• 45(current)
Release [depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only
notquiteanewbie Wrote:Hey guys new user here. Finished building my first HTPC last week and still getting up to speed with XBMC. Hopefully the below question hasn't already been asked. If it has please point me in the right direction.

I have Youtube as a video source and everything plays fine however is there any kind of script that I could install that would enable the option to allow for randomly selecting and/or continuously playing back videos? It would be nice if I didn't have to select each video individually or have to manually queue them up.

For example I would like to be able to access Youtube, select a category of videos to watch, lets say Youtube Disco, and have XBMC play back all of the videos either sequentially or at random.

Note: I don't really like the concept of creating a playlist either since this content may actually change, i.e, Top Videos or Top Artists

Thanks in advance

I'm using XBMC 10 Dharma on Win 7 x64

I have the exact same version and the exact same need. I don't care much about the random but the continuous would be great. If I play one video, just keep going to the next one when it is done. Possible ?
i noticed xbmc crashing while trying to play a few youtube clips. also happend to me after a fresh restart.

here is the crashlog
http://pastebin.com/RG1fQmJ3

Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS, 2.6.32-28-generic x86_64). Built on Feb 2 2011 (Git:83d67e4) (compiled using git sources)
XBMC Skin: skin.aeon65

if you guys need more info or tests im glad to be of any help! Smile
TobiasTheCommie Wrote:The login process to google/youtube is rather complicated, and there are many complications with both the process, and the code.

The plugin developed on(and mainly tested on) Linux and Mac OS X, though we endeavour to test it on windows before every major release as well.

Login issues have been prevalent in this plugin from the very beginning, and while it has improved it still appears there are some generic problems with log in.

As such, if you want any help with this issue you must follow these steps.

1) Uninstall and remove the youtube plugin (and addon userdata) from XBMC
* On linux make sure the following folders don't exist:
$HOME/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.youtube/
$HOME/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.video.youtube/

* On Mac make sure the following folders don't exist:
/$User/Library/Application Support/XBMC/addons/plugins.video.youtube
/$User/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/addon_data/plugins.video.youtube

* On Windows 7 and Vista make sure the fllowing folders don't exist:
\media\windows\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons\plugins.video.youtube
\media\windows\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata/addon_data\plugins.video.youtube ( This path might be wrong. Will verify when i get home to a vista computer after xmas ).

2) Restart XBMC and install the LATEST youtube plugin. Remember which method was used to install the plugin.

3) Open the plugin and go to "Advanced" in settings and enable "Plugin debug"

4) Go back to general and enter your username and password and confirm.

5) Restart XBMC

6) If you still have login issue open settings and retype your login credentials.

7) Upload your debug log to http://pastebin.ca/upload.php ( Do NOT upload part of the log, we need the ENTIRE log. The easiest method is through the link provided).

8) Post a message in this thread with your debug log, and with your selected installation method ( Install from zip / Manual install / From repository ) and any other information that might be relevant.

If you have problems following the guide, please ask and we will help you through it.

Addendum:
If you can login with no issues and you run windows ( especially windows xp ) it would be a big help if i could get the following:
1) Windows version
2) XBMC version/revision
3) Plugin version

Of course i would prefer a debug log. But any and all confirmation of success on windows would be interesting.

Sincerely
A Barstard Commie.

Hi there,

I've spent nearly 4 hours trying to sort this problem where i am unable to log into the youtube plugin.

It had all been working fine for months until all of a sudden today it stopped working on my laptop. I've got xbmc installed on an acer-revo too so i checked that and the plugin was still working and i could see all my playlists etc. I stupidly logged out of the plugin on the acer-revo and now can't log back in to that either!!!

So now i have 2 machines, both with XBMC, neither of which i am able to log into. I've got a gathering round my house tomorrow and was going to use my youtube playlists by queuing them!!

Someone please help!!

http://pastebin.com/zENVqiLx

These are the errors
02:45:17 T:6912 M:2130870272 ERROR: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?path=/root/login&action=settings&
02:45:17 T:6912 M:2130870272 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.youtube/?path=/root/login&action=settings&) failed

The credentials are definately correct. I am using my email address to login and can do so no problems in internet explorer.

