Can I keep XBMC from poluting my VIDEO_TS directory?
I have many movies, and I am trying to determine the best way to scrape all of them. That being said, I only want to do this once. Preferable, I would have all of the scraped information stored locally, in case I need to rebuild database. But here is my dilemma:

My movies are all stored in the following format:
My_Movies/Movie_Name/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS_IFO

If I manually scrape (using folder name as movie name), then export database as individual files, it puts all associated files in VIDEO_TS directory. This will cause some DVD-software to fail, as the VIDEO_TS directory is of a predetermined format.

Is there a way to specify to put all information in a parallel directory, like
My_Movies/Movie_Name/XBMC_information

Thanks!
Nope, not possible at this point. Sorry.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I'm having the exact same problem with my video_ts folders; although only 10% of my library (40/400 movies) are stored this way.

Why can't xbmc use the video_ts' parent folder? This way we could keep the fanart, thumbnail and nfo file out of the video_ts folder.

Also xbmc won't find the folder.jpg in the video_ts folder during automated scans but finds it when the title is refreshed manually afterward.

We should be able to have 3 files in the parent folder of each video file/video_ts folder: movie.nfo, fanart.jpg, and folder.jpg.
I agree, parent directory or even parallel directory to VIDEO_TS (although this may cause issue with some players). But leave VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS alone.
Hi,

Sorry for the hikack.

I use WMP on my main PC where my movies are stored, in the same sort of directory mentioned above, MyMovies was about the simplest easiest way for me to sort out movie art and details within Windows so became my default for my movie library.

From what I am reading in this post, I gather XBMC not compatible with my file system therefor will I be wasting my time with it?
sastusbulbas Wrote:Hi,

Sorry for the hikack.

I use WMP on my main PC where my movies are stored, in the same sort of directory mentioned above, MyMovies was about the simplest easiest way for me to sort out movie art and details within Windows so became my default for my movie library.

From what I am reading in this post, I gather XBMC not compatible with my file system therefor will I be wasting my time with it?

I would not say that. The problem described is specific to those that keep their movies stored in VIDEO_TS folders (a minority of users) and then export their library (an even smaller minority of users).
If you're concerned only about storing the XBMC database information then you can export to a single folder - this will place all thumbnails and information into a single folder of your choosing.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I guess I'll just create image files for the 40 or so movies I have stored this way as I can not for the life of me get xbmc to find the folder.jpg file and use it as the thumb when scraping movies stored in video_ts folders. It'll find the video_ts.nfo and fanart.jpg but not folder.jpg in the video_ts folder or in it's parent directory.
I have tried video database export to single file, but I don't believe it exports the images... Am I mistaken?
Sorry, but I have to say this... Using a different container (say, mkv) instead of a VIDEO_TS folder would make this a lot cleaner. And it only becomes polluted when you export. It's rather simple just to avoid exporting.
in either case we should remedy this. been on my list (and trac) for a long time.
GJones Wrote:Sorry, but I have to say this... Using a different container (say, mkv) instead of a VIDEO_TS folder would make this a lot cleaner. And it only becomes polluted when you export. It's rather simple just to avoid exporting.

I'd like to keep all of my cover, fanart, and nfo files stored locally rather than rely on the scraper. As it is now, at least the nfo file has to be in the video_ts folder and it's not finding the folder.jpg file.

I started to convert everything to isos for compatibility but it takes forever doing it one by one. I'd like to leave them as they are.
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, due to the volume of VIDEO_TS I have, format conversion is not feasible. I, as well as wannabegt4, would like to keep local NFOs (scrape once and never have to do it again, until new movies are added). With locally stored nfos, if DB ever got corrupted I would hope a rebuild would be easy, rather than a rescrape.

If you don't export, how does one get locally stored NFOs?
you write them by hand.
Shocked

I need about 1500.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I keep XBMC from poluting my VIDEO_TS directory?0