• 25(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
i'm missing some keys

if the keyboard comes up i cant go to the keypad , it stays in the input display
if a exit a movie to the menu and it keeps playing i cant go back to the movie itself

any1 an idea ?
thx
StefanM Wrote:UPDATE: What I have done. Whenever possible I have used MCE remote, mapping all functions and it is now working. But still I cannot use keystrokes, to for instance start (win+1) and shut down xbmc (alt+f4)... WTF, do any of you guys have an idea, what I am doing wrong?

FWIW, here is what i discovered about Harmony remotes. They will not send combination keystrokes (like alt + f4). Sending these commands from the keyboard requires holding down the first keystroke while pressing the next key (or sequence of keys). The Harmony will send singular commands only, not stacked commands. While it will send a sequence of commands, it will not send 2 at the same time.
I've read here and there about Harmony remotes having a "flag" for a "press and hold command", such as holding down the volume, or channel, but this just sends the same command repeatedly.

While i could be mistaken about my info, this is what i've come to find from my personal experience. The only way i could get around some of the same problems that you are having is by installing and setting up Event Ghost. All problems were solved. Big Grin
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
thrak76 Wrote:FWIW, here is what i discovered about Harmony remotes. They will not send combination keystrokes (like alt + f4). Sending these commands from the keyboard requires holding down the first keystroke while pressing the next key (or sequence of keys). The Harmony will send singular commands only, not stacked commands. While it will send a sequence of commands, it will not send 2 at the same time.
I've read here and there about Harmony remotes having a "flag" for a "press and hold command", such as holding down the volume, or channel, but this just sends the same command repeatedly.

While i could be mistaken about my info, this is what i've come to find from my personal experience. The only way i could get around some of the same problems that you are having is by installing and setting up Event Ghost. All problems were solved. Big Grin

I think you got the wrong info. Harmony remote sends remote signals for keyboard for any key, even key combo such as Alt-F4, Control-M,... so on.

When you press a key on your IR keyboard, whether it's a single letter, or a modified key such as Alt-F4, there is only one code that is transmitted. That code needs to be stored in Harmony database, and there are several key combo codes in the Harmony device MCE SE keyboard. If the code is not in the database, then obviously we can't send it. That's when you'll need to use a hot-key program, or program such as Evenghost.
StefanM Wrote:I am really lost, in why my setup is not working. I have followed the new quide, in every way, but still xbmc and win7 will not accept keystrokes when using an activity. For instance I have setup Start XBMC as in the new guide, but nothing is happening. I have set button "ok" to enter, but nothing is happening. But if I jump to devices and XBMC (sw) all of my presses will not be registred correct.

It is as if my keymaps are not registrering untill I go to devices... What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: What I have done. Whenever possible I have used MCE remote, mapping all functions and it is now working. But still I cannot use keystrokes, to for instance start (win+1) and shut down xbmc (alt+f4)... WTF, do any of you guys have an idea, what I am doing wrong?

It sounds like you have not set up the keys in your XBMC activity. After you've added the device MCE Keyboard or MCE Remote, they are available only in device mode. To make them available in XBMC activity, you will need to set them up inside XBMC activity setup screen to make them available in activity. Once you added devices, you'll rarely have a need to go back to device mode, because when you set up activity, you would bring in all the keys that you need from various devices for that activity.

And to get key combos such as Win+1, or others, you'll need the device MCE SE keyboard.
bodhi Wrote:I think you got the wrong info. Harmony remote sends remote signals for keyboard for any key, even key combo such as Alt-F4, Control-M,... so on.

When you press a key on your IR keyboard, whether it's a single letter, or a modified key such as Alt-F4, there is only one code that is transmitted. That code needs to be stored in Harmony database, and there are several key combo codes in the Harmony device MCE Keyboard, and MCE SE keyboard. If the code is not in the database, then obviously we can't send it. That's when you'll need to use a hot-key program, or program such as Evenghost.

