Plex Nine media center released, adds iOS app
Jezz_X Wrote:While I do find it annoying that they keep just poaching our skins directly with little to no changes aside from compatibility instead of making their own original ones and then essentially claiming them as plex original http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/08/27/showi...t-of-skin/ (no mentioning the original authors at all or that they are ports and announcing it as a feature)

But on the lighter side they do have 2 skins being made just for them now so hopefully they will stop taking ours

LOL they credit "talented" porters but do not credit the original creators of the skin..! Sad
How does Boxee contribution back to XBMC stack up vis-a-vis Plex? Boxee is also partially closed source is it not? The browser component, that lots of us are interested in, has yet to be backported.

I like the fact that Boxee promised access to Boxee Box for XBMC, but that's just a hardware platform not code back to the trunk. It be nice if we could load XBMC into an LG TV too but I think even if the Plex guys wanted that, which I doubt, LG may disagree easily and say no. So software is software and hardware is hardware, things that shouldn't be conflated IMHO. Hardware wise, its much more interesting to get open, stable, drivers for PowerVR than almost anything else right now. That would cover a whole lot of awesome upcoming kit on the market in the sweet spot of $50-$200.
Just a FYI plex doesn't actually run on the LG tv at all, all the LG tv does is accept and play a stream from PLEX Media Server.

So its not really Plex on a TV like all the news posts say all it is, is PMS serving to the tv kind of like a Radio station serves music to your Stereo
Soju Wrote:I like the fact that Boxee promised access to Boxee Box for XBMC

Really? Is this true? Are the Boxee devs gonna give access to all that wonderful PowerVR code they have?

Global players like Apple & Sony and many others like to take open-source software ....
but sometimes they forgot about the gpl and give back the enhanced code they made ...
This is IMHO a shame ....

A lot of other open-source projects have this problem as well ... (busybox as a example)
poofyhairguy Wrote:Really? Is this true? Are the Boxee devs gonna give access to all that wonderful PowerVR code they have?

afaik the boxee guys said that the boxee box would be "open" to flash other stuff on it, but that was at a time when it was still based on tegra2. I don't know how much the situation changed since they went for intel and what d-link thinks of a box that customers will be able to flash all sorts of stuff on, at least in theory.

for the powerVR code, I guess it would make more sense if intel would finally just provide drivers that properly support the VAAPI as I guess that this is the same way how the boxee guys squeezed 1080p playback out of the CE4100 chipset.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Hannes The Hun Wrote:afaik the boxee guys said that the boxee box would be "open" to flash other stuff on it, but that was at a time when it was still based on tegra2. I don't know how much the situation changed since they went for intel and what d-link thinks of a box that customers will be able to flash all sorts of stuff on, at least in theory.

for the powerVR code, I guess it would make more sense if intel would finally just provide drivers that properly support the VAAPI as I guess that this is the same way how the boxee guys squeezed 1080p playback out of the CE4100 chipset.

My dollar says OpenMax.
Jezz_X Wrote:While I do find it annoying that they keep just poaching our skins directly with little to no changes aside from compatibility instead of making their own original ones and then essentially claiming them as plex original http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/08/27/showi...t-of-skin/ (no mentioning the original authors at all or that they are ports and announcing it as a feature)
Ok. This seriously pisses me off. Stare

How can this be allowed?
ashlar Wrote:Ok. This seriously pisses me off. Stare

How can this be allowed?

All skins are credited if I remember correctly, but don't expect to find that info in blog or on home page.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

ashlar Wrote:Ok. This seriously pisses me off. Stare

How can this be allowed?

If you would decide to make nice looking skin for xbmc and would take
gpl as licence. Allmost every xbmc based fork (boxee/plexx) can with
minimal efford use this work. According the gpl this is allowed.
IMHO it is shame what plexx did and here

http://elan.plexapp.com/2010/08/27/showi...t-of-skin/

The big credit goes to the creator of this beauty theme and not the integrators within the plex-team.

Code:
They were then kind enough to work with our design master Jay on an evolution of the MediaStream skin, parts of which you’ve seen in the screencasts. I can’t tell you how much we appreciate the hard work and dedication from these guys, thank you so much for all the help!

IMHO this is rude ....

Plex-Team should play with open cards ....

Code:
I can’t tell you how much we appreciate the hard work and dedication from the xbmc skinners and coders, thank you so much for all the help!
linuxluemmel Wrote:The big credit goes to the creator of this beauty theme and not the integrators within the plex-team.

Just clarification for those who does not know: skin porting is not done by integrators in Plex team, but by 2 or 3 ex XBMC users.

Another maybe interesting thing: notice people comments bellow. They apparently aren't visiting forums and for the lack of info are thinking those great skins were designed by Plex.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

linuxluemmel Wrote:Global players like Apple & Sony and many others like to take open-source software ....
but sometimes they forgot about the gpl and give back the enhanced code they made ...

<jack>What GPL did Apple & Sony forget to give back to?

You know Apple now "owns" CUPS.
WebKit was forked from KHTML and is now used in Chrome, etc.
</jack>
darkscout Wrote:<jack>What GPL did Apple & Sony forget to give back to?

You know Apple now "owns" CUPS.
WebKit was forked from KHTML and is now used in Chrome, etc.
</jack>

Yes ,-) this is correct but Apple was a few times reminded to push back
the changes they made for for KHTML.

IMHO I don' t like Apple and the way they do business.Apple do act now like
microsoft a few years ago.

- Flash is very evil and we decide that you as a customer can not use it ....
- We decide that no MacPC has a bluray ... We have a Online store to buy the movies....

Companys like D-Link and Fortinet have accepted the gpl only after pressure

http://gpl-violations.org/index.html
linuxluemmel Wrote:IMHO I don' t like Apple and the way they do business.Apple do act now like

You're getting WAY off topic now Smile
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

mea culpa :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Plex Nine media center released, adds iOS app0