• 28(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
likelinus Wrote:...All of that said, there is a post on the logitech forum that says the remote's chipset can only do 300ms and that is why Logitech has not responded to the problem...

Do you still have the link to that post? perhaps we can all go there and bring up this issue again.
bodhi Wrote:Do you still have the link to that post? perhaps we can all go there and bring up this issue again.

I included it in my first post on this subject. Check post #396. Sorry on my phone so hard to go get link and post again. Also, that's just one link. There are more on logitech site.
Another question...any way to restart windows from the Harmony 880? When I try to choose restart from xbmc, all that happens is xbmc closes, but windows does not restart.
primetime34 Wrote:Another question...any way to restart windows from the Harmony 880? When I try to choose restart from xbmc, all that happens is xbmc closes, but windows does not restart.

Right, when you restart XBMC, Windows is not involved.

I usually put Win 7 to sleep by setting the Power option in Win 7 to go to sleep when the power button is pressed. The Harmony Power off button would shutdown the whole system, and that cause Win 7 to go to sleep. And later, the XBMC activity will send a power toggle, and wake Win 7 up. It's all part of the XBMC activity startup and exit sequence.
Map a button to ALT+F4. That is the close window button. It will first close XBMC to the desktop. Hit it again and it will bring up the "Shut Down Windows" box. You can then select restart using your up and down buttons and then hit ok.

You should be able to tab down to the OK button by using "TAB" which is Full Screen in XBMC.
bodhi Wrote:Right, when you restart XBMC, Windows is not involved.

I usually put Win 7 to sleep by setting the Power option in Win 7 to go to sleep when the power button is pressed. The Harmony Power off button would shutdown the whole system, and that cause Win 7 to go to sleep. And later, the XBMC activity will send a power toggle, and wake Win 7 up. It's all part of the XBMC activity startup and exit sequence.

likelinus Wrote:Map a button to ALT+F4. That is the close window button. It will first close XBMC to the desktop. Hit it again and it will bring up the "Shut Down Windows" box. You can then select restart using your up and down buttons and then hit ok.

You should be able to tab down to the OK button by using "TAB" which is Full Screen in XBMC.

Both great ideas. I like the idea of it going to sleep sometimes but restarting other times. I'll play with those options tonight. Thanks.
likelinus Wrote:What IR do you have then?? I'll be GLAD to buy it and try it out.

That's exactly the setup I have. I have a Denon 791, a 50" Panny and a DTV box. As noted my DTV box and Denon exhibit the same issues. They both have built in IR. So you're either telling me that the IR in all 3 units are bad, or the remote itself is the problem.

I also have the IR receiver from my other remote and it has the same issue with the Harmony remote. I got the HP IR because I thought the issue resided with the IR itself.

All of that said, there is a post on the logitech forum that says the remote's chipset can only do 300ms and that is why Logitech has not responded to the problem. It's gone on since 2008. It's a flawed design. That means that ALL Harmony One remotes exhibit this problem with XBMC. That's why I believe people who do not see the problem have probably never used a remote that works correctly. I could be wrong, but it seems the majority of people see it and it's obviously a problem. Look at all the threads about the delay and latency issues!

I won't be able to tell what IR receiver I have because I don't know. My case (MS-TECH MC-1200) came with one.

my point was to say that the logitech cannot be blamed for lag, although many people seem to think so.

if you want to change your IR, get a HP one.

It's good for 2 reasons:
it works and there is no lag.
It supports keyboard inputs.No need to setup evenghost or any software. Just need to add 2 devices in the harmony software (MCE Remote and MCE keyboard). with keyboard simulation you can control XBMC much much much better.

There is a post somewhere here that explain how to setup the whole thing but I forgot to save it and I can't find it anymore.
primetime34 Wrote:I have a set of Bose speakers hooked up to my HTPC, so I assume that is the problem. Anyway to change that, that anybody knows, I would be extremely grateful.

Have you tried different settings on the System-->System-->Audio menu? it might help playing with different speakers configuration, Boost volume on down mix,... all those parameters are supposed to help XBMC to output correct volume level (I have not tried that, because my HTPC output is HDMI).
hatbrox Wrote:I won't be able to tell what IR receiver I have because I don't know. My case (MS-TECH MC-1200) came with one.

my point was to say that the logitech cannot be blamed for lag, although many people seem to think so.

It's good for 2 reasons:
It supports keyboard inputs.No need to setup evenghost or any software. Just need to add 2 devices in the harmony software (MCE Remote and MCE keyboard). with keyboard simulation you can control XBMC much much much better.

There is a post somewhere here that explain how to setup the whole thing but I forgot to save it and I can't find it anymore.

If the lag problem is there for all three components: IR receiver, DTV box, and Denon receiver then it's the Harmony remote problem (software or hardware).

FWIW, this is the IR receiver I use: Philips OVU4003/00, this is the OEM for other vendors such as Dell. You can find this receiver on eBay. There are quite a few on sales now.
hatbrox Wrote:I won't be able to tell what IR receiver I have because I don't know. My case (MS-TECH MC-1200) came with one.