What am i doing wrong??
cmonpellier Wrote:I have the exact same version and the exact same need. I don't care much about the random but the continuous would be great. If I play one video, just keep going to the next one when it is done. Possible ?

As it is currently implemented in xbmc this would require an extensive amount of code in the plugin that should really be a part of xbmc's plugin structure.

I've created a patch that implements a "play all" feature which would allow us to create context menu items that would automatically queue all items in a playlist and play them (ticket here).

Currently the patch is awaiting review and comments from the xbmc dev's, and sadly it is one of three patche's that is blocking the work we want to do for the next beta.
I just wanted to say, this thing is great!

I have tried various youtube plugins since I started using xbmc on an original xbox and have always been disappointed. I wasn't expecting much when I clicked install but this plugin works really well.

The quality is unexpectedly good (as in, I didn't realize youtube was even capable of serving up videos this good). I have had to cut my streaming quality down to 720p max since some videos get stuck buffering every few seconds on my connection (even 720p videos sometimes are too much for my connection).

Is there a difference between different sources of videos? It seems like when I stream popular videos in 720 or 1080, they work fine for the most part but less mainstream stuff is more likely to stutter (like some of the 1080p in-studio performances from 893thecurrent). Is this just because the videos are less popular and are mirrored in less places while some new kanye video is probably all over their CDN on a mirror attached directly to my ISP?

Doesn't really matter as I can't really tell the differance between the 720 and 1080 content (and I can still download it at 1080
Hi all,

First of all and mandatory, thanks HenrikDK for the best Youtube plugin ever.

That said I wanted to share a bug(?) I was experiencing in the last stable version available in the addons manager, to my best knowledge. This is my test environment:

Windows 7 Ultimate
XBMC Dharma Final
Youtube Addon 2.0.0

I must admit that I haven't checked throughtly the thread so maybe this has been already notified and solved or clarified. If that's the case, please excuse me and forget (or delete) this post. I just wanted to share a personal experience when using the addon and how I worked (solved sounds pretty arrogant on my part) around it.

Everything is working fine with the exception of the playlists that where giving a scripting error. I checked the log and found out that it was related to character coding in the title of the list. To be specific it was an error in the line 347 of file youtubecore.py.

this is the line in question:

Code:
video['Title'] = str(node.getElementsByTagName("title").item(0).firstChild.nodeValue.replace('Activity of : ', '').replace('Videos published by : ', '')).encode( "utf-8" );

As the error was caused by some conversion problem I decided to change the code to avoid it "the easy way".

Quote: try:
video['Title'] = str(node.getElementsByTagName("title").item(0).firstChild.nodeValue.replace('Activity of : ', '').replace('Videos published by : ', '')).encode( "utf-8" );
except:
print "JUR: ERROR. Can't handle the playlist name"
video['Title'] = "Unknown playlist"
That way I could finally see the list and figure out which one was the problematic list.

It turns out, as I suspected that the problematic lists (2) had non-ascii characters on their names. (As you probably already guessed from my poor syntax my native language is not English, but Spanish).

The lists where: "Cámera Café" and "Música". I just renamed them in youtube and now they work fine.

So, if you want to look into it to provide a better solution I will gladly help, if I can.

I'm sorry I can't provide the log right now, but I saw the error several days ago and since then I've been using my modified working copy so the error is long gone. If you need/want it just ask and I will gladly re-reproduce it and send the log.

Thanks for your time and again for the best youtube addon.

jur.

Ps. If the addon is ready for it I can provide a Spanish translation for the plugin. Do you want me to share it? Where?
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting use -> Log file.

jurrabi Wrote:Hi all,

First of all and mandatory, thanks HenrikDK for the best Youtube plugin ever.

That said I wanted to share a bug(?) I was experiencing in the last stable version available in the addons manager, to my best knowledge. This is my test environment:

Windows 7 Ultimate
XBMC Dharma Final
Youtube Addon 2.0.0

I must admit that I haven't checked throughtly the thread so maybe this has been already notified and solved or clarified. If that's the case, please excuse me and forget (or delete) this post. I just wanted to share a personal experience when using the addon and how I worked (solved sounds pretty arrogant on my part) around it.

Everything is working fine with the exception of the playlists that where giving a scripting error. I checked the log and found out that it was related to character coding in the title of the list. To be specific it was an error in the line 347 of file youtubecore.py.

this is the line in question:

Code:

As the error was caused by some conversion problem I decided to change the code to avoid it "the easy way".

