[Windows] Yet Another First HTPC Build
So I do realize this gets old, but I hadn't seen one like this in the recent forum past (kinda new to this whole game). I plan to run XBMC on Windows 7 (64 bit) with my new 55” LG TV.

What I'm trying to do:
- Have an HTPC capable of handling uncompressed blu-ray backups in .mkv format (probably using makeMKV)
- Have multiple hard drives (roughly 6 TB preferable for all the blu-rays)
- Have an optical drive for blu-ray
- Look pretty awesome

Likely Components:
Case: LIAN LI PC-Q08B Black Aluminum Mini-ITX
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-661 Clarkdale
- Should run everything I can think of
Video Card: handled by CPU
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W
- Powerful enough for everything?
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-2GBNQ
- Not too gimped?
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB x 3
- Know of any better 2TB HDD’s for cheaper (must be reliable – this one just seemed tried and true)
Blu-Ray Player: LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Combo Model CH10LS20K LightScribe Support - OEM

I know to some it may seem like the case is a little big (especially for a mini-ITX) but I really wanted a small form factor with a lot of hard drives. My alternative was to just get external storage but it just seems so pricey compared to this method. I also had figured to get around the Mobo’s limited SATA ports – in the future I could just get a controller card and throw it where the video card would be – thus utilizing the case’s 6 hard drive bay slots (though I think this would require a PSU that would power all 7 SATA drives).

Anyway please let me know what you guys think or if I’m completely missing out on something. I’d hate to spend the money and then find out that I have to re-stock everything.
Thanks!

Edit: Also - absolutely no gaming will commence on this PC - it is purely for movie / tv show watching purposes!
Should work fine, but sorta overkill, IMO. The hardware in my signature plays 1080p flawlessly with dxva in the latest builds using a $35 cpu and $40 video card which probably consume less power together than your $210 cpu.

Then again, if you plan on doing your mkv transcodes on this rig, it's probably worth it. I have a separate desktop with a Core2Quad for this task.

Your proposed setup should be fine, but like the rest of us you gotta just jump in and get your hands dirty. Good luck!

NS
Hey !S (or anyone else)

I did as suggested and jumped in. Everything is together and the PC lives! I did make a few modifications (bumped up RAM & PSU) and man this thing is nice.

I'll try and post some pictures once I figure out how to get them off my camera since I don't have media ports Rolleyes

Anyway I do have one snafu however... there seems to be some minor stuttering which occurs with the 1080p videos (Avatar being my test case - but happens on all of them). I have the DXVA2 option checked in the settings but it doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything.

If anyone can help me out on how to solve this issue I'd be incredibly thankful. I'm positive this baby has the power to run this stuff with ease but I'm having a helluva time getting there.
XBMC doesn't currently support DXVA wth Intel GPU's. I would try turning off DXVA in the settings to see if that makes a difference. Your CPU should be able to handle video playback with ease without having to use DXVA.

If you want to use DXVA, you will have to use the DSPlayer version of XBMC.
Mallet21 Wrote:XBMC doesn't currently support DXVA wth Intel GPU's. I would try turning off DXVA in the settings to see if that makes a difference. Your CPU should be able to handle video playback with ease without having to use DXVA.

What he said.

NS
Just buy a Radeon HD 5450. It barely uses any power, and has all of the latest rendering features. It also comes in the half-height version, which
thats kinda the same setup as me works so good
asus p7h55d-m evo mobo got usb 3
core i5 661 integrated gpu 1080p blurays work flawlessly
samsung bluray drive
enermax pro 87 plus 500w psu bit overkill
4gb ddr3 ram nothing special kingston valuram
2X 2tb western digital drives
intel ssd

this setup works great im getting a tv card soon kinda bummed that it wont be able to be used with xbmc yet but oh well could go vdr tho.

the only thing i suggest is definitely get a ssd drop a hdd if you have to for now they are worth every penny good luck
the 661 uses no power its crazy how efficient it is
An i5 can destroy any 1080p video on the planet. No need for a extra GPU.

I mean, sure, the Intel GPU bundled with a i5 redefines the word "suck," but all it is in that build is a glorified HDMI/DVI port. The CPU can do everything else.

Honestly, I think an Intel GPU +i5 is better than a AMD GPU for HTPC any day of the week...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Yet Another First HTPC Build0