• 19(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
bodhi Wrote:During setting up the XBMC activity, I responded to the Harmony questions to include these 5 devices. And also added a command to the Startup part of the XBMC activity: Win+3 (this command is from the device MCE SE keyboard). So whenever the XBMC activity run, it will toggle the HTPC out of sleep mode, turn on Receiver, turn on the TV, and set the inputs of the TV and Receiver to the correct setting, and execute WIn+3.

Which remote are you using? Neither my 510 or my 520 seem to have the ability to set this... When I try to modify the existing info for the MCE keyboard, I see Adjust Inputs, Adjust Power Settings, Adjust the Delays, Customize Buttons, Rename this Device, Confirm infrared commands, learn infrared commands, re-do the setup for this device, advanced setup for this device, troubleshoot, and setup this device based on a similar device.

I can't find it. If it works for you, I'd love to set mine up the same!

Edit: Hold up. I might have it... Updates to come!
yankz23 Wrote:thanks for the reply.
unfortunately i cannot put my pc in sleep mode as its my media server in the house for everyone so it needs to stay on. i also use it as my main pc to watch my movies.
thanks again

You don't have to put your PC into sleep mode at all. (Don't do this step : "And I went into Win 7 power management to define the Power button as a Sleep toggle".

For the MCE Keyboard, MCE Remote (if you use this), and MCE SE keyboard devices, set the Power option in the Harmony remote as "Always On" (basically you would turn your HTPC on manually and leave it on all the time). The rest is exactly like I've described above.
bodhi Wrote:You don't have to put your PC into sleep mode at all. (Don't do this step : "And I went into Win 7 power management to define the Power button as a Sleep toggle".

For the MCE Keyboard, MCE Remote (if you use this), and MCE SE keyboard devices, set the Power option in the Harmony remote as "Always On" (basically you would turn your HTPC on manually and leave it on all the time). The rest is exactly like I've described above.

ill have to take a look at this tomorrow night. my brain is a little fried now. not sure im getting what you said entirely.
i appreciate your help.
hopefully ill get it tomorrow.
Thumbs Up 
bodhi Wrote:You don't have to put your PC into sleep mode at all. (Don't do this step : "And I went into Win 7 power management to define the Power button as a Sleep toggle".

i figured it out but not exactly the way you said but you pointed me in the right direction.
i couldnt find the win key as a command in harmony setup so i did it a different way.
a couple of yrs ago b4 i knew of this thread and b4 i got the harmony i had this generic media center remote so i did some research so i can get it to do what i wanted.
i eventually changed what the button commands do within windows itself.
i remapped the windows green button for media center so it would work with ctrl+alt+m to start xbmc. i also remapped the red button for 's' to shutdown xbmc.
i wasnt aware that within the power settings in harmony that you could assign keystrokes or anything like that.
in the end all i did was set my old remapped commands to start xbmc thru the green button and shutdown to the red+enter.
works like a charm for me.
thanks for inadvertently pointing me in the right direction.
i appreciate the help.
once again, many thanks for your time.
yankz23 Wrote:i figured it out but not exactly the way you said but you pointed me in the right direction.
i couldnt find the win key as a command in harmony setup so i did it a different way.
a couple of yrs ago b4 i knew of this thread and b4 i got the harmony i had this generic media center remote so i did some research so i can get it to do what i wanted.
i eventually changed what the button commands do within windows itself.
i remapped the windows green button for media center so it would work with ctrl+alt+m to start xbmc. i also remapped the red button for 's' to shutdown xbmc.
i wasnt aware that within the power settings in harmony that you could assign keystrokes or anything like that.
in the end all i did was set my old remapped commands to start xbmc thru the green button and shutdown to the red+enter.
works like a charm for me.
thanks for inadvertently pointing me in the right direction.
i appreciate the help.
once again, many thanks for your time.

Hey, there's many ways to skin the same cat Laugh glad you got it working the way you like.
DurhamDev Wrote:Edit: Hold up. I might have it... Updates to come!

bodhi Wrote:For the MCE Keyboard, MCE Remote (if you use this), and MCE SE keyboard devices, set the Power option in the Harmony remote as "Always On" (basically you would turn your HTPC on manually and leave it on all the time). The rest is exactly like I've described above.

Ok, I went into the Power Options, and configured the power button as "I have one button for on, and one for off". I then chose "multiple button presses" for how the on button functions, and chose "Esc" (to wake the system) and "F2" (which is my 'run XBMC' button) and it seems to work. My only challenge now, is with the "off" button. It only gives you three 'custom commands' to run, and I can't get it to press "S" (for settings) and four "cursor down" and one "Enter" to exit XBMC.

Any ideas?
DurhamDev Wrote:Ok, I went into the Power Options, and configured the power button as "I have one button for on, and one for off". I then chose "multiple button presses" for how the on button functions, and chose "Esc" (to wake the system) and "F2" (which is my 'run XBMC' button) and it seems to work. My only challenge now, is with the "off" button. It only gives you three 'custom commands' to run, and I can't get it to press "S" (for settings) and four "cursor down" and one "Enter" to exit XBMC.

