non-numeric track 'numbers'
i have a couple of vinyl 'rips' in my music collection that are not using 01, 02 ,03... for the track listings. instead to maintain the release information i have tagged the tracks as A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3, C1, C2...

right now library view does not list the track numbers if they are non-numeric; the track information lists them all as track 0. is there a way to allow xbmc to process the non-numeric track tags? these are all flac using ogg tags.

thanks!
Nope. Numeric only. Not sure what "release information" you need that requires A/B/C ?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks for the quick reply.

something like these two releases:

animal crack box
http://www.discogs.com/release/1776619

warp20 box set
http://www.discogs.com/release/1939634

especially the warp20 box. there are vinyl and cd's and i am just trying to organize it as it is labeled on the release itself. how do you guys usually handle these types?
I'd label it as track 1 disk 1 rather than A1. You might want to have a nosy through the sources and see how much assumes track number in numeric format - there's quite a bit if I recall correctly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

yeah i think it is more my being neurotic about the tagging. an album that has A1, A2, B1, B2 would become Disc 1, tracks 1,2,3,4 when tracks 3 and 4 are actually '1' and '2'. or would you suggest a 'disc' for each side? that would work, but technically there'd be twice as many 'discs'.

i'll look through the source but i am not at the level of being able to rework it, much less even compile it yet. but this would be a great feature. i have lots of vinyl that will probably be making its way into the collection. thanks for the info!
Hey now that a few years have passed, i was wondering if this could be revisited? It would be great, since this original post i have accumulated many vinyl, mutliformat, and cassettes rips for my collection, and we still get only track 0 for any track with a non-numeric track number. I know that the tag libraries have change since i first asked. is this something that would be more possible now?

fwiw, whatever is in the tag field for track shows up as the track no. in Foobar2000. its doesnt seem to break anything there, though i know its a totally different product. this would really be a great feature for me.
(2017-01-27, 02:58)koawmfot Wrote: Hey now that a few years have passed, i was wondering if this could be revisited? It would be great, since this original post i have accumulated many vinyl, mutliformat, and cassettes rips for my collection, and we still get only track 0 for any track with a non-numeric track number. I know that the tag libraries have change since i first asked. is this something that would be more possible now?

fwiw, whatever is in the tag field for track shows up as the track no. in Foobar2000. its doesnt seem to break anything there, though i know its a totally different product. this would really be a great feature for me.

You need to ask in the music support specific forum. There are a couple open threads on requested improvements for Kodi 18 (Leia). Note that ID3v2 tags as used in MP3 files specify that TRCK
Quote:is a numeric string containing the order number of the audio-file on its original recording
which would seem to preclude using mixed strings such as "A1" for vinyl. Kodi does currently save it as a integer.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I actually disagree with this..... since you have ripped (or acquired, whatever) the music, its no longer sitting on its physical medium anymore. Therefor, you can treat it as a single album order, since you literally do not have to flip the record. So A1, would now be 1 and so on, and B1 would the logical step after the A side is complete. Or, you could split it as separate discs.
Although, the only benefit would be for scraping purposes..... in which there is no other source for a particular album other then a vinyl (cassette) or whatever release. Since musicbrainz does allow for the A1... format, then I'm actually conflicted if I actually like this or not.
Moved: Lets have this over in Music Corner where it belongs.

Non-numeric track numbers... oh boy, do we really want this?

From a data point of view, numbers make far better indices and sorting. Also Kodi stores combine track and disc number as a single number, again for efficient sorting etc. So I would be strongly against such a major change.

For efficient scraping get the artist and album musicbrainz ids in there.
Thanks for the responses. I kind of reopened a long dead thread and was afraid the forums may have changed too much for anyone to see it. Thanks for moving to the right place.

Is there a possible other field i could use to show this info, and keep track number as a number? i can then customize the skin to show the other field...
I can't think of a tag to abuse in that way at the moment. There is always COMMENT I suppose, unless you have used that for other things, or MOOD. All a bit ugly.

But I am looking at support for user defined properties (otherwise discussed as "custom tagging"), and that would give you this. So have hope Smile
At risk of being accused or volunteered

Maybe done as a addon or option within kodi instead. Basically it's a multistate variable who's value is determined by index which is set by track number and "units" as defined by the user. So you could have:

index# unit0 unti1 unit2 unit3
0 0 A1 Sun AA
1 1 A2 Mon ABB
2 2 A3 tue XYZ
3 3 A4 wed Fear and loathing
4 4 A5 thurs 1234A

So it reduces to table lookups. But the you're reliant on the enduser to populate the table. And how to specify which albums get looked up or not.., it's work. I'm running while I can.

Late edit: wrt a record.
Disc 2 becomes the B side.
Just adding.

Yeah, I think whoever wrote wrt adding a tag is right. Far simpler that my thought. So if, for ex., I dropped a list of names with a special char for a delimiter in the comments section, then i'd have something portable, simple, and editable. From what little I've mapped out of MyMusic56, I think I can bastardize something for my own amusement. I'm thinking two new columns (msvValue and msvListOfValues) and see how much bastardizing it takes to lookup and display msvValue rather than track number. I hope this makes sense. O I'm stupid on monday
good thoughts for sure. i was the one that had suggested using another tag field, even a custom one, as long as i can get kodi to read it. creating or tagging a custom field might be a little rework on my tags but not much, and i could always have it fall back to the track in the skin presentation so if the custom field does not exist, just show the default track value.

as far as using comment, i actually already use that, and have been using a custom "dilalogsonginfo.xml" for, what i guess, is probably 7 years or more now to show the entire comment in a scrolled window. i fill the comment with the Discogs data for the release plus an album review. I do not do any automatic scraping. its a painful process to properly tag my collection, as my neurosis forces me to catalog the exact Discogs release that the music came from, and if a Discogs entry does not exist, to create one.

i need to look over all the tags that kodi reads, and correlate them to the available listitem properties i can show in the dialog, and then somehow get it to display what i want. this is probably the easiest path without changing the functionality of the product.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
non-numeric track 'numbers'0