• 61(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way
Hi EG, great job with the xbmccustomregis tool! I used it on my 64-bit machine without problem, but wondering if you can help me on another 32-bit machine. The installer seems to crash or something, it doesn't even get to the point where it lists which OS to choose, the window just stops responding, closes, then the installer says to reboot. I've checked my folders and nothing's been installed by it. Any recommendations?
Hi EliteGamer,

Very nice work, this is amazing that you help me with you're Registry Config !

I'm using your system but I'm encoutering some problems :

My HP MCE Remote Image work with my Receipter Image

The problem I have is some alphanumeric button don't work.
The 3, 4, 5 and 8 dont make anything when I press on and the number 6 control the volume.

I'm trying to remap this buttons with the excellent "MRM" but when I look with "Showkey", I don't know what I need to use in MRM.

For example, for the alaphanumeric 3, with Showkey, I read this :

Code:
51 (0x33) - VK_3
<doublequote>Notification(Key, doublequote, 3)</doublequote>

so what can I set in MRM with it ?

Same problem with 4 :
Code:
52 (0x34) - VK_4
<quote>Notification(Key, quote, 3)</quote>

For 5 :
Code:
53 (0x35) - VK_5
<leftbracket>Notification(key, leftbracket, 3)</leftbracket)

For 6 :
Code:
54 (0x36) - VK_6
<minus>Notification(key,minus,3)</minus>

For 8 :
Code:
56 (0x38) - VK_8
<underline>Notification(key, underline, 3)</underline>

but in MRM, I don't know what correspond to <quote>, <minus>, <underline>, or <leftbracket>...

Thank you very much for your help !!! Blush

Hmmm, I'm not sure EliteGamer is around lately? He hasn't responded to this thread since April.
Effectively, but maybe someone else is gonna help us Big Grin!

Hi Kpitn, I'd guess you're using a French keyboard layout. Pressing 3 is like pressing the "3" key on the keyboard i.e. it generates a double quote character. Likewise for the other keys. You probably want the remote to send shift-3 so it sends a "3" character.

You can change the remote button mappings by editing EliteGamer360's .reg file in Notepad. The Wiki article http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows has all the info you need. Alternatively grab the MCERemote add-on. This is an easier way to configure the buttons, though it's less powerful than the .reg file.
(2012-04-25, 17:36)tdw197 Wrote: Anyone tried this with windows 8?

Yes (Consumer Preview x64), and I'm having a few strange issues - When I checked the registry after Windows installed the drivers for my Mediagate remote, The ReportMappingTable values were formatted with 8 bytes per row and bytes 2,3 & 4 had all different values! The remote works as it should, but when I attempted to edit the mapping it seemed to have no effect. Then I backed it up, and let the xbmccustomregis installer restore the default registry values. This time when I checked the registry all appeared to be normal; and the remote still functions normally. Now I'm installing the mod. I'll report back if anything else weird shows up.

[UPDATE]
xbmccustomregis has no effect; using either the auto installer, or merging the changes manually. AutoHotKey doesn't pick up the keypress b/c Windows button still sends the native command. Showkey displays all the usual key sends after both of these methods. The registry key reflects the change, but still no change in the mapping.
I'm sure this is probably something dumb that I've missed, but any help from fellow Win8 users would be much appreciated.

[UPDATE:SOLVED]
When I restored the backup of the original, crazy looking Mapping Table (8 bytes and only 4 keys mapped...I don't know how it even worked before - maybe Win8 is storing a default mapping somewhere?) and then re-installed the reg modifications over that, it worked just fine. I guess I shouldn't have tried to restore the defaults through the installer before installing. Yep, I'm dumb.

(2012-06-07, 11:23)jhsrennie Wrote: Hi Kpitn, I'd guess you're using a French keyboard layout. Pressing 3 is like pressing the "3" key on the keyboard i.e. it generates a double quote character. Likewise for the other keys. You probably want the remote to send shift-3 so it sends a "3" character.

You can change the remote button mappings by editing EliteGamer360's .reg file in Notepad. The Wiki article http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows has all the info you need. Alternatively grab the MCERemote add-on. This is an easier way to configure the buttons, though it's less powerful than the .reg file.

Hi jhsrennie,

Effectively, you seen well : French Keyboard Smile

Thank for your tips, It works perfectly !

My remote is finally set !

Thanks for your help ! Big Grin

Can anyone give me the original registry settings for the buttons that are modified in the registry? I backed them up but can't find my backup anywhere. Specifically, I want to get back the normal Windows power button functionality, where pressing the power shuts down the computer in the Windows environment. I'm on Win7 x64.
I have an MS (eHome) remote, but I figured this applies to MCE also. My remote works fine, but when I shelled xbmc, it no longer works because explorer is not running. If I start explorer, windows loads whatever is needed to get the remote working.