It's good for 2 reasons:

Sorry, but you apparently haven't actually read what I wrote.

1. I have TWO HP IR units.
2. Logitech has all but admitted the lowest the Harmony One remote can do is 300ms. Support has told end users this on several occations. The chipset used in the remote is not able to do anything quicker. The reason some people might not notice it is they are not doing a side by side test and seeing the different.
3. I do not use eventghost or any other software. I followed the guide on XBMC (which is this that you are post in, by the way).

Regardless what you may think or feel, there are hundreds of post on this topic and it's obvious that there is an issue.
bodhi Wrote:If the lag problem is there for all three components: IR receiver, DTV box, and Denon receiver then it's the Harmony remote problem (software or hardware).

FWIW, this is the IR receiver I use: Philips OVU4003/00, this is the OEM for other vendors such as Dell. You can find this receiver on eBay. There are quite a few on sales now.

I have a Denon Receiver too (2311) and have no problem at all.

my friend bought the harmony one on my advice and he has a pioneer amp and a B&O TV and the remote is fine. He has used the original remotes for a few years now, and after moving to the harmony, he didn't notice any difference in terms of lag or responsiveness.

I'm very happy with the remote and it's snappy, what else can I say? Maybe I'm just lucky.
hatbrox Wrote:I have a Denon Receiver too (2311) and have no problem at all.

my friend bought the harmony one on my advice and he has a pioneer amp and a B&O TV and the remote is fine. He has used the original remotes for a few years now, and after moving to the harmony, he didn't notice any difference in terms of lag or responsiveness.

I'm very happy with the remote and it's snappy, what else can I say? Maybe I'm just lucky.

I know, it's a great remote when it works. I think the problem is real with SOME Harmony remotes. My Harmony 360 is almost as fast as the OEM remotes. There could be a bug in the firmware that only the unlucky users experience it in their HT setups. Logitech would never admit it. My opinion is if you don't care whether the LCD is color or monochrome, then buy older refurbished models because they are much better than the new ones. You can buy 3 refurbished Harmony 360s for the price of 1 Harmony One.
Hello everyone,

I've spent more than 4 hours trying to configure the jumpsms feature with my Harmony One. I copied the keyboard.xml file located in XBMC -> System-> keymaps to XBMC-> userdata and I edited it like this:

<MyVideoLibrary>
<keyboard>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
<delete>Delete</delete>
<space>Playlist</space>
<w>ToggleWatched</w>
</keyboard>
</MyVideoLibrary>
<MyVideoFiles>
<keyboard>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
<space>Playlist</space>
<q>Queue</q>
<w>ToggleWatched</w>
</keyboard>
</MyVideoFiles>
<MyVideoPlaylist>

But when I use the search field in XBMC and try to hit number keys on my Harmony one keypad, all I can see is ()&£ and so on...Of course in the harmony remote software, I've created the matching 1-9 buttons associated with the MicrosoftMCE keyboard device within a custom XBMC activity.

I've seen some people around here successful at this, if you could help me I would be very grateful to you...thanks
kokoro Wrote:Hello everyone,

I've spent more than 4 hours trying to configure the jumpsms feature with my Harmony One. I copied the keyboard.xml file located in XBMC -> System-> keymaps to XBMC-> userdata and I edited it like this:

<MyVideoLibrary>
<keyboard>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
<delete>Delete</delete>
<space>Playlist</space>
<w>ToggleWatched</w>
</keyboard>
</MyVideoLibrary>
<MyVideoFiles>
<keyboard>
<two>JumpSMS2</two>
<three>JumpSMS3</three>
<four>JumpSMS4</four>
<five>JumpSMS5</five>
<six>JumpSMS6</six>
<seven>JumpSMS7</seven>
<eight>JumpSMS8</eight>
<nine>JumpSMS9</nine>
<space>Playlist</space>
<q>Queue</q>
<w>ToggleWatched</w>
</keyboard>
</MyVideoFiles>
<MyVideoPlaylist>

But when I use the search field in XBMC and try to hit number keys on my Harmony one keypad, all I can see is ()&£ and so on...Of course in the harmony remote software, I've created the matching 1-9 buttons associated with the MicrosoftMCE keyboard device within a custom XBMC activity.

I've seen some people around here successful at this, if you could help me I would be very grateful to you...thanks

In which menu (i.e. view) where you used the search field?
bodhi Wrote:In which menu (i.e. view) where you used the search field?

Hi Bodhi, thanks for your quick reply. I've tried every views available in confluence skin, in videos->movies,files and library modes. I've tried poster wrap, fanart, mediainfo,mediainfo2,list,tumbnail. I unroll the left pane, click misc options->search and all I get in the search field when I hit the 1-9 keys is:
&é"'(§è!çà. I don't understand what i'm doing wrong. I've even tried with aeon Nox skin with the same results. Thanks for your patience, I appreciate that Wink
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13