Nokia N900 port - possible?
Hi there,

First off, thank you for your great efforts and even better app. The level of integration is amazing.

I was wondering if you would consider porting this to N900/Maemo/Meego.
From where I see it, the architecture of both Meego and Android should be similar (i.e. same CPU, both running on a flavour of Linux, etc.)

I am unfortunately not a coder but I am willing to contribute with testing or other ways - maybe building a bridge with the Maemo community?

Please consider this, if the amount of effort wouldn't be too much, of course...

Cheers,
J
the application is heavily integrated with the Android framework, you might be able to reuse the communication parts granted N900 uses java, which I'm not sure it uses? Long story short, its probably easier to redo it from scratch and I don't know anyone looking into that.

Getting testers is usually not that hard so if you want it to happen you need to hunt coders. I am sure the developers here will be helpful with any troubles regarding the communication parts but you need to hunt N900 developers.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Sorry topfs2 i only did a search for the n900 on the forum. this thread is clearly not in the right
forum thread. i did not notice that it was in the android part.

however the n900 is a really open phone so it can run many operating systems. it can run maemo (original), android , it's one of the dev phones for megoo and if you dont want a phone os it can run ubuntu for arm. this thread should be moved to feature suggestions or the regular dev thread.

topfs2 Wrote:the application is heavily integrated with the Android framework, you might be able to reuse the communication parts granted N900 uses java, which I'm not sure it uses? Long story short, its probably easier to redo it from scratch and I don't know anyone looking into that.

Getting testers is usually not that hard so if you want it to happen you need to hunt coders. I am sure the developers here will be helpful with any troubles regarding the communication parts but you need to hunt N900 developers.

The n900 as default uses maemo wich is a fork of debian. The default app installer is apt-get it runs ordinary xwindows with a gtk windowmanager which is optimized for phone use. the hardware is really similar to the beagleboard

n900 beaglebord
cpu OMAP 3430 OMAP3530
gpu PowerVR SGX 530 PowerVR SGX530
ram 256mb 256mb
mhz 600 720
dsp TMS320C64x TMS320C64x+

If xbmc can run under debian for beaglebord then it should not take much to compile that for maemo under the n900 or in worst case run debian under chroot on the n900 (there is already packages for that in the n900 repos)

If i had more time on my hands i would do it mabye i will get some spare time in a few months.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/Maem...stallation
that link is to the crosscompiler env if anyone wants to try to compile the beaglebord source
The thread starter asked about the android xbmc remote being ported. About porting xbmc to the meego platform is a completely different topic which should be in its own thread.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nokia N900 port - possible?0