Any ideas?

You can use Alt-F4 from the MCE SE device.
bodhi Wrote:You can use Alt-F4 from the MCE SE device.

When I do the 'multiple keypress' option, I am provided three fields, one after the other. Do you mean that I select "Alt" for the first and "F4" for the second? I have noted that there is no 'strict' "Alt-F4" command in the drop down selection. Is this the way I get around that?
DurhamDev Wrote:When I do the 'multiple keypress' option, I am provided three fields, one after the other. Do you mean that I select "Alt" for the first and "F4" for the second? I have noted that there is no 'strict' "Alt-F4" command in the drop down selection. Is this the way I get around that?

Sounds like you're adding it to the MCE Keyboard in Device mode, not Activity mode. Of course it will work, in device mode too. But the device that has Alt-F4 is MCE SE keyboard (not the MCE keyboard).

However, commands that are executed during start activity and exit activity should be added to the XBMC activity. You can select XBMC activity, and review the settings, and go through the steps in setting up activity again, there is a step where it will allow you to add a command to the starting part of the activity, and there is a step that does the same for the exiting part of the activity. That's when you can select the MCE SE device command to add to the activity. The pulldown for this MCE SE device should include all the Win+n keys, and the Alt+F4 key.

One important note is with Harmony remote, most customization is done in Activity mode. Device mode is almost never needed, except in very rare circumtances. Once you've added the device, extremely rare that you will ever have a need to visit the setting for the device again.

I will check back this evening PST. If needed I will get some screenshots.
Torroa Wrote:I have chosen to go to channel "toggle power on/off" when I start the activity which include XBMC. That way the remote sends the command two times.

Also, I am only using the "Windows Media Center SE" and not the MCE Keyboard as device. This profile has discrete power on and off, but it does not work with my cheap HP receiver from Honk Kong. The Logitech software chooses "One button for ON and another for OFF" as default, and I have to to manually change it to "this device has one button for ON and OFF."

The "Windows Media Center SE" profile has the big advantage of being a lot more responsive and handles rapid input commands in series much better. My IR receiver was also very picky on the signals when I tried the MCE Keyboard profile. Now I can point the remote in any direction and the right commands are still picked up.

Going by your post, it sounds like it is possible to map a Command of "FastForward" to the Fast Forward button on the remote and have it perform the same way as mapping "F" to Fast Forward when using the MCE keyboard as the device.

Can you post a screen shot of your customized key mappings in the Harmony set up software using the Windows Media Center SE keyboard? I'm very curious to try this out and seeing what you have will be a big help.
I have a general question on button mapping, specifically I am trying to get the controls in XBMC to work similarly to how Windows Media Center remotes work (currently migrating away from WMC to XBMC and this will help a lot with the WAF).

I was very impressed that I can now fast forward and rewind in the video player in XBMC, but is there a particular key I can map to the Harmony for the |< and >| buttons to make the video jump ahead and jump back a few seconds (how they behaved in WMC). In looking over the Global Keyboard settings for XBMC I am using the Period and Comma, but I'm not certain this will achieve the same effect.

Also, what button can I use on the "Back" button (arrow button). In MCE the back button took you one step back from where you were. Is this the same as using Backspace in XBMC?

Thanks for any clarification anyone can give.

One more thing I just thought of - in MCE you could press the play button on the remote and see the progress of the video playing (how long the video was, how far along you were and the time of day in the upper corner). I found this to be very useful and was wondering if it could be reproduced in XBMC. I may be out of luck with the time of day displaying, but is there a way to get the status of the video length/how much has played when pushing the play button?
Ah, damn. Meant to edit my post on why I wanted to use the SE Keyboard, not create a new entry entireally. My bad.

I'm interested in using the SE keyboard type because from what I have read it may better support the power on/off options that I want to use to wake up/ put the PC to sleep. I haven't had an opportunity to test out my settings as of right now just using the MCE Keyboard so I'm not sure on what will happen with my current set up.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Now how do I set up the additional buttons? I figure

Movies TV
Music Picutres

Smile
hick Wrote:AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Now how do I set up the additional buttons? I figure

Movies TV
Music Picutres

Smile

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap.xml#Actions

Refer to your keymap XML, map some keys to:

XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos) Go to My Videos.
XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic) Go to My Music.
XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures) Go to My Pictures.

Then map those keys in your harmony config.
katy: Silverstone LC19/AMD Zacate E350/4GB/7.5TB/Win 7 Pro 64/24/7/Shade (custom)
ATV2/iOS 4.2.1/Alaska Revisited Mod
vanOert Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Keymap.xml#Actions

Refer to your keymap XML, map some keys to:

XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyVideos) Go to My Videos.
XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyMusic) Go to My Music.
XBMC.ActivateWindow(MyPictures) Go to My Pictures.

Then map those keys in your harmony config.
I am running 10.0 if it helps.
I do not see how to go dirrectly to Movies or TV though, I do not want to go to the base videos.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13