• 5(current)
Manually installing CrystalHD driver/lib/firmware
davilla Wrote:kextstat is installed as part of binutils from atvusb-creator. How did you patch your AppleTV ?

I used atvusb-creator. Still have the patch stick if that helps...
Here's my dmesg if that helps: http://pastebin.com/NHpKKUT6
"sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext"
davilla Wrote:"sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext"

Response:

-bash-2.05b$ sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: unable to register module with kernel
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
-bash-2.05b$
davilla Wrote:"sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext"

Re-ran the enabler.bin and tried this again....worked!

-bash-2.05b$ chmod +x turbo_atv_enabler.bin
-bash-2.05b$ sudo ./turbo_atv_enabler.bin
This software is copyright 2008 Turbo (Mike Byrne) and MAY NOT be distributed.
All rights reserved.
Contact [email protected] for more information

Installing kext enabler... OK!
Installing Turbo's SSE3 emulator... OK!

Done.
-bash-2.05b$ sudo kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext loaded successfully
kextload: loading personalities named:
kextload: BCM70012
kextload: BCM70015
kextload: sending 2 personalities to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext
-bash-2.05b$
Almost there!!

When I run the enabler.bin, then load the .kext, and then immediately launch XBMC, the CrystalHD option is there and works!!

When I reboot, though, it disappears. This tells me that the rc.local file that I created in /etc isn't properly launching turbo_atv_enabler.bin and then loading the kexts.

Here's what I did:

-Created the rc.local file by performing:
sudo touch /etc/rc.local
sudo chmod 755 /etc/rc.local
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

-Copied the file to my desktop, opened it in NotePad, and inserted the following into the empty file:
# rc.local
/sbin/turbo_atv_enabler.bin
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

-Saved the file without renaming and ensuring it didn't get a .txt extension

-Uploaded the rc.local file into /tmp and copied it into /etc using Putty

-Executed the following:

-Opened the rc.local using WinSCP to ensure that the content was still there (WinSCP accesses it read-only)

-Rebooted....no Broadcom kext loading Sad

Yes, turbo_atv_enabler.bin is in the /sbin directory

EDIT:: I think I found a hint:
-bash-2.05b$ cd /sbin
chmod: turbo_atv_enabler.bin: Read-only file system

So I think I need to move it to a different directory.

EDIT 2:: It worked!! I put the turbo_atv_enabler.bin in my /users/frontrow directory and set the rc.local to execute it there, and it now loads the kexts on startup. Big Grin

HUGE thanks to Davilla for all this. Go have a few beers on me (check your PayPal). Wink
Scott B Wrote:Almost there!!

When I run the enabler.bin, then load the .kext, and then immediately launch XBMC, the CrystalHD option is there and works!!

When I reboot, though, it disappears. This tells me that the rc.local file that I created in /etc isn't properly launching turbo_atv_enabler.bin and then loading the kexts.

Here's what I did:

-Created the rc.local file by performing:
sudo touch /etc/rc.local

-Copied the file to my desktop, opened it in NotePad, and inserted the following into the empty file:
# rc.local
/sbin/turbo_atv_enabler.bin
/sbin/kextload -v /System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext

-Saved the file without renaming and ensuring it didn't get a .txt extension

-Uploaded the rc.local file into /tmp and copied it into /etc using Putty

-Executed the following:

-Opened the rc.local using WinSCP to ensure that the content was still there (WinSCP accesses it read-only)

-Rebooted....no Broadcom kext loading Sad

Yes, turbo_atv_enabler.bin is in the /sbin directory

EDIT:: I think I found a hint:
-bash-2.05b$ cd /sbin
chmod: turbo_atv_enabler.bin: Read-only file system

So I think I need to move it to a different directory.

