[Windows] Best/future dev environment for XBMC
I'm setting a new dev. environment for XBMC for Windows.

In the past I've used Visual Studio 2008 (not the express edition but the real thing) and it worked just fine.

After that broke I tried serveral other configurations including VS2008 & VS2010 Express without success. I always got DX compiling problems I wasn't able to totally solve (and yes, I was using the latest DX SDK, right now jun2010).

Now I want to put together a definitive dev equipment and I'm lost about what C++ environment to use for XBMC.

For the rest of things I'm using Eclipse (and I also will give it a try with XBMC but I'm not sure if I'll be able when I'm having trouble with the standard thing) that has nice integration with python (pydev), svn, git, trac and is multi-platform (so I don't loose nothing if I go back to linux).

I would like to test VS2010 but the last time I checked here I was advised to keep 2008 cause the 2010 project was not the standard one for TeamXBMC.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

I used Visual Studio 2010 to write a patch for XBMC and it worked like a charm. I just had to follow a few steps wrote down in the Wiki to get real debugging working.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
VS2008 still is the official version. The VS2010 project is usually in good shape too though.
I find VS2008 more reliable, but I go back and forth. VS2010 has a few additional niceties.
I'd recommend VS2008 if you want as little trouble as possible.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Best/future dev environment for XBMC0