5 second hang when launching xbmc...
Hi,

When launching xbmc, there appears to be a 3 second hang. It's related to the rss feed as when disabled the hang disappears. When loading Confluence, the hang is visible as the menus are unresponsive during this time.

Is there code to delay the appearance of objects on the home screen?

The reason for asking is that animations hang during this and really noticeable!

Thanks
I delay the Home animations when starting XBMC using condition="Window.Previous(startup)".
Yea I and Galefury noticed this like 3 months ago. Even with a basic 'Empty' skin, that I have no animations in yet, I get that delay. Though 5 seconds seems long, I'd say a solid 1-3 second delay, no matter the skin.

I havent run Alaska much recently but I'll 2x check that one and see...

I'm on W7 BTW...

**EDIT**

THIS was the orginal thread, I was just hoping it clear up on it's own...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
Hey Hitcher,

Thanks mate. Was going to post that Alaska and Alaska Revisited seem to delay on launch.

Cheers for your help. Wink
mcborzu Wrote:Though 5 seconds seems long, I'd say a solid 1-3 second delay, no matter the skin.

Hey mcborzu,

I updated my original post. About 3 seconds is what i see.

Cheers
yeah I see it too was wondering what caused it myself
@Hitcher,

Just been looking at Alaska and Revisited, however i can't find any condition="Window.Previous(startup)" entry anywhere?
Definitely rss related as when i remove rss code the problem disappears. Even when in debug mode, the debug readout hangs!
yeah I get 2-3 second delay myself and it totally kills the opening animations Sad
liquidskin76 Wrote:@Hitcher,

Just been looking at Alaska and Revisited, however i can't find any condition="Window.Previous(startup)" entry anywhere?

Sorry, I should have said I'm currently using them for Welo. Rolleyes

I'm guessing it's a combination of checking the RSS feed, running the 'Recently Added' script (which most of us use) and checking all the installed Add-ons.
what might be cool is to extend the startup splash screen w/ a progress bar at the bottom and let it say...preloading skin elements and let it load all these animation killers in the background before we actually see the skin. This way it lets the user know something is going on other than seeing a black screen.

just a thought
Or even just show the splash screen until it's ready to go.
Mine hangs on start up because of a dvd being in the drive, and it takes a few seconds to spin up.
Maybe just something as simple as a <StartupSplash>5</StartupSplash> on the home.xml. The # defined just adds seconds to the slash. Let it be user definable, if not in the skins themselves, then maybe in advancesettings.xml

Now that I think of it, giving the power to the end user would be more beneficial incase thier system is slower, or has extra things slowing down startup, as in dvd in the drive, slower network, etc.
^
dont see the harm in adding such a feature

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5 second hang when launching xbmc...0