Cool. I actually have the MCE keyboard set as one of my devices, but i don't actually own a MCE keyboard. I'll have to dig a little deeper. I'm wondering if there is a list of the codes somewhere besides within the Harmony software? The pulldown list for the keystrokes doesn't list combination keys...
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
thrak76 Wrote:Cool. I actually have the MCE keyboard set as one of my devices, but i don't actually own a MCE keyboard. I'll have to dig a little deeper. I'm wondering if there is a list of the codes somewhere besides within the Harmony software? The pulldown list for the keystrokes doesn't list combination keys...

The MCE SE keyboard device's pulldown list will give you many combo keys. The MCE Keyboard device does not have combo keys, only function keys like F6, F7,... These are 2 different devices.

I'm sure we can find these codes at Remote Central and Hifi-Remote. If I have a need for a special key that's not in the Harmony database, I'm sure I can find it and program it to a different universal learning remote and teach that key to the Harmony. Perhaps, if I can find spare time, I will do that and upload to Harmony database.

Update: I see now. I mistyped the device name in previous post. Sorry about that.
I almost have everything running with my Harmony 900.

Couple issues. I generally leave my pc in sleep mode. Can I bring it out of this with remote? I cannot figure this one out.

Also if I get that far I am running Win7. There is that stupid used logon icon that you have to click on to get to the desktop (which doesn't even make sense as there is only one profile on the computer!)... I know there is a way to disable this but I can't remember how I did it... what are you doing to get around this?

Thanks!
huttdes Wrote:I almost have everything running with my Harmony 900.

Couple issues. I generally leave my pc in sleep mode. Can I bring it out of this with remote? I cannot figure this one out.

Also if I get that far I am running Win7. There is that stupid used logon icon that you have to click on to get to the desktop (which doesn't even make sense as there is only one profile on the computer!)... I know there is a way to disable this but I can't remember how I did it... what are you doing to get around this?

Thanks!

Sounds like you want to auto login?

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/h...dows-7.htm
huttdes Wrote:I almost have everything running with my Harmony 900.

Thanks!

Quite simple. Set your Power button to Sleep in Win 7 power management. Set Harmony remote MCE Keyboard device (or MCE SE device) to have "one button to power on and off". So when you start activity it will wake up the WIn 7 HTPC. And when you power down the whole system using the Harmony power button, it will put Win 7 HTPC to sleep.
vanOert Wrote:Believe it or not, I actually use my CD player exclusively to do that. Mainly because it doesn't do anything else really. ;-)

Also, we don't have slingplayers or directv in germany. Rolleyes
Actually, I live in Stuttgart and use SlingPlayer (it's just software) to connect to a SlingBox in the US, which streams DirecTV to me here in Germany Rolleyes
Thanks likelinus and bodhi. Everything working great!!
bodhi Wrote:Quite simple. Set your Power button to Sleep in Win 7 power management. Set Harmony remote MCE Keyboard device (or MCE SE device) to have "one button to power on and off". So when you start activity it will wake up the WIn 7 HTPC. And when you power down the whole system using the Harmony power button, it will put Win 7 HTPC to sleep.

Thanks for posting this. i have not gotten around yet to updating the official guide, and testing out the sleep features. I just finished the Hulu/XBMC switching scripts.

Thanks for all your other posts as well. Work has had me tied down lately, so my time to update the guide has been limited.
sufreak Wrote:Thanks for posting this. i have not gotten around yet to updating the official guide, and testing out the sleep features. I just finished the Hulu/XBMC switching scripts.

Thanks for all your other posts as well. Work has had me tied down lately, so my time to update the guide has been limited.

I'm glad I can help, pitching in while you guys are busyCool
Could anyone tell me how to create a button to play a film using the cinema experience mod rather than just playing normally?

I know you can press i and then select cinema mode, but I'm sure there's probably a slicker way using a remote!
First of all this is a very usefull thread! Thanks for all the information!

the following is directed at all the Dutch members!

Getting the settings for my Harmony One right was easy when following the instructions, however, it seems that getting a good and cheap IR receiver that works isn't that easy. If you are still looking for one you can find a nice looking, good working cheap DELL IR receiver if you follow this link

http://computer-software.marktplaats.nl/...enter.html

Hope it helps some people with setting up their XBMC media centers!!
  • 25(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13