next steps for xbmc
i am looking forward to the final release of dharma, but i am interested tho what are the next steps xbmc will take, what is the main focus for the upcoming release after dharma - "eden" (besides a pvr)?

xbmc is a great software, my girlfriend and i love it. but it has some (minor) downsides:

-) xbmc needs to be event-driven -> reduces cpu usage on idle (a htpc should be less power consuming and rather silent). afaik it's in developement, any news so far?
-) more customizable -> easily adding custom menu-items or video libraries("documentaries", "trailers", ....) without the need of a modded/specific skin.
-) improved scraping ('update library': if more than one result was found -> ask for the right one; filter not-scraped items to rescrape them again with another scraper; if scraper1 didn't find anything go to scraper2 and so on)

any chance to see any of these in the next release?
only if you submit patches. we're gonna have our time full adding pvr for eden.
marv_el Wrote:-) improved scraping ('update library': if more than one result was found -> ask for the right one; filter not-scraped items to rescrape them again with another scraper; if scraper1 didn't find anything go to scraper2 and so on)

I am guessing you use themoviedb.org as your movie scraper

Ever since I switched to imdb scraper, I never have movies that are not scraped. Imdb search engine is pretty good (of course not 100% accurate, but good enough) and their database is large enough that, all my movie titles return at least several results from the imdb scraper.

All I have to do is scroll through the video library to see if any movies were scraped incorrectly, if they are, just hit refresh on it and select the correct one.

Plus, the imdb scraper retrieves more info about movies and fills the info page.

EDIT: I don't think the feature you suggested where if the scraper finds more than one match it should ask which one, is a good idea, because imdb scraper finds multiple matches almost every time. And it would be annoying if you had to select each movie. Right now, imdb automatically picks the right movie 99% of the time for me. It sometimes has problems with foreign movies if the file title is the english one, but having the year in the title helps for that.
marv_el Wrote:improved scraping ('update library': if more than one result was found -> ask for the right one; filter not-scraped items to rescrape them again with another scraper; if scraper1 didn't find anything go to scraper2 and so on)

Not to say this wouldn't be a good feature in XBMC - but have you tried one of the media managers discussed in the Supplemental Tools forum, IE Ember Media Manager? They'll give you detailed control over scrape sources, which fanart/etc to use, and even the ability to edit metadata to your preferences.
I personally will be continuing to work on the new scanning interface. It's a long-term project, however, so no guarantees it will make Eden (especially given that I'll also be working on lots of other things!)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
next steps for xbmc0