That way I could finally see the list and figure out which one was the problematic list.

It turns out, as I suspected that the problematic lists (2) had non-ascii characters on their names. (As you probably already guessed from my poor syntax my native language is not English, but Spanish).

The lists where: "Cámera Café" and "Música". I just renamed them in youtube and now they work fine.

So, if you want to look into it to provide a better solution I will gladly help, if I can.

I'm sorry I can't provide the log right now, but I saw the error several days ago and since then I've been using my modified working copy so the error is long gone. If you need/want it just ask and I will gladly re-reproduce it and send the log.

Thanks for your time and again for the best youtube addon.

jur.
Seems to be another unicode decode / encode problem in the plugin, I'll have tobias test it Smile

jurrabi Wrote:Ps. If the addon is ready for it I can provide a Spanish translation for the plugin. Do you want me to share it? Where?
Most string's should already have been moved to the strings xml, so if you're up for it we'd gladly accept any translation you (or other users) might provide. Please create an "issue" with the xml file attached here: http://code.google.com/p/youtubexbmc/issues/list and we'll include it in the next service release Smile
ottothecow Wrote:I just wanted to say, this thing is great!

I have tried various youtube plugins since I started using xbmc on an original xbox and have always been disappointed. I wasn't expecting much when I clicked install but this plugin works really well.

The quality is unexpectedly good (as in, I didn't realize youtube was even capable of serving up videos this good). I have had to cut my streaming quality down to 720p max since some videos get stuck buffering every few seconds on my connection (even 720p videos sometimes are too much for my connection).

Is there a difference between different sources of videos? It seems like when I stream popular videos in 720 or 1080, they work fine for the most part but less mainstream stuff is more likely to stutter (like some of the 1080p in-studio performances from 893thecurrent). Is this just because the videos are less popular and are mirrored in less places while some new kanye video is probably all over their CDN on a mirror attached directly to my ISP?

Doesn't really matter as I can't really tell the differance between the 720 and 1080 content (and I can still download it at 1080

Glad you like it Smile

As for you're questions yes it does seem that youtube performs pretty extensive bandwith throttling on video streams, but these are mostly for SD content. I Hadn't considered that they might be doing some mirroring too, but it seems logical. That being said, I have noticed that youtube often serves up multiple url's for the same video stream and quality, so maybe we're doing something wrong there Huh. In any case it's a good excuse to look through the code again and see if its still working optimally. Smile
HenrikDK Wrote:Most string's should already have been moved to the strings xml, so if you're up for it we'd gladly accept any translation you (or other users) might provide. Please create an "issue" with the xml file attached here: http://code.google.com/p/youtubexbmc/issues/list and we'll include it in the next service release Smile

Will do that. I'm right now testing the texts (to check there are no problems with length and I will post them later today.

Thanks for your quick response.

EDIT: Done and posted as Issue 3
Always read the XBMC Online Manual,Frequently Asked Questions and search the forum before posting.

Quick question (for the translation)

What does "Refine to user" mean?
Can it be a typo?
I was tempted to understand "Refer to user" as in "recommend to user"... but I really don't know...

great addon!!!

it works fine and stable, but i have a question:
is there a possibility to start a youtube-video from a textfile with the link in it? i tested it with the .strm-filetype but it does not work.

that would be great to simply add some trailers without downloading.
How to make it play videos continuously from playlist?
Hello people.

I (and a few other peeps) are having an issue with the plugin, which I posted in this thread here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93226 - if any kind, wise and sage fellows could offer any advice...well, that'd be swell.
Is there a way to queue and play all files from a youtube playlist using plugin:// paths?
I want to add my youtube music playlist to my favourites.

Also can I make my youtube playlist autoplay on XBMC startup and between anything else in the background?
Bummer for this plugin: When you click "Now playing" in the menu from the youtube plugin, you go to the Now playing for music - which is most likely empty. Why not go to Now playing videos instead? This has worked in an earlier release! Smile

on XBMC 10.1 Dharma
Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS - XBMCLive
from FreeNAS 8.0-Release
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[depricated] old YouTube Plugin - XBMC 13.0 Frodo/Gotham only28