Linux vs Live, need to decide, please help.
Exclamation 
Alright well I just have an itch to get the latest nightly builds on my Revo 3610, problem is as we all know there is no "official" live release yet, only a release made by Freak iirc.

The reason I want to use one of the latest ones is because I have fallen in-love with the Night skin on my windows PC and would very much love to use it on my Revo. So someone recommended I should install Ubuntu and run XBMC over that. I have a few questions before I make a leap like that as I have no experience with linux what so ever.

Would running XBMC over ubuntu on an Acer Revo provide a performance decrease in comparison to running XBMC on live? To the point where skins would get a little more laggy and full HD videos won't play as silky smooth?

Would I have to do extra work to get linux to output through HDMI, and to output sound through optical or does it recognize those things automatically?

Finally what about nvidia ion acceleration? Do I have to download extra stuff to get that working properly with XBMC under linux?

And finally I have my videos on my Drobo Fs, would it automatically be able to find it like it does on Live with it running ontop of ubuntu?
go the XBMCbuntu route, the wiki article is excellent
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:go the XBMCbuntu route, the wiki article is excellent

What about my questions regarding optical, hardware acceleration etc, will that all be automatically detected like with live?
Edit: Looked over the guide, how would this enable me to install the latest version of XBMC? the Dharma builds? Also the guide doesn't mention anything about optical out.
mobious Wrote:Would running XBMC over ubuntu on an Acer Revo provide a performance decrease in comparison to running XBMC on live? To the point where skins would get a little more laggy and full HD videos won't play as silky smooth?

As stated in the XBMCbuntu guide Hannes The Hun referred to it is more and less the same. XBMC Live is Ubuntu with XBMC on the top in one package. So the performance would be the same.

mobious Wrote:Would I have to do extra work to get linux to output through HDMI, and to output sound through optical or does it recognize those things automatically?

It a long time since I installed it on a 3610, but iirc it was just about choosing the right parameters in XBMC. This was on XBMC 9.11 on Ubuntu 9.10.

mobious Wrote:Finally what about nvidia ion acceleration? Do I have to download extra stuff to get that working properly with XBMC under linux?
You'll find the information under NIVIDIA-VDPAU in the XBMCbuntu guide.

mobious Wrote:And finally I have my videos on my Drobo Fs, would it automatically be able to find it like it does on Live with it running ontop of ubuntu?
I don't now what Drobo Fs is. But XBMC Live is a minimal Ubuntu with XBMC so you'll get the same function by installing yourself manually.

But the repository for XBMC SVN is broken at the moment, at least the 64-bit version, I don't now about the 32-bits.
So basically if its the same then there is no point changing? I guess I will just wait for the Dev Team to finish up loose ends with Dharma and release a live version. Thanks for the info guys.
see my signature it works a treat on IONS
Why don't you just add the SVN repo to the live installation then upgrade?
cowfodder Wrote:Why don't you just add the SVN repo to the live installation then upgrade?

seconded, this is what i did/do (though used 9.11 xbmc freak as base).

You may need to remove xbmc before upgrading and/or do dist-upgrade, but works for me
tdw197 Wrote:seconded, this is what i did/do (though used 9.11 xbmc freak as base).

You may need to remove xbmc before upgrading and/or do dist-upgrade, but works for me

Hmm, how would I go about doing this? Where do I start? Will everything work exactly like it does with XBMC Live 9.11? IE Hardware acceleration, optical out, so forth?
Yep i've got the same issue - some skins i really like but cant use due to the version of xbmc live

Would love to know how to upgrade the SVN

i tried this

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 64234534

but it get a error about not being able to launch?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux vs Live, need to decide, please help.0