Samba sharing in XBMCLive Beta
OK a bit of a loss here on how to share my usb attached drives in XBMC Live beta.

I first went about by installing samba.

Quote:sudo apt-get install samba

Then edited my smb.conf to put in my shares

Quote:sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

Quote:[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
netbios name = XBMCLive
security = SHARE
auth methods = guest
domain master = No
wins support = Yes

[Videos]
path = /home/xbmc/Videos
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Music]
path = /home/xbmc/Music
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[TV Shows]
path = /home/xbmc/TV Shows
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Downloads]
path = /home/xbmc/downloads
comment = Downloads Folder
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Pictures]
path = /home/xbmc/Pictures
comment = Pictures
public = yes
only guest = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

[Media]
path = /media
comment = Media
public = yes
guest ok = yes
read only = no

Windows see's the share as a network name of XBMCLIVE as i expect with the shared resources underneath. But i can't write to them, only read Sad What have i done wrong ?
This worked for 9.11 dont know if your using Dharma but also assumes that your username/password when you installed XBMC Live was xbmc

[xbmc tv shows]
comment = XBMC TV Shows
path = /home/xbmc/TV Shows
force user = xbmc
inherit permissions = yes
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
That worked a treat, many thanks Smile
I have found a simple solution, instead of clicking Windows network(SMB), you scroll down and click add network location, leave it set to SMB add the server name, and folder share, user name and pass, don't click browse! When you add it it will add it to the list, look up a few.
sytanek thats using samba shares on xbmc though yes ? I was doing it the other way, using my attached storage on XBMC as samba shares on windows.
Yeah, sorry I know there has so much frustration with samba shares I was just trying to help. lol well now both ways are covered lol.
sytanek Wrote:I have found a simple solution, instead of clicking Windows network(SMB), you scroll down and click add network location, leave it set to SMB add the server name, and folder share, user name and pass, don't click browse! When you add it it will add it to the list, look up a few.

I did the same with my windows 7 pc.

I just put under server name the name of the pc example.. office-pc. I worked no problems after that.
sytanek Wrote:I have found a simple solution, instead of clicking Windows network(SMB), you scroll down and click add network location, leave it set to SMB add the server name, and folder share, user name and pass, don't click browse! When you add it it will add it to the list, look up a few.

The original poster is talking about creating a smb server in xbmclive not as you suggest trying to connect xbmclive to a smb server.
The two are very different. By default xbmclive or linux minimal only serves as a smb client.

This may help http://www.ctunion.com/node/53
EDIT: I now have it working as it should

-=Jason=-
Hi Jason

I just did a

Quote:sudo apt-get install samba

to install samba server

then edited the conf file
Quote:sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf

And wrote within (to share all the mounted drives under /media and asumes your username password are XBMC).

Code:
[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        netbios name = XBMCLive
        security = SHARE
        auth methods = guest
        domain master = No
        wins support = Yes

[Downloads]
comment = Downloads Folder
path = /home/xbmc/downloads
force user = xbmc
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

[Media]
comment = Media
path = /media
force user = xbmc
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

[System]
comment = XBMC System Share
path = /home/xbmc/.xbmc
force user = xbmc
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

This allows me to connect to the revo from my windows computers and see and write to all the usb drives mounted on my XBMC system as well as access the XBMC filesystem and local downloads. Doesn't ask for a password.

This works well with EMM.

Hope that helps.
EDIT: I am not even able to transfer certain music folders via FTP I get some error. so there seems to be a problem with my Win7... FML... I am currently transferring a movie so the same location so its not Samba or permission related

I as able to create a new folder, but when I try and transfer from win7 to my HTPC I get this error

Code:
An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem.

error 0x8007045D: The request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error

the hard drive is an external NTFS drive mounted in my fstab on boot. I can create folders on it and transfer from HTPC to my win7 laptop.. might it be a permissions problem with my mounted shared drive on my HTPC/

I have it at /mnt/wd250 on my htpc

it looks like I can't delete a folder from my HTPC using win 7 but I am able to create folders

-=Jason=-
Are the locations any different with Dharma>
joshhansen Wrote:Are the locations any different with Dharma>

not sure what you mean.

the location of my media has nothing to do with Dharma.

it looks like its a Win 7 Problem with me...

BUT, using media monkey on Win 7 laptop I was trying to get album artwork and it wasn't able to save to my HTPC

-=Jason=-
Not sure Jason, don't use Win 7, only Vista. Have you got the right permissions set on the mounted drive in fstab. Think it should be something like

Quote:/dev/myharddrive /media/mymountpoint ntfs defaults 0 0

scratch that, just re read your last message about transferring a movie file and it not being permission issues.
ftp is not samba so you will need to adjust the folders ftp permissions specially in ftp try chown -R ftpusername:ftpusername on these dirs. e.g. I have media folders in /media my username for ftp or xbmc is xbmc so I done chown -R xbmc:xbmc /media if you want access to all via ftp just replace /media with /

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Samba sharing in XBMCLive Beta0