Does anyone know what process is loaded so I can add it to task scheduler to boot at startup? I tried searching this thread and others, but couldn't figure out what terms to use to get this info.

Thanks.

NM, got it working.
Guys, just come back from a long relaxing holiday Big Grin

I will be helping you lot starting from this Sunday hopefully Nod. , anyways for now just trying to catch up with some work but will be back soon Cool

BTW I have just installed the latest XBMC 11 Nightly Build and what a bad move, everything is completely messed up library, ..... everything! Very surprised that this can happen lol. Looks like XBMC 11 is not compatible with the latest Nightly Builds and they are extremely buggy so "Stay away" Sleepy

Cheers,
EG.
ok.. having an issue.. i installed mceremote.. (i know not totally related..) i'm trying to set the menu button... i set it to be the c button for context menu... but its not picking up anything.. i'm using a harmony remote with a e-home receiver.. what am i doing wrong?

the only thing i could think is wrong is that i renamed the ehtray.exe file so everytime i hit menu.. it wouldnt open WMC.. any ideas?"
(2012-06-18, 00:41)gman3042 Wrote: ok.. having an issue.. i installed mceremote.. (i know not totally related..) i'm trying to set the menu button... i set it to be the c button for context menu... but its not picking up anything.. i'm using a harmony remote with a e-home receiver.. what am i doing wrong?

the only thing i could think is wrong is that i renamed the ehtray.exe file so everytime i hit menu.. it wouldnt open WMC.. any ideas?"

Please let us know what setup are you using and what MCE remote or MCE IR receiver you are using, if the receiver is an RC6 compatible then you should not have any issues changing your remote config. Please use showkey.exe to find out what your menu button sends. Then let us Know Smile

Cheers,
EG.
Any one else still having some sort of issues let me know, just do not know from where to start or who still needs help. Next time I go on holiday will make a public announcement lol Big Grin Angel Wink

Cheers,
EG.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002

it is a IR605 receiver

not sure how that program is supposed to work.. i load it up.. load up xbmc.. start press random buttons.. but nothing ever comes up on the GUI...

any ideas?

i'm using the harmony with the mce profiles
also keep in mind that most of the xbmc commands work.. like back.. play/pause.. and if i set c to context as one of the optional buttons in the harmony remote.. it works fine.. its just that i want the MENU button on my remote to be different in xbmc (c in xbmc) than it is in wmc(regular menu button)..
(2012-06-18, 02:19)gman3042 Wrote: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101002

it is a IR605 receiver

not sure how that program is supposed to work.. i load it up.. load up xbmc.. start press random buttons.. but nothing ever comes up on the GUI...

any ideas?

i'm using the harmony with the mce profiles

(2012-06-18, 02:44)gman3042 Wrote: also keep in mind that most of the xbmc commands work.. like back.. play/pause.. and if i set c to context as one of the optional buttons in the harmony remote.. it works fine.. its just that i want the MENU button on my remote to be different in xbmc (c in xbmc) than it is in wmc(regular menu button)..

Ok seems that the remote you are using is RC6 then there should not be a problem setting up your remote like you want. Although this thread is not for harmony remote as I do not have or use one, but the best way to start with any harmony is to setup the main remote first then you can test the harmony functionality afterwards. This way it will be easier for you to find out what the harmony buttons send. At the moment you have left the registry as default and in that situation you will not be able to find what the buttons send like you experienced yourself when using showkey.exe.

So to start, I would advise the following:-

1- Use this File to create backup to your current registry settings just incase you want to revert back to them for any reason. Place the .zip on your desktop and extract "Create.reg.backup.desktop.bat" to your desktop. Double click on the "Create.reg.backup.desktop.bat" to run it and it will automatically create your .reg backup file called "Custom_setup.reg" keep this file safe. NOTE: In case you want to revert to it just double click on it and click "yes" on the popup window.

2- Download Config.reg v1.25 to your desktop, extract "Config.v1.25.reg" and double click on it to install, when the popup window appears click yes then restart your computer.

3- Your MCE remote should be fully configured now and here is the list of what each button should send.

4- Now just test your MCE remote see if it works, the context menu should be "Guide" button on your MCE remote.

5- Finally you can test the harmony with showkey.exe to find out what the button that you want actually sends. You can report back with the result then will advice further, bearing in mind that I never used a harmony before... LoL

Cheers,
EG.
  • 61(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use MCE remote in XBMC under Windows the easy way15