Progress information while installing addon
Hi all,

the last days an progress information while downloading an addon (usefull for bigger addons) was added. is it possible to do the same thing with installing addons?

background:
i have created some very big addons addons (250-400MB) and it needs a very long time to unzip this addon. the system UI is very slow this time and it is not possible to see if the addon will be installed this time.

is it also possible to add support for *.tar.bz2/*.tar.gz/*.tar.xc addons for linux builds? if i use zip files all the permissions of executable scripts/bins will be lost after unpack.

thanks
greetings, Stephan

You can probably get the details in a similar way as we do for Downloading - effectively there's a (bunch) of jobs being run, and you need to transfer that information to the UI.

Does the Downloading indicator just stay at 100% while the unzipping occurs?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:You can probably get the details in a similar way as we do for Downloading - effectively there's a (bunch) of jobs being run, and you need to transfer that information to the UI.

hmm can anyone do this? (i am not an coder) :-)

jmarshall Wrote:Does the Downloading indicator just stay at 100% while the unzipping occurs?

no, it will be cleaned after downloading 100% so i dont see the status (only an very high disk activity and a very slow gui), sometimes the addons will be installed successfull, sometimes not - without an info/warning/error.

if you want you can try any installing an addon from http://addons.openelec.tv/0.90/intel/x86_64/ (they will not run on your system)
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:is it also possible to add support for *.tar.bz2/*.tar.gz/*.tar.xc addons for linux builds? if i use zip files all the permissions of executable scripts/bins will be lost after unpack.

certainly not worth it. and zip can store unix attribs just fine, that does not mean we reinstate them.
spiff Wrote:certainly not worth it. and zip can store unix attribs just fine, that does not mean we reinstate them.

i mean as an additional feature, not as an replacement.

the file attributes are stored in the zipfile and they are ok after unpacking with zip here locally, but they will be lost after unpacking while installing.
greetings, Stephan

... yes, exactly what i wrote. thus adding tar.bz2 / tar.gz offers absolutely nothing besides complicating the code.
spiff Wrote:... yes, exactly what i wrote. thus adding tar.bz2 / tar.gz offers absolutely nothing besides complicating the code.

but why it consumes so much cpu resources and needs so long to unzip? an "normal" unzip of an 290MB file needs on commandline about 10sec. with xbmc some minutes
greetings, Stephan

that i cannot answer. it's definitely not supposed to do that.
aha, i have an idea what might be causing it.
try
Code:
Index: xbmc/GUIWindowAddonBrowser.cpp
===================================================================
--- xbmc/GUIWindowAddonBrowser.cpp  (revision 30641)
+++ xbmc/GUIWindowAddonBrowser.cpp  (working copy)
@@ -383,6 +383,7 @@
     {
       CStdString archive;
       CUtil::CreateArchivePath(archive,"zip",package,"");
+      package += "?cache=no";
       list.Add(CFileItemPtr(new CFileItem(archive,true)));
       dest = "special://home/addons/";
     }

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Progress information while installing addon0