• 34(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
Hi guys,

I finally built an HTPC last night, and am a bit overwhelmed with all of the software installation. I purchased a Harmony One and the Chinavision receiver and I'm a little confused as to whether or not this receiver is going to limit me in some way. I don't really have a budget, so should I upgrade my receiver to something else, and if so, what is the best step to go from there?

If I understand correctly, I can still use the Chinavision keypresses with EventGhost to control most everything in XBMC, whereas an MCE remote would be a bit easier?

Can I expect focus problems and what are the negatives of applying that tweak to make XBMC the shell? I am running Win7 Ultimate x 64.

Thanks.
I officially hate remotes! Ive had two lots of problems with my HP receiver both on linux, anyhow ive now moved over to WHS11, arrgh more headaches.

It recognises my device as an 'ehome infrared transceiver' but that the drivers for this device are not installed!
Generally the Windows server versions don't include drivers for eHome remotes, which is understandable since servers aren't usually used as PCs. I develop on Server 2008 R2 and I find it a pain not having support for MCE remotes, but luckily a clever chap has managed to get the eHome driver working on servers. See http://www.win2008r2workstation.com/win2...ransceiver for details. This works on my Server 2008 R2 install.

JR
Silvaire Wrote:Hi guys,

I finally built an HTPC last night, and am a bit overwhelmed with all of the software installation. I purchased a Harmony One and the Chinavision receiver and I'm a little confused as to whether or not this receiver is going to limit me in some way. I don't really have a budget, so should I upgrade my receiver to something else, and if so, what is the best step to go from there?

If I understand correctly, I can still use the Chinavision keypresses with EventGhost to control most everything in XBMC, whereas an MCE remote would be a bit easier?

Can I expect focus problems and what are the negatives of applying that tweak to make XBMC the shell? I am running Win7 Ultimate x 64.

You don't need to use Eventghost unless you want the remote to control XBMC even when it doesn't have the focus.

The Chinavision remote is limited in various ways, and I find it particularly irritating that the number keys double as the arrow keys. Of all the remotes I've tested (about a dozen) the Chinavision is my least favourite. Using a Microsoft, HP or other eHome receiver gives you a lot more flexibilty and is much nicer to use.

JR
Thanks for the that! Ive just installed the drivers WHS threw a wobbler because they are not signed. I cant reboot at the moment though as I am halfway through backup. Hopefully it will be okay after a reboot.
jhsrennie Wrote:You don't need to use Eventghost unless you want the remote to control XBMC even when it doesn't have the focus.

The Chinavision remote is limited in various ways, and I find it particularly irritating that the number keys double as the arrow keys. Of all the remotes I've tested (about a dozen) the Chinavision is my least favourite. Using a Microsoft, HP or other eHome receiver gives you a lot more flexibilty and is much nicer to use.

JR

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't think I need EventGhost then because I plan to make XBMC "appliance-like" on my HTPC and make it the shell so hopefully it won't lose focus.

I'm a little overwhelmed by the receiver selection. Is any RC6 receiver fine or is there a particular one that Microsoft makes that you are referring to? I think I read that they are no longer in production anymore? I am in the United States and I'd prefer to buy something off Amazon or Newegg, and was wondering if you could point me to what you consider a great receiver for XBMC and Harmony One?

Thanks.
Just a quick tip for anyone. If you assign the direction buttons to the MCE Keyboard rather than remote it's MUCH quicker to use and more responsive.
The HP receiver is generally regarded as working well with Harmony remotes, though you'll probably want to adjust the inter-key delay as the response is a bit slow by default. These are available on amazon.com and there are lots on ebay. Which Amazon and/or ebay site would you be using?

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:The HP receiver is generally regarded as working well with Harmony remotes, though you'll probably want to adjust the inter-key delay as the response is a bit slow by default. These are available on amazon.com and there are lots on ebay. Which Amazon and/or ebay site would you be using?

JR

Hi, thanks for helping. Am using just United States version of each website (Amazon, Newegg, Ebay, etc.). If the HP one is slow, I'd be fine ponying up for a better one. Are the good ones only available used on Ebay now?
http://www.amazon.com/GENUINE-Receiver-O...=pd_cp_e_2 looks a good buy. It's a Microsoft receiver rebadged by Dell.

All eHome receivers will need the inter-key delay adjusting.

JR
Worked a treat, THANKS!
Ended up getting the HP receiver off Ebay. Thanks for the help, JR. Are these all considered "ehome" receivers? I'll look up inter-key delay shenanigans to prepare. I assume the best way to set up these receivers is as a "MCE Keyboard"?
See the first bit of http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how to tell if the receiver is using the eHome driver.

As I recall from when I last configured my Harmony 300 it offered me the choice of "Microsoft MCE Keyboard" or "Microsoft Media Center Edition Keyboard". I can't remember if there was any difference between them.

JR
I decided to join since I setup my harmony 650 last night to use with the Hp receiver.

Here are some tips and things I came across.

1)If you want to start XBMC from the remote you must use "Media Center SE" device when setting up the Harmony remote.
2)Using Media Center SE introduced some lag on my 650, at first I picked Media Center and there was no lag, but I couldn't use it because I couldn't input simultaneous keys.
Calcvictim Wrote:I decided to join since I setup my harmony 650 last night to use with the Hp receiver.

Here are some tips and things I came across.

1)If you want to start XBMC from the remote you must use "Media Center SE" device when setting up the Harmony remote.
2)Using Media Center SE introduced some lag on my 650, at first I picked Media Center and there was no lag, but I couldn't use it because I couldn't input simultaneous keys.

What you should do is to use a mix of both Media Center Keyboard and Media Center SE. Only use Media Center SE for buttons that are not available on MCE keyboard such as Alt+, Ctrl+, Win+, Fn... keys. The Win+n keys are very reliable to start XBMC if you're on Win 7. For other systems, use Alt+, Crtl+ keys, don't use Fn keys (tends to have problems).
  • 34(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13