EDIT 2:: It worked!! I put the turbo_atv_enabler.bin in my /users/frontrow directory and set the rc.local to execute it there, and it now loads the kexts on startup. Big Grin

HUGE thanks to Davilla for all this. Go have a few beers on me (check your PayPal). Wink

/sbin is on OSBoot partition which might be read only (for typical AppleTV). To make it read/write until you reboot

sudo mount -uw /
davilla Wrote:/sbin is on OSBoot partition which might be read only (for typical AppleTV). To make it read/write until you reboot

sudo mount -uw /

That's all well and good, but isn't he sole purpose of the rc.local entry to make the kext load when you reboot?

So in the case of an ATV user relying soley on those directions suggesting /sbin, they'd never be able to reboot and have the kext load automatically. Smile
Scott B Wrote:That's all well and good, but isn't he sole purpose of the rc.local entry to make the kext load when you reboot?

So in the case of an ATV user relying soley on those directions suggesting /sbin, they'd never be able to reboot and have the kext load automatically. Smile

You only need to copy and change permissions once, during install. At that point / is read/write because the installer script changes it to read/write. Once setup, then rc.local will work fine. Also just an FYI, the installer does not use rc.local, it sets up a launchd thingy. So once Andy gets back and we update things, you should revert any changes to rc.local.

Another FYI, a default AppleTV has / read only, there are ways to make it read/write at boot. Some patchstick does this, some do not. It also depends on frontrow plugins that might need / read/write. BUT leaving / read/write leaves one open to various issue with yanking power when the system filesystem has not been flushed to disk.
davilla Wrote:You only need to copy and change permissions once, during install. At that point / is read/write because the installer script changes it to read/write. Once setup, then rc.local will work fine. Also just an FYI, the installer does not use rc.local, it sets up a launchd thingy. So once Andy gets back and we update things, you should revert any changes to rc.local.

Another FYI, a default AppleTV has / read only, there are ways to make it read/write at boot. Some patchstick does this, some do not. It also depends on frontrow plugins that might need / read/write. BUT leaving / read/write leaves one open to various issue with yanking power when the system filesystem has not been flushed to disk.

Got it. I'll leave everything as-is until the installer is updated. Apparently my patchstick (from Nov 2008) didn't make /sbin read/write so the atv_enabler couldn't run. I'm also missing kextstat, so a complete re-patch/build may be in the future...but for now I'm gonna enjoy HD decoding goodness. Smile
Hello buddy,

could you please post what you have exactly done?

regards

muellie

ds129 Wrote:OMG. You guys are gonna kill me.

Riderzzz, instead of reinstalling r26. I went on to delete all the .bin and .dylib files from /usr/lib.

Then, I went on to delete the broadcomcrystalhd.kext file from System/Library/Extensions. That's when i found out the my broadcomcrystalhd.kext was a "directory" and not a file. So, as davilla pointed to me way early, that broadcomcrystalhd.kext should be in

Code:
System/Library/Extensions/

and NOT:

Code:
System/Library/Extensions/BroadcomCrystalHD.kext/

Big mess up on my part. Many apologies.

So, using riderzzz's copy commands earlier in this thread, I copied the files from 2.0.0 into my atv, rebooted, and bam... Allow hardware acceleration (CrystalHD) is now available in Video->Playback.

Many many thanks again davilla and riderzzz. Smile
For the impatient, the crystalhd-for-osx project has a mirror of turbo_atv_enabler.bin.

http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-o...loads/list

To use this just download http://crystalhd.sartori.at/files/crystalhd.plist, modify it to point to a live turbo_atv_enabler.bin, and host the modified crystalhd.plist. Of course, any self-respecting individual should update back to the file at crystalhd.sartori.at once the main turbo file is back up so you get all future updates.
manual install steps until Andy204 gets back...

http://todayguesswhat.blogspot.com/2010/...tions.html
herod98 Wrote:manual install steps until Andy204 gets back...

Thanks herod98.
Sorry. I should have read a bit more.

These instructions for the manual install worked for me:

• 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Manually installing CrystalHD driver/lib/firmware0