A complete DIY home automation solution
I've been looking at various solutions for a complete do it yourself home automation system. By complete, I mean home automation aspects like lights/motion sensors/scenes and home theatre aspects like PVR, Movies, location free viewing (ie slingbox). My biggest requirement is that everything be controlled by iPhone/Pad/Touch.

I spent a good amount of time with Linux MCE but eventually gave up on it. Drivers were hit and miss, support non existent and unless you knew a fair bit about Linux it was next to impossible to accomplish anything.

Which brings me to XBMC, which has come a long way since I last used it with my Xbox.

I feel like the only way to achieve this without spending a huge amount of money for a branded automation system is to take a modular approach. Here is my proposal:

Home Theatre

-Apple TV or eeeBox/Aspire Revo for each TV with XBMC live
-Mac Pro as file server (movies)
-x86 box as Mythtv server
-XBMC remote iOS app.

Location Free TV/Movies

-Air Video Server
-Air Video iOS App

Home Automation

-Perceptive Automation's Indigo for Mac
-X10/Insteon controller and components
-Indigo Touch iOS App

I am unsure how well XBMC works with MythTV, and if the remote app provides control for it at all. From what I've read its a feature that's being worked on. Maybe Elgato is a better alternative?

The only downside I can see is the necessity to use three different apps to accomplish all the tasks.

Any suggestions? Is there a better solution out there?
Bigstar Wrote:I feel like the only way to achieve this without spending a huge amount of money for a branded automation system

If you want to avoid spending huge amounts of money on a branded system, and want it to be DIY...

Hackintosh instead of Mac Pro Big Grin
Kodi: Kodi 17.4, with Transparency!
50 TB Unraid Server: Docker Apps: SABnzbd, Sickrage, mariaDB
HTPC: Win10 (cause Steam), i7, GTX 1080
Watching on: Panasonic TC65-PS64 with lowend Sony 5.1 HTIB
Other devices: rMBP 15", MBA 13", nvidia shield
Thanks for the tip. I already have a Mac Pro available otherwise I would likely use a PC.
Mac Pro or hackintosh makes a poor file server because the SMB (Samba) sharing in Snow Leopard is broken.

I know from experience. If you are set on doing that, plan on running 10.5.7....

Thanks for the heads up. I currently use a popcorn hour and stream all my media from the Mac Pro using Myihome, it's running leopard.

It might be better to store the media on the mythtv box though and just use the Mac for the home automation portion.
Must it run on Mac? The Apple meets home automation front absolutely, completely and utterly sucks. You have Savant on one hand (can't DIY, costs more than Crestron and has a very slim heritage) and, ahem, Indigo (what, like four drivers? Based on X10 crap. Possibly THE worst automation platform extant) on the other. Were you to open up to the possibility of using a PC based solution, you have MANY more (and MUCH better) DIY options. See http://www.cocoontech.com for more info. And, no, I am not full of crap. I have been in the automation industry (residential and commercial) for nearly 10 years.
Mac is not a requirement, I just happen to have one so I thought I could make use of it, which is what led me to Indigo.

I am definetely open to other solutions that are PC based, with the only requirement of being able to control from iOS devices.

I looked around a bit at cocoontech.com and came across the ultimate home automation software list. Lots of options there, but not quite sure which to choose. I will take a look at their respective websites.

Are there any XBMC users integrating one of these solutions?
Big - I am using HomeSeer and it has been fantastic. The devs for HS are always updating/improving the system so it is far from a stagnant platform. As a matter of fact, I bought a Global Cache device that was recently released and attempted to use it with HS but it wouldn't communicate correctly. I called and talked to the guy who developed the code to talk to Global Cache devices and he had new code to me in about a week. That's service.
From the spreadsheet i found at cocoontech.com which compares various ha software, homeseer appeared to be the standout.

Interestingly the reviews for the homeseer iPhone app are good will the iPad app gets poor reviews.

As a homeseer user, how do you integrate your home theatre? Do you use XBMC, what about PVR?
I use Charmed Quark (a PC based solution) in my own home (humble, 1800 sq.ft.) and have installed it in a 300 acre, multiple building, $70 million dollar ranch (as well as other projects). It works and works well. I also use XBMC in my rig and currently, Charmed Quark is controlling it via IR (Global Cache GC100).
Is your mac pro Intel Based? If so you can install windows or linux on it. Apple even provides the windows drivers. If you're not sure post the serial number and I can check for you.
Bigstar Wrote:By complete, I mean home automation aspects like lights/motion sensors/scenes and home theatre aspects like PVR, Movies, location free viewing (ie slingbox).

.. (wiki)
Location Free TV/Movies

-Air Video Server
-Air Video iOS App

Any advice for me how Air Video helps you with your slingbox? I am still failing to watch Sling in XBMC and would love to see a solution.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Big - I have yet to integrate my HT fully. Right now I am using Global Cache IR to IP devices to control various equipment, but I don't have it like I want it yet as it is fairly rough right now. It isn't rough b/c of HS, it is rough b/c I have not dedicated the time to fix configure it properly as I am focusing on everything else first (lighting, security, cameras, HVAC, door locks, motion detectors, occupancy sensors, etc.).
steve1977 Wrote:Any advice for me how Air Video helps you with your slingbox? I am still failing to watch Sling in XBMC and would love to see a solution.
I don't actually have slingbox, I just used that as an example. I'm currently using Air Video to stream movies and recordings but not Live TV.
virgahyatt Wrote:Is your mac pro Intel Based? If so you can install windows or linux on it. Apple even provides the windows drivers. If you're not sure post the serial number and I can check for you.
The Mac is intel but i'd like to keep it as Mac OSX. It seems the consensus is that automation solutions other than Indigo are the way to go so I will likely setup a VM to host it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A complete DIY home automation solution0