MAC and Google Account (+ Google Apps) - Click here for 5$ Discout

Living Room: HFX Micro black - Zotac IONITX G - Intel X25V - Hama remote
Bedroom: Linux AppleTV - CrystalHD
@andy204 did u polish the cooling blocks' surface before putting paste on and fixing them to motherboard and case ? I saw some guy had to do it, cause they weren't smooth at all, this can improve heat conductivity somewhat.

also did you use the bigger aluminum block for the gpu then and 4 screws to fix it to the motherboard, or did u use it for the cpu instead ?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

pike Wrote:@andy204 did u polish the cooling blocks' surface before putting paste on and fixing them to motherboard and case ? I saw some guy had to do it, cause they weren't smooth at all, this can improve heat conductivity somewhat.

also did you use the bigger aluminum block for the gpu then and 4 screws to fix it to the motherboard, or did u use it for the cpu instead ?

nope, there was no need to polish them. fitted perfectly.

bigger cooling block on the gpu. there was no other way to mount it. according to the size of the cooling blocks and the position of the mounting holes. i only had to improvise abit, since there was one of the "larger" screws missing. 2 mounting holes for each cooling block. i couldnt fix it one block with 4 screws.

-andy

Hi again.

I got all the parts delivered and started the assembly. I am also missing two of the screw nuts needed to fasten the cooler blocks to the motherboard.

How did you handle this?

Besides that the assembly is going great, the heatpipes are not that hard to fit into place. I have made a slightly different layout than you, although almost the same. I will post pictures when I am done. Smile
Skreiber Wrote:Hi again.

I got all the parts delivered and started the assembly. I am also missing two of the screw nuts needed to fasten the cooler blocks to the motherboard.

How did you handle this?

Besides that the assembly is going great, the heatpipes are not that hard to fit into place. I have made a slightly different layout than you, although almost the same. I will post pictures when I am done. Smile

post many pics and higher res. and different angles please (of heatpipes)
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Skreiber Wrote:Hi again.

How did you handle this?

i used the "larger" screws for the big cooling block (graphics card). and used the smaller screws just for mounting the block ... damn. stupid english Tongue

look at the picture:
red = large screws
white = smaller screws (slottet screw)

at bottom of the mainboard i used the plastic shims.

http://crystalhd.sartori.at/hfx/screws.png

-andy

missing screws... any of you bother to report this to mcubed/hfx ? if so, what was their response ?

Btw, I just noticed they raised the price on Micro M2 with 20 Eurs in their webshop

pike Wrote:missing screws... any of you bother to report this to mcubed/hfx ? if so, what was their response ?

Btw, I just noticed they raised the price on Micro M2 with 20 Eurs in their webshop

maybe they are not missing and we are too dumb to understand the mounting? Smile

but no, i have not reported this.
-andy

I got the whole thing assembled now. But I have a problem again Sad

When I connect the ssd with the power cable from the psu the computer won't start. It is not reacting at all, like if I didn't push the power button at all. I have no problem if I disconnect the ssd.

I have tried connecting 2 other hdd's, a ssd and a regular 3.5 disk, but with the same result: no power response at all. So I don't thing the hdd is the problem.

I have checked all the cables and pins and everything looks fine.

I have installed the motherboard an connected the psu to the big 20 pin plug, connected the front usb to motherboard and the powerbutton is connected. I have not connected anything else. Am I missing something here?

To me it looks like a problem with the psu, but it's just a guess, and I am only a beginner in this area.

I have tried googling but could not find a answer. What do I do now?

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. Let me know if I should start a new thread or if there is a better place to post this question.

PS: I have taking some pictures of my assembly, I will post them with a description of how I assembled the computer after I fix.

PPS: I am using the EF12 psu, the same as Andy, and I have no dvd drive in it as I bought the S1 without room for an extra drive.
maybe the psu cannot power motherboard and SSD/HDD but it seems like a longshot, because I think there shouldn't be a problem

I've read that some Mobo have porblems with psu's is it possibly to try another psu and see if thats the problem?

-=Jason=-
I have no other psu that fits the 20 pin. I have written an email to the psu seller and asked if I can get a new one or maybe a bigger.

Psu, motherboard and ssd is the same as Andy, and his works...
Still very much love this set-up and the Micro M2 or S1 board. Any thought whether the MB used by the Foxconn 330 would fit into the case? See thread below about the box. My issue with it is that it is so loud. If I can take out the MB and put it into the Micro S1 case and operate it fanless, this would be heaven!!!

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=75409
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Could you link to a picture to the motherboard you are thinking of. I think the physically placement of the heatpipes and the height of the board is the only things you have to worry about, but I am really not an expert, so wait for other peoples opinions also.

A little side note (not related to your question). In my setup (Zotac G series mobo), I only have room for 1 ram stick because of the psu takes up to much space. If I put 2 ram sticks in the "coils" on the psu are leaning on the ram, and I think they will get too hot.
Correct me if I am wrong here, its just my own logic that tells me it will be a problem, but I dont know if it actually will be a problem.

For my own setup and power problems: Still not working with hdd connected but will try with one of my friends PSU's in the start of next with and come with an update.
Skreiber Wrote:Could you link to a picture to the motherboard you are thinking of. I think the physically placement of the heatpipes and the height of the board is the only things you have to worry about, but I am really not an expert, so wait for other peoples opinions also.

A little side note (not related to your question). In my setup (Zotac G series mobo), I only have room for 1 ram stick because of the psu takes up to much space. If I put 2 ram sticks in the "coils" on the psu are leaning on the ram, and I think they will get too hot.
Correct me if I am wrong here, its just my own logic that tells me it will be a problem, but I dont know if it actually will be a problem.

For my own setup and power problems: Still not working with hdd connected but will try with one of my friends PSU's in the start of next with and come with an update.

i have to ram sticks mounted. no problem at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do you think of my new setup?0