• 45(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
Well crap, I thought sure that the one I bought was used by plenty of people and was working. I may try the ORtek and see if I can get enough functionality out of it to make me happy.
Hi folks,
New guy here.
Ordered this IR receiver on Ebay before I found this excellent thread:

SMK Media Center USB RC6 IR XP VISTA Win7 Remote Control Receiver

Anyone have experience with this IR, good or bad?

I'm in the process of building my HTPC so don't have XMBC up and running yet.
I have a Harmony 520 remote.

Thanks!
I've never used that receiver, but it looks as if it's eHome compatible. Connect it up to your PC and see if it's using the eHome drive (see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how to tell). If it's using the eHome driver configure your 520 to emulate an MCE keyboard. You'll probably have to fiddle with the inter key delay to get a reasonable response time.

JR
JR, thanks for the info.
I am interested in users opinions on buying a Harmony One specifically to control XBMC.

I have read about issues with setup time, lag and multiple presses. I would also buy the HP reciever within the recommended P/N range in the hope of minimising headaches.

So, would you buy one or go for something simple like a PS3 BD remote?

I have other devices that it would be nice to control obviously, amp, satellite receiver, TV, DVD etc but it's really XBMC thats driving this so it needs to be reliable if I am to spend £100 on it.
schooleydoo Wrote:I am interested in users opinions on buying a Harmony One specifically to control XBMC.

I have read about issues with setup time, lag and multiple presses. I would also buy the HP reciever within the recommended P/N range in the hope of minimising headaches.

So, would you buy one or go for something simple like a PS3 BD remote?

I have other devices that it would be nice to control obviously, amp, satellite receiver, TV, DVD etc but it's really XBMC thats driving this so it needs to be reliable if I am to spend £100 on it.

Why a £100 you can get the "Harmony 600" that does exactly the same as any of the more expensive ones apart from you only get 5 devices, you can get them now for £30 I just got one and it works great

You don't have to add both the MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard as a device if your short on device slots I just used MCE Keyboard as there's loads of extra keys you can use to do anything you like which can be added to the screen on the 600

Also not much point adding devices that only have a few buttons that ever get used you can just program the harmony with the original remote and add them to an existing device
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Hey guys,
I think you can help me with this one:

I've got an IR receiver (I think it's from Philips) and it's kind of working.
The problem with it is: my plasma screen seems to be sending lots of infrared signals which my IR receiver seems to be receiving Big Grin

Long story short: I'm looking for a receiver that's got some kind of "filter" in it to only receive the signals that I'm sending with my Harmony One.

I'd be very happy if anyone could recommend me a model that "ignores" plasma signals.
Thanks
>>X<<' Wrote:Why a £100 you can get the "Harmony 600" that does exactly the same as any of the more expensive ones apart from you only get 5 devices, you can get them now for £30 I just got one and it works great

You don't have to add both the MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard as a device if your short on device slots I just used MCE Keyboard as there's loads of extra keys you can use to do anything you like which can be added to the screen on the 600

Also not much point adding devices that only have a few buttons that ever get used you can just program the harmony with the original remote and add them to an existing device

I concur with >>X<<. Get either the Harmony 700 (color LCD) or the Harmony 600. No problem, no lag.
bodhi Wrote:No problem, no lag.

No lag at all? Please try to press [Down] rapidly on your remote in any XBMC list menu... The menu will scroll down although you stop pressing a second ago.
Or not? Is there really no noticeable IR code queuing with H. 600 and 700?

thanks bodhi
My silent AMD Zacate HTPC on MSI E350IA-E45, 16W@46°C when idle, 27sec cold boot
I would recommend the One. Smile
Great device. A few days ago it was £74 at Amazon - it's 'only' £84 now.
babca Wrote:No lag at all? Please try to press [Down] rapidly on your remote in any XBMC list menu... The menu will scroll down although you stop pressing a second ago.
Or not? Is there really no noticeable IR code queuing with H. 600 and 700?

thanks bodhi

Not on my H 700 and 360. Pressing down, the list go down and stop when released.

But I think the better test is to go left/right or up/down (depending on horizontal/vertical home) on the home menu. It does not matter how long I press, the menu stops scrolling immediately when I release the button.
bodhi: I meant multiple presses right next to each other, not just "press and hold" which works ok. For example, if I press [Down] 10 times in quick succession the cursor on screen will continue to move down for a second after last press on the remote.

When I point the Harmony to my camera (iPhone), it is visible that my Harmony sends IR codes after I stop pressing.

I'm curious because I have Harmony 650 right now and I wonder if it is worth to switch to 700...
My silent AMD Zacate HTPC on MSI E350IA-E45, 16W@46°C when idle, 27sec cold boot
babca Wrote:bodhi: I meant multiple presses right next to each other, not just "press and hold" which works ok. For example, if I press [Down] 10 times in quick succession the cursor on screen will continue to move down for a second after last press on the remote.

When I point the Harmony to my camera (iPhone), it is visible that my Harmony sends IR codes after I stop pressing.

I'm curious because I have Harmony 650 right now and I wonder if it is worth to switch to 700...

I'm pretty sure they all use the same technology have you even tried changing the Inter-Device Delay because thats the setting that effects this I would expect the 650 is set to 0.5sec by default you can lower this to 0sec

http://logitech-en-emea.custhelp.com/app...QWt0UGs%3D
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Great write up and thanks for the great info.

One issue thus far.. I'm having problems with my XBOX turning on/off when I hit the powertoggle on my harmony one. I know I can disable this powertoggle all together BUT i prefer to keep my XBMC (PC) in suspend mode when not being used.

I want to prevent the harmony one from communicating with the XBOX when i'm using my XBMC.. how can I do that.

Some background info:
Harmony One remote
Microsoft OVU4003 IR and using the Harmony One as MCE Keyboard

Thanks in advance for the assistance Smile
Any advise regarding the plasma tv problem? Specifically Samsung plasma?
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13