• 17(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
bodhi Wrote:That's what it is. Extension of the signal that the receiver received. Usually you'd stick it to the Ir sensor of a hard-to-reach A/V receiver, DVD,... that is hidden inside cabinet or in other room. No need to use it if you don't have the problem.

That's not exactly what it is. What it is, is an "IR blaster", and can be used to control a satellite box, when configured appropriately. Usually, you tape the IR emitter (most of which have a 'passthrough' ability) to the front of your satellite box's input, so it can send the signal to it. For example, you are using your remote to control your PC, and you bring up your PVR software. You tell it you want to record "The Big Bang Theory" which is on channel 250 at 9:30 p.m. It records this in the PVR software's database, and at 9:30, it sends a signal through the IR emitter to wake the satellite, change to channel 250, and start recording.

It's a handy little item, with the right software and configuration.
DurhamDev Wrote:That's not exactly what it is. What it is, is an "IR blaster", and can be used to control a satellite box, when configured appropriately. Usually, you tape the IR emitter (most of which have a 'passthrough' ability) to the front of your satellite box's input, so it can send the signal to it. For example, you are using your remote to control your PC, and you bring up your PVR software. You tell it you want to record "The Big Bang Theory" which is on channel 250 at 9:30 p.m. It records this in the PVR software's database, and at 9:30, it sends a signal through the IR emitter to wake the satellite, change to channel 250, and start recording.

It's a handy little item, with the right software and configuration.

Rigth! that's the most typical usage for an IR emitter in HTPC PVRs. But it's not limited to it.
I think I might have figured out my own answer. Someone in this thread or another thread mentioned adding the device as Windows Media Center SE.

According to the logitech support thread, that should solve my problem. I'll try it tonight and report back.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...426/page/1
Great post vanOert.
Based on your tutorial I set up my remote as device only (MCE keyboard and renamed XBMC), not as an activity and then copied the keys over from the wiki. So I just select XBMC from the devices window on the remote.
Also added custom keys for things like change subtitles, etc'.
Working perfectly!! Cheers.
So why isn't there a logitech approved device listing that includes all of the commands from the Windows Media Center SE, the Microsoft WMC Keyboard and the Microsoft WMC Remote?

I know I can make an activity that uses all three devices but with the recent changes in the Logitech Harmony line (whereby the total number of devices supported by the remote has been neutered on all but the highest ends versions of the harmony, I'm reluctant to use up three of the 6 devices total that my remote supports (Harmony 700)

This is really annoying as my old (and now broken) Logitech 620 supported 12 remotes. Why doesn't the SE version have the regular keyboard keys in addition to the multikeypress keys.

Is there another device in the logitech database which has all of these functions in one?
I have a Harmony 525 remote and I really need some help.

I want to mapp one key to add files/folder to a playlist and another key to clean the playlist.

The 525 remote got 4 extra buttons but i cant figure out anyway to mapp any functions to them.
tubby Wrote:So why isn't there a logitech approved device listing that includes all of the commands from the Windows Media Center SE, the Microsoft WMC Keyboard and the Microsoft WMC Remote?

I know I can make an activity that uses all three devices but with the recent changes in the Logitech Harmony line (whereby the total number of devices supported by the remote has been neutered on all but the highest ends versions of the harmony, I'm reluctant to use up three of the 6 devices total that my remote supports (Harmony 700)

This is really annoying as my old (and now broken) Logitech 620 supported 12 remotes. Why doesn't the SE version have the regular keyboard keys in addition to the multikeypress keys.

Is there another device in the logitech database which has all of these functions in one?

There is no Harmony device that has all these functions. So combining the MCE Keyboard and MCE SE is the only way right now.

Even though the Harmony 700 only supports 6 devices, when you updated the 620 account to the 700, all your existing 12 devices (if you had 12) should have been transferred as they are. Many users have done this. The only caveat is when you delete a device, its slot will be gone. This is controlled by Harmony software, and it only prevents users to add new device when the maximum has been reached.

So the best thing for any Harmony remote user to do is using the maximum number of devices that it allows. Add your lamp, fan, VCR,... any thing Laugh to make use of all devices. When you buy a new remote, you can buy a new Harmony remote that has less number of devices and then replace the remote using your existing account.
zpike1 Wrote:I have a Harmony 525 remote and I really need some help.

I want to mapp one key to add files/folder to a playlist and another key to clean the playlist.

The 525 remote got 4 extra buttons but i cant figure out anyway to mapp any functions to them.

- Choose 4 keyboard keys that are not used by XBMC currently. For example: H, J, ...

- Program the 525 four buttons to those 4 keys. Using either the MCE Keyboard device, or the MCE SE device.

- Modify the keyboard.xml to invoke the playlist action using those keys.

I don't use playlist so don't know which action should be specified in the keyboard.xml. But it should be possible to do this.
bodhi Wrote:- Choose 4 keyboard keys that are not used by XBMC currently. For example: H, J, ...

- Program the 525 four buttons to those 4 keys. Using either the MCE Keyboard device, or the MCE SE device.

- Modify the keyboard.xml to invoke the playlist action using those keys.

I don't use playlist so don't know which action should be specified in the keyboard.xml. But it should be possible to do this.

Thanks for the help. But where and what should I add to the keyboard.xml.
Im pretty new at all this so all help would be greatfull
zpike1 Wrote:Thanks for the help. But where and what should I add to the keyboard.xml.
Im pretty new at all this so all help would be greatfull

I've described this previously in the thread: this post

Basic idea is: create a keyboard.xml file with only the keys that you need. Define each key with a XBMC action (which could be a predefined action or a window activation command).

You can find the action in the Wiki here. The action to delete current item is "delete".

Here is the list of built in functions. The clear PlayList action is "Playlist.Clear".

Here is the keyboard mapping. Note that there are many keys not used by XBMC, and you can add them to your own keyboard.xml file.

In the post above, the AudioNextLanguage action was mapped to the key "h".
Hey guys, regarding the HP remote & IR in this thread.

Is there any software that works with it when you don't use the logitech. I want to customize how the buttons work.
Hi!

I have a couple of questions regarding the different librarys like "Movie" "Pictures" "Music" and "TV Show".

I am using a Harmony One remote but the same questions applies to my Asrock remote.

Only problem is regarding my media librarys

Music + Pictures + Movies works perfectly

BUT I can not access my tv show library - the button assigned for this takes me nowhere.

On my Harmony controller I have tried adding the "MyTV" button for this. Also I have tried all buttons on my Asrock remote.

Is there anyway to add this for me? I want a button to access my "TV library".

Also I wonder if there is a button that would take me to the MAIN menu of XBMC so that I won't have to go "back" all the way.

PS: I think I need a detailed description on how to get it to work Smile
Anyone help me configur my Mini dnovo keyboard? Just got it brand new to use with XMBC, Do i configure it in XMBC or do i download software for the keyboard and use that Huh
johnny87au Wrote:Anyone help me configur my Mini dnovo keyboard? Just got it brand new to use with XBMC, Do i configure it in XBMC or do i download software for the keyboard and use that Huh

I just plugged my diNovo in and started using it. You shouldn't need to configure anything, it's just a keyboard with a trackpad, so it works just like using a standard mouse/kb.
Sheezwack Wrote:I just plugged my diNovo in and started using it. You shouldn't need to configure anything, it's just a keyboard with a trackpad, so it works just like using a standard mouse/kb.

Thanks, Any tips and tricks i should know using the keyboard?? Like any hotkeys i need to know when using XMBC? Like hotkeys to turn off subs, exit movie or anything ? kinda new so i wanna know every key which does something in XMBC Smile
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13