[Live] Which video card for my build?
Hey everyone, I'm going to convert an old computer I have laying around into a HTPC. It is a single core P4 3.0 Ghz, so I am thinking I will need to employ some hardware acceleration via my video card. It seems that nvidia's VDPAU is the best option right now for HW acceleration. Currently, the TV is not HD, but that will change in a few months, and I would like to ensure I have enough power to play ripped blurays. THerefore, I need advice on which video card would most suffice.

Thank you everyone for your time!
Hopefully, your mobo isn't too old as to not have a pcie slot, as you'll have to pay up for an inferior agp card. If that's the case, I'd consider starting from scratch.

If you have a pcie slot, any gt210 card should do. I recently picked one up for $30 and it's handled all the blu-ray rips I've thrown at it without a hitch.

If it's a really old mobo, a 400mhz fsb might be a barrier, too. I'm not sure.
Thanks mr.sparkle for the advice. It does have a PCI-E slot, and I believe the FSB is either 533 or 800mhz (just by looking at the possible product specifications from hp). I was contemplating the GT210 this morning, but wanted to get other's opinions. Thank you again!
I just finished doing what you are talking about, with a very similar system (PIV, 3.0Ghz, 2GB Ram). My total cost was about $70 for a GeForce 210 card and a remote. If the rebate comes back on the video card I'll be down to around $45.

It works great. Lags a bit on the menus sometimes, but plays anything I have thrown at it.

This is the card I bought, still $50 with a $25 rebate:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewProduct...6814130541

I'm running Win7 with a recent SVN build for HW acceleration support. I suppose it would be a little quicker if I ran linux or XBMC Live, but I don't have the patience to fart around with it since I already know windoze.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Which video card for my build?0