XBMC Crashes During Music Playback
Hi. I'm running XBMC 1:9.11-lucid2 from the Ubuntu XBMC repository on a fully up-to-date Mythbuntu 10.04.

Everything is excellent except that after an our or two (typically but sometimes after only a few minutes) of playing music from the hard drive, XBMC will crash and I have to start it again. The log file shows no record of the crash (like a core dump or anything) and the application starts up again with no errors. I'm often running no other programs in the foreground when this happens (just most of the usual stuff Mythbuntu runs in the background).

My computer has an Intel G41 chipset with a Core 2 Duo CPU and 2 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD with room to spare.

I also checked Google and these forums for similar troubles but couldn't find anything like this.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what might be wrong or what I should check in troubleshooting the issue?

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike,

I have the exact same problem. I will often have music playing pretty much all day and will crash 3-4 times per day for no apparent reason. No crash logs...nothin.

I'm using mythbuntu 10.04 also. I'm on r32246 from the svn PPA. My hardware is Zotac ionitx and my music is stored on a server shared via samba and mounted permanently locally in the file system.

So, same os as you, but everything else different.

Phil
Weird. Thanks for replying, Phil. At least someone else out there has the problem and is putting it on the forums. I bet others are experiencing these crashes as well.

Does anyone out there know what might be wrong or where we can look for clues on that?

Mike
Hey moj0rising,

I was getting the same issue, there was no crashlog to report XBMC crashed, yet when it does it is supposed to restart itself, which sometimes it would just be stuck on a blank screen.

When I had a look at the .xsession-errors file, I saw:
xbmc.bin: malloc.c:3096: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I can't remember what revision it was at when this was happening, but I tried updating to a later and I still had the same issue.
It was about 326XX

I rolled back to 32550 and now it all appears to be working fine for me.
Gryph Wrote:Hey moj0rising,

I was getting the same issue, there was no crashlog to report XBMC crashed, yet when it does it is supposed to restart itself, which sometimes it would just be stuck on a blank screen.

When I had a look at the .xsession-errors file, I saw:
xbmc.bin: malloc.c:3096: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

I can't remember what revision it was at when this was happening, but I tried updating to a later and I still had the same issue.
It was about 326XX

I rolled back to 32550 and now it all appears to be working fine for me.

I am getting this constantly and have made a ticket on trac.

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/9957

If anyone else have something to contribute to the ticket, please do so.

Sincerely
TobiasTheCommie

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Crashes During Music Playback0