• 9(current)
Revo 3610 - Avatar - stuttering
alexrose1uk Wrote:Harry, just made some samples. Have put a Live implementation onto a USB stick to boot off and am just going to test the samples to make sure they show the same issues as the full files (be a bit pointless uploading them if they don't). Providing they do work, and they still demonstrate the issues (one file drops frames, one has massive frame slowdown), I'll get them uploaded.

Edit: Here we go :-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a4rjear9ho...ampleB.mkv
720p sample
Sample B has issues in both Windows and Linux versions of XBMC. When watching the output you should notice a heavy framerate drop/stutter whilst there is lighting flashing around the girl about 00:2-00:04, whilst the rest will remain fluid. There is no framedrop reported on the output panel during this period.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rionrlymbn...ampleG.mkv
480p sample
Sample G you'll see stutter at various points, during those stutters you should be able to see the frame drop counter rising if you're watching with the output panel up.
This file works with NO stutter/associated frame drops with the Dharma Windows DXVA SVN.

Both play with no issues under MPC-HC.

Anyways, off to go build a proper fault post in the Windows forums for Sample B, and a few other issues I've noticed with the Windows SVN build Smile

I've tried the samples with the same results as alexrose1uk.
Im in the same boat. Revo 3610 with XBMCFreak LiveCD v14 install.

I updated to the latest verison of Nvidia Drivers v236 and still no improvement. Avatar becomes really annoying to watch with the "stuttering". The more you notice it the worse it becomes Sad Ignorance was bliss, now i just cannot ignore it anymore.

I think i might upgrade to a Zotac HD-ID33 since it has a built in Bluray player and a dedicated 512mb for the video.

Though I do hope somebody somebody works this out sooner rather than later. Surely someone has the revo working at 1080 well enough to share their config?
I'm back to using the Live version as I couldn't do with having a windows license tied up on a machine just to play movies.

I reinstalled using the Dharma beta. Haven't managed to get menu sounds to work, but if I did I'd only turn them off anyway so I'm not bothered about that.

Everything else working fine except for the problem I originally started this thread for.

I'd still like to see a solution to the problem, but to be fair I'm unlikely to store untouched bluray rips anyway, so the fact it can't play the 30GB Avatar isn't much of a worry now. I bought the Spiderman bluray trilogy and converted them to mkv using staxrip and the quality is fantastic. These converts end up anything between 6GB to 15GB and I've no had any trouble playing those, including a converted avatar.

But it isn't just the untouched bluray rips that cause the problem, or the bitrate, as the samples earlier in this thread appear to prove.

If I come across a file I can't play I'll probably just re-convert it.... may suffer a little loss in quality but nothing to worry about on a 40" tv.
phez Wrote:Im in the same boat. Revo 3610 with XBMCFreak LiveCD v14 install.

I updated to the latest verison of Nvidia Drivers v236 and still no improvement. Avatar becomes really annoying to watch with the "stuttering". The more you notice it the worse it becomes Sad Ignorance was bliss, now i just cannot ignore it anymore.

I think i might upgrade to a Zotac HD-ID33 since it has a built in Bluray player and a dedicated 512mb for the video.

Though I do hope somebody somebody works this out sooner rather than later. Surely someone has the revo working at 1080 well enough to share their config?

Maybe you're having the juddering issues rather than stuttering? Certainly from my experience the stuttering I was getting wasn't something that annoyed you once you spotted it, ie you couldn't be "ignorant" of it. It was completely unwatchable! As though 50% of the frames were being dropped... even though the info didn't report any frame loss.

If it's judder, ie subtle (matter of opinion I guess) stuttering, especially when panning, then that could just be down to the various options (within xbmc) and system configurations. There's a thread somewhere on here (sticky I think) that guides you through getting smooth playback for 24p content etc. Maybe you need to look at that. There's also video/audio sync options in xbmc. I'm no expert on that stuff and tend to just hunt down guides other people have posted.
Hi all - in my case (running Dharma 2 originally installed from the XBMC Freak Live disk on an Acer Aspire 1600), the only stuttering I have with Avatar is when the forced subs are displayed on the screen. When the subs are displayed, the error rate % on the OSD spikes up immediately and persists until they are done displaying. (no frame drops however)

If I play the same scene again without the subs on, it plays without issue.

Are there any known issues with the types of subs used in this film? I remember that they were different than many earlier BluRays when this first came out but don't know if that specifically would be causing this. If I can provide more info to help troubleshoot, please let me know. Otherwise, it'd be interesting for others to report back on whether disabling the subs allows the video to play smoothly like it does for me.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
myrison Wrote:Hi all - in my case (running Dharma 2 originally installed from the XBMC Freak Live disk on an Acer Aspire 1600), the only stuttering I have with Avatar is when the forced subs are displayed on the screen. When the subs are displayed, the error rate % on the OSD spikes up immediately and persists until they are done displaying. (no frame drops however)

If I play the same scene again without the subs on, it plays without issue.

Are there any known issues with the types of subs used in this film? I remember that they were different than many earlier BluRays when this first came out but don't know if that specifically would be causing this. If I can provide more info to help troubleshoot, please let me know. Otherwise, it'd be interesting for others to report back on whether disabling the subs allows the video to play smoothly like it does for me.

I was just playing with this last night. I think it has to do with the A/V Sync, I seemed to get better playback using drop/dupe rather than resample. Disabling subtitles does make the video play flawlessly.
I would need to verify this, but I believe when I first watched Avatar I tried to use a separate .srt file and had the same issue... so it may not be just with the specific subtitle used.
Thanks for the reply. The issue I have appears only to occur when the Na'Vi subs are on the screen. For example, if I play only the forced subs track, then I only have stuttering when the Na'Vi conversations come on screen.

However, if I play the full subtitles track, all subs play smoothly until the Na'Vi characters come on screen. Given that limited testing, it doesn't appear to be a problem with the sub format, but specifically with the Na'Vi sections . I suspect it has something to do with the different fonts used during the Na'vi language scenes, but I'm totally guessing at that.

Sdsnyr - please let me know if you have the same experience when you experiment further. In my case at least, I don't think it has to do with A/V Sync, but please feel free to test and prove me wrong. Smile
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
I had the same issue with Avatar and full MakeMKV on Dharma b3 Live on my Ion (Asus Eeebox EB1012). I haven't done a ton of tests, but it seemed that switching to AC3 sound track (from the default DTS HD) fixed it for me.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Revo 3610 - Avatar - stuttering1