Basic Knownledge about Crystal HD
Hi there,

before i ask too many silly questions in different threads ill rather open up my own thread.

I am new to AppleTV and look forward to using it with XBMC.

My Model is an ATV 320GB with a BCM70012 Crystal HD Chip. After reading a lot of websites and this forum i still have a few questions left unanswered:

1. Everyone is talking about Crystal HD drivers (i.e. r145). How can i update them? What are they for? Will they improve HD Playback? Are those automatically installed via ATV Flash? And finally, how can i see which version i got Wink?

2. I am a Linux Newbie. Is it possible for me to install Linux on the internal Hard Drive and revert it back to ATV OS without any complication? I only own a Mac. No Linux or Windows Machine. Anyone having an easy installation guide (if that exists)

3. Can i do #2 without opening up ATV?

Thats all i guess.

Thanks for reading!
noreason4nothin Wrote:Hi there,

before i ask too many silly questions in different threads ill rather open up my own thread.

I am new to AppleTV and look forward to using it with XBMC.

My Model is an ATV 320GB with a BCM70012 Crystal HD Chip. After reading a lot of websites and this forum i still have a few questions left unanswered:

1. Everyone is talking about Crystal HD drivers (i.e. r145). How can i update them? What are they for? Will they improve HD Playback? Are those automatically installed via ATV Flash? And finally, how can i see which version i got Wink?

2. I am a Linux Newbie. Is it possible for me to install Linux on the internal Hard Drive and revert it back to ATV OS without any complication? I only own a Mac. No Linux or Windows Machine. Anyone having an easy installation guide (if that exists)

3. Can i do #2 without opening up ATV?

Thats all i guess.

Thanks for reading!

1) drivers talk to hardware, crystalhd is a hardware card. no driver for it, no worky. To see the version use kextstat. Don't know about ATVFlash, they are parasites to the ATV developer community.

2) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV

3) yes.
Seriously, I agree with you. I am completely lost here with all these experts knowing everything but there not being a Simple.. Single Source of truth. A Guide for someone who is totally new.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Basic Knownledge about Crystal HD0